“Nice country cafe”

Beacon Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 176 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Jackson, Mississippi
“Nice country cafe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

Great breakfast spot for the standard eggs and bacon...and some pretty good pancakes. Inexpensive. Would like to see the confederate flags come off the wall.

Visited April 2013

“Good food and great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Fine dining this is not, but the food is good and the prices are even better. Looks the same as it did twenty years ago.

Batesville, Mississippi
“Been Going Here All My Life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

If NOSTALGIA is your thing, this place is for you! It looks exactly like it looked when I was young in the 70's. You must go here for breakfast. The Beacon breakfast is a staple in Oxford. It is just your plain, old-fashioned, hot, delicious bacon, eggs, and toast type of breakfast. You can get pancakes and other things, but nothing can beat a regular old breakfast for a great price. I love it.

• Visited January 2013
Tupelo, Mississippi
“Local's Favorite”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I have been going to the Beacon since I was a little boy. (47 Now) Boy, time sure flys. Anyway, the Beacon has an awesome breakfast and plate lunch. If you were just riding by you probably would not stop in to give it a try. However, trust me, this is fine hometown cooking at it's best. The decor hasn't changed since I have been alive, but neither has the service. Second to none. If you want a good reasonably priced meal for under $10.00 this is your place. I highly recommend.

• Visited November 2012
Nashville
“A trip back in time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

If you are looking for a gourmet meal, this won't meet your expectations. If you want to experience a place with character (ala the Mayberry Dinner on the Andy Griffith Show), then you just might love this place.
When I was a kid in the 70's, my dad and I would stop at The Beacon when we went to Ole Miss games. Last fall, my teenage son and I stopped to eat there. After 30+ years away, it was still as good as I remembered. We both had cheeseburgers and onion rings. It was great. The lemon ice box pie was still melt in your mouth good.
The locals who came in for supper were greeted by name as they entered the door. They were typically asked about their families. Our waitress called us "honey" and seemed like an old friend. For a short time, I felt like I had traveled back in time to a place where I just felt comfortable. I can't wait to visit it again.

• Visited November 2011