“Date night w Hubby”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of McEwen's Oxford

McEwen's Oxford
Reserve with OpenTable
McEwen's Oxford is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 176 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: South Lamar
Description: Manager: Lee.
New Albany, Mississippi
“Date night w Hubby”
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I ate here recently on a Friday night. It was before school started so the crowd was not so bad and it was early. The food is a bit pricey. But very good. I had the Cioppiono and he had the salmon.. both dishes were great but he liked my seafood stew best. Plan to spend some money, especially if you have drinks and wine. It did get a bit noisy during the meal but we had a very loud girl nearby who never shut her mouth. There's nothing the restaurant can do about that.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Btrout51

Hattiesburg, Mississippi
“No Chicken Piccata! ”
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went to eat at McEwens around 7:30 p.m. There was a nice crowd, but we were seated fairly quickly. We ordered the gnocchi for an appetizer. It was delicious! Creamy rich sauce with sautéed spinach, potatoes, and a slight taste of pecans. Doesn't sound all that appetizing but it was very tasty. For entrées I ordered the Chicken Piccata and he ordered the salmon. When they brought our food out they gave me the sea bass instead. I tasted it and thought it was divine! But sadly I sent it back for the dreadful Chicken Piccata. He ate his salmon and was through 15 minutes before I received my food. The salmon was okay but the flavors were just not there. Not like the sea bass they accidentally sent. Then when I finally did get my food I was very disappointed. It was very bland! And it was sitting in a juice that tasted like olives since the entire dish was covered with them. It was a dreadful ending to what I hoped would be a great meal. This experience was not great. Our first experience was wonderful! When we return we will both be ordering the sea bass!

2 Thank tmcgill1998
Oxford, Mississippi
“The BEST place to eat in Oxford, MS”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

If you go to McEwens, do order the grilled salmon. I have NEVER eaten such a delicious dish in my life. I don't usually order fish but it had been hightly recommended - so I tried it.

It was beautifully presented. the vegetables were delightful. The plate was not "overloaded" with food.

My husband and I are looking forward to returning - soon!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Suzette S
Oxford, Mississippi
“Avoid the weekend student crowd”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

If you arrive early on a weeknight you will enjoy the mostly good food and the modern, airy ambiance, but after eight or so on a weekend evening the giggling, screaming sorority girls in the bar area will make your experience not worth the high prices.

• Visited October 2013
“Never a fan of Salmon until trying McEwens! Now I crave theirs.”
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I had the opportunity to photograph several dishes for a local magazine and afterwards we tried them. We had the Crab Napolean, Salmon and Tuna. I wasn't going to try the Salmon because I have never like it before. But it sitting there beautifully paired with Capers, tomato spinach ragout and balsamic glaze, I couldn't not try it. It was the best thing I've ever eaten. The outside of the salmon has a seared crispness paired with the salty, sweet and acid of the other flavors. I now crave this dish and McEwen's is our go to "nice" restaurant. A lot of the vegetables and herbs are grown locally and you won't meet a nicer staff anywhere.

I tried salmon several ways by chefs at the National Restaurant Show and was disappointed by each bite I took, only to reaffirm that the best and only Salmon that I liked was here at McEwens.

• Visited February 2014