“Unpretentious”
Review of Rowan Oak

Rowan Oak
Ranked #2 of 30 things to do in Oxford
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Depending on what direction you come into Oxford from this can be difficult to find. There is one small sign showing the direction to the site. It is located on the left in a curve on Old Taylor Road. This was my second visit and on both occasions there were only a handful of visitors. The self-guided tour is inexpensive-right around five dollars. There is staff there and they will try to answer your questions, but I did not have the impression that they new volumes about Faulkner. Faulkner's bedroom is particularly cool as he outlined a novel by writing thumbnail sketches on the wall. The grounds are also nice to walk around. This should take you around an hour to tour the house and grounds. I could see someone who knew virtually nothing about Faulkner in advance leaving with little extra knowledge. No real gift shop to speak of. However, it was refereshing to go to an historic site and not have to deal with large crowds, be able to go at my own pace, and truly think about what I was seeing rather than having information force fed to me by a guide or computer. Well worth a visit.

There are newer reviews for Rowan Oak

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Took a day trip to Oxford, MS to visit one of the shrines of one of America's greatest writers. You can tour the house and the grounds at your leisure and see the room where William Faulkner outlined an entire novel by writing on his bedroom wall. Truly sublime, even though I wish there was more than a few cases with bits and pieces of genius tucked away in corners.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Interesting house and good visual history of Faulkner. Tour is self-guided and plain so one doesn't really get a vibrant flavor of Faulkner or his life.

1  Thank Tony h
Reviewed June 23, 2013

For me, a first visit to Oxford, but as a world traveler and master of the run-on sentence I needed to genuflect at the shrine of he who gave me permission to demonstrate that skill at every opportunity.

I begin with a question. If the Mississippi State Police don't know where Rowan Oak is, will the fire department? Gosh... this place is very hard to find. A plan that the conservators put in place to protect the sanctity of the home and it's environs. Only the Exxon cashier knew its location. Quoting," six short blocks down, turn at Old Taylor and drive about 3 blocks in." Yup, there it was, one very small sign. but once there and ill parked, it was worth the drive from Washington.

All true to the period, many authentic furniture pieces and what struck me as great was Faulkner's story-book outline of a work ... inscribed on the wall of his study.

What also struck me - as I'm certain it did others - were the pitfalls of uneven elevations in the floors. Visitors of any age could break their noses. Dangerous but most - most charming.

The absence of marketing - the antethesis of Ernest Hemmingway's legacy in Key West should probably have a revisit. Only in the sense that the gardens could be restored to their original state and a sprinkler system installed. The host told me it was an "outstanding" day with 86 people paying the $5 fee. What, just what could be accomplished with a sign on the highway other than the Rand McNally map.

So . . . Sinclair Lewis, S. Clements, Hemmingway, Upton Sinclair, done. Who's home next ?

1  Thank volvo57
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We walked around the place after hours. Loved the old out buildings. The house is beautiful.
Even though we didn't go inside, we enjoyed the visit.

1  Thank Michelle M