“Two bad experiences in a row=beer going back”
Review of Snackbar

Snackbar
Ranked #21 of 180 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Douglas Street
“Two bad experiences in a row=beer going back”
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Where to begin. While the food always promises more in words than what arrives on the plate, we kept going back because they are open late and we often get into town late on Friday nights. Also, sometimes we would luck out and get something actually good. The second to last tome we went we sat outside and our service was slow, but we weren't in a hurry so we didn't mind. My husbands food was inedible. He ordered a dish with fried pigs ears (which can be really good) but these were chewy and the flavor was awful. so he ordered something else. My dish tasted nothing but spicy-not surprised as a big problem with Currences restaurants is being heavy handed. Right before my husbands second entree arrived a girl walked out the door of the restaurant and threw up over the railing right beside us. To say the least the event and the smell that followed made us lose our appetites. As staff was cleaning it up, we asked (note we had to ask!) if we could move and they moved us to the next table over a few feet away. For obvious reasons we couldn't eat the second entree. While I understand it was not their fault that the girl threw up beside us I was shocked that they didnt offer anything more, but to move us to the next table over. To shorten the next story. We had late reservations one Friday night and had guests with us. After ordering drinks and appetizers two of the people in our party were still not sure what they wanted and asked the waitress if they could have some more time. She brought our food and told us if we wanted dessert to order it because their kitchen had closed. We were Shocked that she didn't decide to tell us that when we asked for more time. So two of our party walked out of there having only shared an appetizer. We had reservations for crying out loud! if its too late to serve someone don't give them reservations. When we complained to the staff and chef, we barely got an apology. I'm not one to give a bad review based on a single bad experience with staff, because you never know-it could be isolated. But bad to mediocre food plus the staff problems that clearly come from the top down, and complete disrespect for customers mean I will not spend my money there again.

1 Thank Ijustwantgoodfood

Oxford, Mississippi
“Snackbar - John Currence's latest addition to Oxford”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Snackbar, which is next door to Big Bad Breakfast [also by Currence] is the latest addition to the City Grocery Group. More casual than City Grocery, Snackbar features oysters on the half shell, shrimp, and clams in the raw bar. That is just for starters. Also served are "small plates" which are dishes with no sides, reminding one of Spanish tapas. To round out the menu, you can choose from "not so small plates" which are complete meals. The focus is on the freshest ingredients from local farms [including John's own]. The setting is very comfortable and attractive - booths, some individual tables, a communal table seating about twenty, and an oyster bar.

Visited November 2012
Ashburn, Georgia, United States
“Good food, long wait!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Ate here our first night. Really tired from trip and had a long wait, but it was worth it! The food was great, I had the French Onion Soup and nibbled off everyone's plate. It was all good. The inside was really narrow, almost claustrophobic, and there is no place to stand while you wait for your table. We were here on an away weekend for Ole Miss. Would not want to be here on a crowded weekend due to the weird setup inside.

Washington, D.C.
“One of the best bartenders - EVER!”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stopped in for a drink. Found a very talented bartender on duty who had an amazing array of concoctions. We opted for the Manhattans with bacon infused bitters that he had created. Absolutely delicious. He directed us to a good liquor store in town where we could find the small batch bourbon that he had used to make the drink. Also told us that BBB (big bag breakfast) right next door smoked their own meats - we headed there for breakfast the next day and had a very memorable breakfast. I wish I could have bought all the goodies for sale at the counter - the bacon was absolutely delicious. He was a treasure trove of local information and I will never forget how good his cocktails were. We went to dinner elsewhere that night, but I really should have stayed right there.

• Visited October 2011
Oxford Ms
“always great”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Only of my favorite places to go in Oxford.
Oysters on the half shell are my go-to for happy hour (especially when wine comes with a dozen for $15).
It is as casual or dressy as you prefer (within reason). The food is wonderful. John Currence's reputation is good enough to get people to go, but the food is what keeps them coming back.
The drink list is exquisite and constantly changing.

Visited May 2012