“Overrated. Many better places to eat in the area.”
Review of Ravine

Ravine
Ranked #6 of 187 Restaurants in Oxford
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

For our 10 year anniversary we decided to try somewhere new. Although I am familiar with most of Oxford's offerings I decided to consult tripadvisor for suggestions. When this came up as the number 1 choice I knew this was it because I had always wanted to try it. It's a beautiful restaurant in a peaceful setting but that's it.
I had checked the very small menu on the website to make sure that they had something for my husband, and there was a filet and ribeye so I knew we were good.

Welllllllll. The menu was different and there was only a strip on the menu. The waiter did go ask and found my husband a filet in the back so he ordered that med rare. I ordered chicken breasts over a veg ragout with some herb sauce. My chicken came out as a leg/ thigh quarter. Umm nasty and not worth the pricey amt being charged for it. I contemplated not saying anything but decided I was hungry and couldn't eat the slimy chicken. He apologized took it back brought me a menu then realized that it did indeed say breasts. While I was trying to choose from the 6 entrees something else he came and informed me that they had found chicken breasts.
Meanwhile my husband had finished his medium well filet while I was waiting. Finally my food came out and it was good but no better than 90% of oxfords meals.

Meanwhile my sweet tea remained near empty. Finally another waitress noticed I needed a refill and came to my rescue.

Take my advise and go eat at Ajax. We should have but didnt.

2  Thank Lkzmom

Reviewed July 30, 2012

My husband & I have eaten many time at the Ravine and have enjoyed it every time. The food is excellent and well prepared. We have always had great service..helpful & friendly. Although we have taken children, I would not recommend it. When we did have a large group we were seated in a room off the main dining room which was quite pleasant. Weather permitting, dining on the porch is quite enjoyable.... Certainly not in the hot summer but late fall or early spring works well. Ask for a table in front of the fireplace in the winter . This is one of our favorite places for a quiet meal for 2 or 4.

1  Thank Btrout51
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

It is with disappointment that I write this review as I like to say mostly positive things regarding restaurants that others have tried and recommended -- giving owners and chefs the benefit of my constructive criticism. This is not the case with Ravine. We will not go back as there was nothing that gave us reason to do so.

The menu descriptions paired surprising and unusual ingredients which delighted our table. However, the dishes as presented failed to demonstrate a blending of those tastes which seemed to simply occupy the plate in proximity to each other.

As an example, In the pork dish the strong fruit flavor (peaches) virtually obliterated the taste of the meat. Trying to create something unique, the chef failed to achieve a skillful or enjoyable presentation.

The restaurant was packed on the night that we were there and our overwhelmed waiter just couldn't give everyone the attention necessary to make us feel unneglected. He would rush by our table suggesting that he was there to answer questions or offer assistance only to rush away while wiping his brow without waiting to see if there were problems or comments from us.

I was impressed that the owner takes great pride in his recycling commitment and his use of locally-grown products. However I would suggest that too much of his efforts are being made in this regard and not in mastering a fine dining experience.

2  Thank DBAinGEORGIA
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The owner/chef is my favorite chef in Oxford. The food is fresh. They grow their own vegetables. The wines are thoughtfully offered with the food offered. The place itself is romantic. My wife and I love it.

1  Thank WKMoore
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We have been to The Ravine, a bed and breakfast inn and restaurant several time over the year. Especially interesting and unique for this area is the tapas menu on Wednesdays. The tapas are a Spanish staple [small plates or portions] featuring fresh fish, vegetable selections, and various meats. The Ravine's menu includes such items as cheeses, olives, excellent clams, squid and either sausages, meatballs, or mini-burgers. All is tasty and well presented. The dining rooms are comfortable and very attractive. The service gracious. Enjoy!

1  Thank Walt A

Been to Ravine? Share your experiences!