“Great meal, fun experience”
Review of Ajax Diner

Ajax Diner
Ranked #1 of 186 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We took a tour of Ole Miss with our teenagers, and we were told by an Ole Miss alumni to eat here. There was a short line when we arrived at lunch, and then we were seated. The food was really good, and it had a fun atmosphere. The only windows were in the front, so it was a little dark in there. Our server was super nice, just what you'd expect at a café in the South. And it didn't hurt that Eli Manning and his family sat a table away from us. :)

Reviewed July 20, 2013

My 16 year old son and I visited Ajax Diner on a Tuesday evening around 5:00. We had no problem getting a table and were seated in the front dining area close to the bar. Our server was Logan, who did a great job. She was attentive and very friendly. There weren't many people in the restaurant when we first arrived, but closer to 5:30, this place started to fill up.

I ordered the chicken and dumplings, and chose green beans and squash casserole as my two sides, for $10.00. The chicken and dumplings were terrific, probably some of the best I've had. I thought the green beans were nicely seasoned and flavorful. The squash casserole was fantastic. It is heavily peppered, so if you do not like a lot of pepper, you may not care for the squash casserole. Personally, I loved it. My son ordered the chicken fried steak and chose fries and okra as his sides, also for $10.00. He loves chicken fried steak and really enjoyed the dish at Ajax. I had a bite myself, and thought it was quite tasty. The fried okra was delicious. (I had a bite of that too.) The okra was breaded more with flour versus the typical cornmeal breading.

The only suggestion that I could give to Ajax Diner would be to give it a good scrub down and update and brighten the decor. Don't get me wrong, the restaurant was not dirty. It was just rather dim and a bit worn out looking.

Overall, we enjoyed Ajax Diner. My son loved it. Our food was wonderful and our service was spot on. We will most definitely return when we come back to Oxford.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I stumbled across this place while walking along the square and realized that I had read about this place several months before on Trip Advisor (how about that plug) and that it mostly had good reviews. It was lunchtime on a Saturday and the place was packed. I almost walked out, but managed to find a table at the back and decided to give it a try. My fare was basic: Sweet Tea, a Catfish Po Boy, and Fries. The catfish po boy was particularly well done and needed no condiments added to it for flavor. I left full and with a bill that only amounted to 10 dollars. Service was ok as well. I left satisfied that is all that I can say.

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I love the meatloaf & squash casserole here. The squash casserole is literally like a dessert it's so good. Ajax also has a fun, eclectic atmosphere w/ local art throughout. Great food & I've never had a problem w/ service. My fav place to eat downtown.

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We both got the blue plate (meat and 2 veggies) which we rated very good. Good "home" cooking - pot roast and grilled pork chop. Vegetables not over-cooked or over-fried. Would go back to try something else. Service was very good (polite, attentive, and efficient). Casual "diner" atmosphere with good "oldies" music.