“Only Been Once”

Southaven, Mississippi
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Only Been Once”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I am from OB, and I have only been to Hazel's once. The service was okay, but the food was terrible. I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Visited November 2012

Collierville, TN
“Meat and Three”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

After reading some other reviews, we were a little hesitant to visit Hazel's, but we had a groupn, so off we went. It was a little hard to find, but a call to the restaurant gave us directions from a very friendly voice. We had excellent service and we could tell that the restaurant had regulars from the way the waitresses greeted them and chatted with them. There is not much in the way of decor, but Hazel's does not pretend to be a fine dining experience. As for the food: good but not spectacular. The vegetables were canned, but tasty. I had country fried steak which was good; I wanted fried chicken, but the waitress was honest and said it would take 15-20 extra minutes. That would have been good, not sitting under a heat lamp, but I was hungry and didn't want to wait. My husband had chicken and dressing which was not exactly what he expected; the chicken was mixed into the dressing, not separate, but was tasty. The mashed potatoes and baked sweet potato were very good. A table card recommended their "homemade" desserts. We both had coconut pie, but overheard the waitress say that the pies and cake, while probably "homemade" were bought from an outside source. Still, the pie was good. Hazel's is pretty far from home for us, but I expect we will return when we want meat and vegetables. It is worth a try.

• Visited December 2012
Memphis, Tennessee
“Has gone downhill significantly since relocation”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The service from the regular waitresses is excellent but.. Since the relocation, the food is some of the worst food I've ever eaten. I've gone through the menu trying to find something I could eat. I've gotten baked chicken that was almost raw. I love cheeseburgers and the ones I've gotten there recently are the only cheeseburgers I've eaten in my life that I could say were bad. I ordered chicken strips and they weren't cooked enough either. I finally thought I could rely on the grilled cheese sandwich thinking no one could ruin a grilled cheese. Well Hazel's did. The last one I got tasted like it had been prepared in a pan that the dishwishing soap hadn't been washed out of it. I didn't even finish it.

Their vegetable selection is very limited and it varies from day to day. Whoever heard of a restaurant like this not having corn or green beans?

The menu selections have been greatly reduced in the past year or so. The hours the restaurant is open have been cut back.

The owner usually sits at the back making no effort to speak to her customers. I've stood at the register wanting to put in a takeout order and she would look at me and turn her head.

This restaurant survives only because it has virtually no competition.

Visited June 2012
Covington, Louisiana
“Great place to eat!”
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Went for dinner on our 1st night in Olive Branch. Had the Liver and onions and turnip greens and mashed potatoes. Delicious! My husband had fried chicken livers and hull peas and a baked potato. He said the livers were cooked perfectly. Not overcooked like most restaurants do. We each had a beverage. Our whole meal was under $20.00! We went back for breakfast the next morning, and that was great as well! Will definitely return!

Visited March 2012
Southaven, Mississippi
“Great Service & Great Food”
Reviewed February 11, 2012

My husband & I eat there all the time, good home cooking, great value & we have never had bad service.

• Visited January 2012