“Hair, red mold, and noisy”

Travelodge - Ocean Springs
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Ocean Springs
Reviewed May 21, 2012

After looking at this hotel and reading some reviews I thought that this hotel sounded to good to be true for the price. It of course was. As soon as my friend and I got to our room we opened the door and noticed a musty smell in the room and the window had been left wide open.. The bathroom shower curtain had 3 inches worth of red mold growing on it which we both found to be quite disgusting. To make things worse, when either of us tried to shower the water would not drain and reached our ankles... GROSS! The bathroom floor and shower had hair in it (which was not ours) and the towels had holes in them. To top it all off... at 12:30 and 4:30am we were woken up by the train. I could literally walk out of the room and in less than 20ft walk over the train tracks. The location of the hotel is awful, the rooms was absolutely disgusting, and I will never ever stay at another travel lodge. I find it quite suprising that this hotel has gotten decent reviews from others and that it was suggested by hotwire.com. I hope no one else experiences this where they stay....

Room Tip: bathroom shower curtains have red mold, and the bathroom shower wall and floor have previous guests...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
chirag M, Manager at Travelodge - Ocean Springs, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Thank you for your business and for posting a review on this site. We beleive both positive as well as constructive negative comments help us to improve ourselves. We are sorry that you had an unpleasant experience at our motel.

i believe that air must have not been left on due to which the room smelt a bit musty as humidity plays a major role in summer months. we'll also make sure the curtains are washed regularly for our guests.

We hope you will give us another chance to serve you again.

Reviewed May 19, 2012

we stayed here on 5/18. we reserved a room with 2 queen beds and were pleasanlty surprised with our overall stay. staff was very accomadating and friendly.rooms were very clean, wi-fi worked great in our room and so did everything else. one of the hidden treasures of ocean springs.

highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Chirag M, Manager at Travelodge - Ocean Springs, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

We thank you for your business and taking time for posting a review on this site. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Travelode Ocean Springs and hope to welcome you back soon again.

Please note that guests can now call, e-mail directly at the number/address listed above our Travelodge photo above,

thank you.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

We were surprised with this place being so CLEAN.. It is almost like being in a beach cottage.. ONLY issue is that the walls are paper thin....and they do have a train track right behind you..
Walking distance from Washington Ave which is very nice & the beach was really nice.. Worth the $60.00/night charge.....Bed comfy & people were friendly & would go back again..

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
chirag M, Manager at Travelodge - Ocean Springs, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2012

we thank you for your business and positive review and look foward to seeing you again in near future,

Reviewed March 25, 2012

At first glance, Sapphire Inn was a cute Inn in a decent location, though hard to get to . . . at that point, I was willing to give the place a 7 or even 8 out of 10 (Inconvenience of getting to the place while traveling on the opposite side of the highway and lack of amenities such as a pool, breakfast, etc. initially caused such a rating.) However, everything that I went through there after checking in quickly made the rating fluctuate.
The Room was clean, which was nice, but very “closed in” feeling (I had a single king sized bed room), as the room was quite small and the furniture and fixtures were very overbearing. There were no ceiling lights, only a light on the wall which was hidden behind a very tall tv cabinet/dresser and 3 lamps . . . all of which you had to fumble with in order to finally get to turn on. The windows upstairs where I was lacked blinds (which downstairs had), so you got the choice of showing your room off to everyone or sitting in the darkness. The door leading outside had a broken chain lock, and the oversized bathroom door hit against the toilet every time it was opened or closed… that is if you managed to squeeze between the toilet and the tub every time you went to open or close it. The tv in the room was nice, but rather small and its controller was held together with a piece of packing tape… apparently people are stealing the backs off controllers these days… The alarm clock/radio was nifty for listening to music while doing other things . . . but don’t plan on being able to turn it off without beating it to death. The room had a microwave, fridge, and coffee pot. 1 out of 3 of those actually functioned properly. The bed was hard and felt like sleeping on a crib mattress (waterproof mattress pad on it), but either out of sheer tiredness or the fact that it was semi comfortable, I managed to get a decent nights sleep. … That is if one doesn’t count the loud trains that rattle the entire place at all hours of the day and night and “Housekeeping” who woke me up at 10AM…
And as a very important note: If internet availability and usage means anything to you, you might not want to choose Sapphire. Both me and the person I was with had no luck staying on the internet for longer than 10 minutes at a time before it kicked us off, and while we were on it, it was very slow. We had full bars, but something just wasn’t right with it. The staff was alerted of the problem and they said that they would fix it… but many frustrating hours later, it still didn’t work properly.

But, as I said, I give it a 4 out of 10 . . . because I have spent nights in places which were SO much worse.

Room Tip: For 2 people, even if you don't normally sleep together, the spacious king sized bed provides pl...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cecillia W

Thank you for your business and for posting a review on this site. We believe both positive as well as constructive negative comments help us to improve ourselves. We are sorry that you had an unpleasant experience at our establishment.

we have now corrected issues like wi-fi services, changing old remote controls and alarm clocks to new ones in almost all the rooms. our property is going thru a transition from being a sapphire inn to a Travelodge Ocean Springs.

We are glad, however, that you liked the cleanliness of our motel.

once again. we thank you for your business and taking time for posting a review on this site.

the Manager.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

First let me start by saying we wanted a cheap hotel for St. Patrick's Day in Biloxi and we got this room for $55 on Priceline. That being said, the hotel room was decent sized and clean. The staff was friendly. The hotel on the outside was ok and the location in regards to downtown Ocean Springs & Biloxi was perfect.
Now for the "not so good"...
There are train tracks about 10 feet behind the hotel and while we were there, they ran at least five times. We got back to our room from the pub crawl at about midnight and after that, the train ran at least four times. The whole room shook. That actually was not the reason we woke up at 5:30am, it was the ROOSTER that had to be in the parking lot!! Not sure if he is always there, but during our stay, he was!! He started crowing about 5:30 and didn't stop until after the third time the train went by.
Overall, this was an ok hotel for the price, but if you want to sleep in, maybe stay further away from the tracks!!

Room Tip: You are going to want a room at the front of the hotel, away from the tracks.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your business and for posting a review on this site.
We are glad that you liked the cleanliness of our motel and recognised the refurbishment with good intent.

we understand that the trains can be noisy sometimes. Thats part of the city's railway system which sadly cannot be altered as you know. the rooster doesnt belong to the motel also. he probably jumped the rail tracks and came on our property.

We hope you will give us another chance to serve you again.

Reviewed February 25, 2012

We stayed here on a whim to be within walking distance to Historic Downtown Ocean Springs and could not have been more pleasantly surprised with this hotel. Staff was super friendly, rooms were beautiful, and the location was wonderful - and I'm usually a hotels worst critic! I would stay here again and highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Ewsgogo

A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 25, 2002

I spend a tremendious amount of time on the road traveling with my job. I have visited more Hotels and motels than I care to remember. However, The Super 8 Motel in Ocean Springs, Mississippi stands out and is worth remenbering. The courtesy of the staff was exempliary. When I arrived at the motel, It was pouring down raining. The staff came to my car , met me there and assisted with my luggage. The staff was very kind and courteous. My room was emmaculant and I received service that is typical of a room that normaly, would cost many times over. I was more empressed with this Super 8 motel, than any other that I have ever visited. Dr. Johnny Gilbert, Regional Director, Realty World America

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Mr. Gilbert, we thank you for staying with us and leaving a positive review and look foward to seeing you again in near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocean Springs
Super 8 Ocean Springs Biloxi
#5 of 9 in Ocean Springs
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Biloxi- Ocean Springs
Gulf Hills Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Travelodge - Ocean Springs? Share your experiences!