“So bad it was funny!”
Review of Lil Italy - CLOSED

Lil Italy
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed September 19, 2012

At least we didn't get sick! I was hoping this place was good because of their advertising... "Authentic Chicago Italian". The food at the little shack was fair but I thought maybe with a real restaurant? Nope. Worse. If you've ever been in an old, sleazy bar on an early Saturday afternoon then you will recognize the dreariness of this place. Still hoping, though. The server took our drink orders but no wine for me. There was no one working that was old enough to serve alcohol. Okay, a Coke. Yay, they have mussels on the menu! But... they're out. (Fortunately for us, in retrospect.) By now we were ready to eat and leave so we ordered a couple of sandwiches... Chicken Parmesan and Italian Sausage. Simple order but the wait was excruciating. Both tasted good but most of the way into the sandwiches we realized that the chicken and sausage were raw. Now the hopeless ordeal was funny, laughing while planning to head closer to home or the hospital. On the upside, the server was friendly and the the fries weren't bad. I think this "Authentic Italian Restaurant" is just a bar. Fine. Except you can't serve drinks! Restaurant? I hope they slip up and eat their own cooking.

There are newer reviews for Lil Italy

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I tried this place to compare to some of the other Italian restaurants on the coast. First of all, this is not an 'Italian' restaurant, they boast to service 'Authentic Chicago Food', so the name is misleading. I've never been to Chicago, but if the food is like it is at this restaurant, I never want to go. 'Bland and Overcooked' should be the name of this restaurant. Additionally, they should install a bug zapper in there to help with the fly problem. We ate off cheap plates and rickety tables and chairs that are unbalanced. For a while I felt like I was on Candid Camera but then realized it was just a poor dining experience. This place needs to shape up or they'll be out of business soon.

1  Thank Fred T
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The food was better when they were at the trailer. The quality of food has gone down since they went full-scale, and their service is slow and laughable. The atmosphere leaves a lot to be desired as well. The wine selection is a joke. I've eaten here twice and the food was bland and/or overcooked. It seems the owner is always drunk and he likes to come around and talk to everybody, it made me quite uncomfortable.

Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

I have eaten here twice and the food was great both times. I had ribs once and the Italian beef sandwich the other. They were still at old location on Washington though so I cannot review on new location. My only issue was with the Italian beef sandwich, and that being that the bread got so soggy from the juices it fell apart and got messy. It had a great taste though. I would eat it again but would be more prepared for the sogginess. Lol. In short it was a great place to eat and I will definitely eat there again if I am in the area.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Tony and Lori started off Lil Italy as a small take out drive thru with authentic Italian recipes from their Chicago home. Since expanding, they now have a full dining room and full bar.
Offering authentic Italian dishes such as Italian Roast Beef, pasta, mussels, veal, homemade pizza, gyros, and so much more.
And during the weekend it turns into a local nightspot to hang out and just have a good time.
If you are looking for good Italian food in an area that is pretty much devoid of anything decent, Lil Italy is the place to be.
www.lilitaly.net