“Pretty disappointed”

Ranked #14 of 147 Restaurants in Ocean Springs
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Family Owned Seafood Restaurant ~ Serving Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner. Beautiful waterfront view with overhanging live oak trees looking over Fort Bayou in Ocean Springs. Lunch & Dinner specials during the week, Happy Hour every day from 4pm-7pm & Banquet Rooms available for Special Occasions.
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I used to live on the Gulf Coast and frequented McElroys often. We were back down on the coast this past weekend and I saw the restaurant and suggested to my wife that we go there for some good gulf coast seafood. Boy, was I surprised. They had stuffed crabs on the menu, which I love. Little did I know when I ordered them, that I was going to be served some prefabricated crab substitute served in an aluminum foil crab shaped thing. As a native of the Gulf Coast, I guess I was just spoiled as a young man and expected fresh gulf seafood. What a shame. On the upside - Our server, Kellie, was awesome. Guess I won't be returning to McElroys.

There are newer reviews for McElroy's on the Bayou

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I ordered broiled seafood platter. It was watery, not done and I could not believe someone on the coast could do that. I saw the microwave in the back as well, and suspect a lot is cooked that way. I love seafood and live 2 hours inland, but I can run rings around that plate.
I ate at the old McElroys 13 years ago, and swore I'd never return. I only went because company wanted to try it. Hate our Tx neighbors and northerns thought this was normal.....

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Husband and I had a very good lunch of grits and shrimp. There was a nicely spiced cream sauce topped with bacon bits on this dish. Atmosphere was casual and comfortable. We sat outside overlooking the Gulf. Service was friendly and prompt.
We would definitely eat there again.

1  Thank fszedlmayer
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

View of bayou together with a wonderful lunch was very satisfying. Shrimp and grits were the best. Gumbo with 1/2 shrimp Po boy was delicious and portion was huge. Service was great.

1  Thank MIAMISHEILA
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a wonderful lunch with a lovely view. My husband had the very best shrimp and grits, which was superb and generously portioned. I had gumbo ( yummy), and half a shrimp Po boy. ( the shrimp order was huge for half a sandwich.)
We would definitely return.

1  Thank MIAMISHEILA