“Look them up and read about them before you go.”
Review of Shearwater Pottery

Shearwater Pottery
Ranked #1 of 10 Shopping in Ocean Springs
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded by Peter Anderson in 1928, this workshop features works by Anderson family members.
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I think we got there at a bad time. There wasn't much variety in the showroom and I thought 17.00 for a mug was a lot. We went to the workshop and annex and felt a little uncomfortable as they weren't real welcoming. My husband started asking questions and chatting and they warmed up and began to talk more. So it ended up being a nice visit but they seemed to expect us to know everything when we got there about the history and the family and we were clueless. Later I looked at their website and then could appreciate the artistic beauty and variety of the pottery produced. But it wasn't available in the showroom. I didn't realize the artist Ocean Springs is crazy about was a member of the family when I went so I was having trouble putting it all together.

1  Thank AnneS30809

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Happened upon shearwater while riding around looking at the sites, and was glad we stopped. This is gulf coast culture. Simply amazing.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

If you're a Walter Anderson fan, you have to make this trip, if only to invest in some more affordable prints or pottery from the family that still continues to turn crafts into art down on the coast. We bought some wood block WA alphabet cards, handpainted by one of his nieces. I wish we had been able to stay longer and buy more. This pottery gets mentioned on the Antique Roadshow and will likely hold its value or appreciate over the years.

1  Thank LauraJean
Reviewed July 22, 2013

A trip to Ocean Springs is not complete without a trip to the Shearwater Showroom. There is a display of beautiful pieces of old Shearwater pottery and there is a showroom full of new pieces to purchase. Very reasonable prices works of art and pottery. I realized i had a old piece of Shearwater pottery after visiting the showroom. What a surprise!

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful pottery, ceramics, silk-screened prints from the Anderson family. Beautiful, beautiful work, and an incredibly friendly and helpful staff. You may need to ask directions to the family compound, but it's worth the effort!

2  Thank Ian411Ian