“Great tasting and fresh food”
Review of Phoenicia Gourmet

Phoenicia Gourmet
Ranked #7 of 145 Restaurants in Ocean Springs
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
“Great tasting and fresh food”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I eat at the Phonecia on a regular basis for one reason..the food is great! I typically get one of the fresh fish dishes and my wife is in love with the Chicken Shwarma. Whenever we are in the mood for some good food at reasonable prices this is where we eventually end up. The wait staff is generally pleasant and the atmosphere is nice. It's a nice place to go on a dinner date and I can say I have never had a bad meal here.

• Visited May 2014

Sterling
“Hype, Hype, but no Hoorah.”
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

In town for a family celebration and chose Phonicia Gourmet, Big mistake. First we learned that they don't have a liquor license. According to locals it's because "they don't want the hassle with the city." Whatever? They will let you bring your own and charge you a corkage fee. Fine, but when you're traveling, having to shlep your own bottles around is more trouble than it's worth even when the place is great. Totally not worth it when it's as mediocre as we experienced especially for the prices they charge.

We arrived early and there were only two other tables of patrons. They had a list of "specials" that was as long as the menu, at least eight or nine by my count. Seriously, if you have that many how special can they be? Unfortunately our waitress had not written any of them down, and kept losing her place because every time the front door opened she stopped talking to make a full turn of her head to see who came in. Then she would stop and have to be reminded by us what she had told us already. We ordered our meals, no appetizers becasue we were expected somewhere but we had arrived with an more than an hour and a half to spare so thought that would be enough time. None of us ordered anything difficult but a full half hour later were still waiting for our food. When it arrived it was cold. The food had good flavor but it was cold and with only a dozen or so people in the place you should be able to put out a hot meal in a reasonable amount of time. I can't imagine how long you have to wait....with out a cocktail no less, when the place is packed.

We ate our cold food in haste so we could depart quickly and make our event. One in the party stayed behind to take care of the check while the rest of us went ahead. He asked for a box for two of the entrees but never got them and never saw the server again. He even asked the hostess to find her but after waiting another ten minutes had to depart or miss the event entriely.

Very disappointing after all we had heard and read. Will not be repeating when in town for the next family gathering or celebration. There are too many great places on the coast where service is consistent, food is great and served hot that we will look forward to enjoying on the next trip to town.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank 2Travelers2Dogs
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
“Worth your time and money.”
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

The food is always fresh. I recommend all the Swarma dishes, which are reasonably priced. An added plus is they serve you complementary hummus and pita bread before your meal, which is the best! The restaurant also offers a very nice breakfast.

• Visited February 2014
Mobile, Alabama
“The best restaurant in Ocean Springs”
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

I'm sorry other reviewers but you got this one wrong. The dishes is it always has been the best restaurant in Ocean Springs and is not even close nor will it ever be. I understand some people may not like Greek middle eastern Thai food and maybe that's why it's rated number eight. Also the owner of the establishment Sam gets mad and fires his wait staff about every other week so the service is always a little iffy. However I'm pretty sure he also threatens to kill his cooks each and every day so the food is always fresh and extremely extremely consistent. If you had a bad meal there you're really really unlucky and you might as will hang up on playing the lottery the restaurant is right off of government by downtown Ocean Springs in the tourist renovated area of town sometimes referred to as old town. Parking is it always has been a nightmare. If there are no cars at Todd Boswell's salon like on Mondays you can usually park there. As I stated previously don't judge the restaurant by the service because the owner is extremely extremely difficult and demanding and I used to joke have a running joke about how the waitstaff changed every Monday. They can't take it anymore and quit or they get fired. However the same demanding attitude that Sam has towards waitstaff DSW so toward his food he simply will not let something come out of the kitchen that isn't up to their standards or somebody will pay. I almost always get the same thing when I go to this restaurant the combination swarma. I usually get a spinach salad with this as well. The hummus and pita bread that you get before you mail arrives is really as good as I've had anywhere in the world. And it's always extremely consistent. The kebabs also very good and when I'm there with visitors they almost always order one of the specials which is usually some seafood dish. and they always think of me after the meal for showing them this outstanding restaurant that they can add to their repertoire. I have recommended this restaurant to dozens of people from all over the United States love years and I've never had anyone not tell me how much they enjoyed it and appreciate the recommendation. I simply cannot say that for any other restaurant we goes of the price. Thursdays for lunch but probably the most crowded during the week unless there's a festival that it seems to be in Ocean Springs ritual tradition for everyone to eat there on Thursdays. It's not cheap and you can anticipate paying about $15 a head for lunch. However the serving sizes are above average is Sam doesn't leave let anyone leave their hungry. It simply is day to day year-to-year the most consistent and the best restaurant in Ocean Springs and has been almost since the day it opened. And they're all a lot of great restaurants in ocean Springs.

2 Thank Jackfish28
Columbia, South Carolina
“Excellent Service, Food Good”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I was visiting in Ocean Springs and took a former student of mine who works there to lunch and he suggested this restaurant. The waiter was incredibly attentive – filling our water glasses, asking if we needed anything, etc. A pita/hummus plate preceded the ordered meal and it was quite tasty. I had a daily special “crab cakes” with fresh cut steamed vegetables, and a garden salad. The crab cakes were packed with crab- there was little other filling - and very tasty. The veggies (squash, pepper, etc) tasted fresh (I did not ask is they were local) and good. So a very good experience and more reasonably priced than I expected.

• Visited March 2014