“Dear Lord just keep on driving.”
Review of Days Inn Newton

Days Inn Newton
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Newton
Dallas, Texas
“Dear Lord just keep on driving.”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I was travelling with a friend on business and couldn't make it any farther without some sleep. We figured a Days Inn would be a reliable place to stop and didn't really think anything off the fact that it looked a little run-down... all we wanted was clean not luxury. Apparently they had a run on the non-smoking rooms (there appeared to only be about 3 other rooms rented) so we had to take a room dedicated to smokers. Which meant EVERYTHING had burn marks all over it... the quilt, the carpet, the floor, the tables. And I really wished that what I smelled in that room was cigarette smoke. After several days of near-100 degree temps, they didn't even have the air turned on or the room aired out. It was nearly 4:00 in the morning before it even started getting cooler. The bathroom door had to be lifted up towards the hinges since it looked like someone had tried to break into it sometime prior to our visit. The bed was like sleeping on a really musty brick and I can't believe that I paid $70 for that. HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE and the manager didn't seem to care a bit. Days Inn should be absolutely horrified that this dump has their name on it.

Room Tip: If you really can't go another mile try the Thrifty Inn on the other side of the hiway.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Lower Alabama (LA)
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We were going to attend a reunion and wanted to stay in Newton, Mississippi. I found the Days Inn by looking at TripAdvisor but was a bit put off by the strong negative tones of many of the reviews. This Days Inn sounded a bit like the motel featured in the 1980 horror B movie called "Motel Hell" (which starred one of my cowboy heroes gone wrong - Rory Calhoun). However, we took a chance and booked a room anyway.

When we arrived I found the Days Inn right off the freeway (I-20), and it was an older, two story building, probably built in the early 70s or so. The check-in was easy, the front desk person was friendly, and I headed with some trepidation to my assigned room. To my relief, I found it was clean, the A/C worked well, the bed was relatively comfortable, and the toilet & bathtub worked fine. The furniture was a little old but I didn't find any unpleasant surprises such as those listed in the other reviews.

I also didn't find much of a breakfast in the morning. However, since the Days Inn is right off the freeway, there are some national fast food chains within walking distance where you can get a reasonable breakfast. We even ate one night at a nearby Japanese restaurant that offered a pretty good meal.

Here's my recommendation - if you are really tired and want to stop, then this Days Inn is okay. However, if you've got a little travel left in you - about 25 minutes - you should drive on to Meridian and stay in one the nicer, newer motels they have there. For example, I've stayed in the Hampton Inn in Meridian on several occasions. It had more features (e.g., better free breakfast) and the price is about the same.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Curb_jumpers
Hemphill, Texas
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I had stayed at this motel in May and had a great room, great receptionist, no problems. I came back through and thought I would stay there again. The service was terrible, internet was not working, The bed smelled like pee. I had a little dog with me and they had a mouse glue trap in the room that my little dog found and he had that glue trap on his face, ears, feet( he has long hair on his ears ). It was a mess. I took him down to the receptionists and they turned it around to that they didn't know how it got in the room and made me feel like it was my fault he got into it. Had no concern for my little dog. They asked me if I wanted to leave and said they cancelled out my room and wouldn't charge me.(this is late at nite) My little dog is house broke and well behaved and he doesn't bark. His manners are better then most children and most partying adults. I usually stop at Days Inn because they are pet friendly...but I won't stop at that motel again. The management who was from India was also very rude!!!!They are NOT customer friendly and they DO NOT accommodate or help their customers. Thank you.

Room Tip: I suggest checking out your room FIRST !!!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Nadia75948

Travelers are raving about these Newton hotels

Reviewed May 16, 2011

Poorly maintained room that had a strong odor of damp. Reason, when the AC ran it drained into the carpet and thus soaking our luggage. All of this for over 70$ a night. Not again.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Beelzel
Dallas, TX
Reviewed April 25, 2010

The hotel is bad, but I was not aware of what was ahead on I-20 so thought I was making a good decision on a name brand hotel. This is the type of hotel that will keep me from ever choosing Days Inn again. If the price had been lower I would have not have been as disappointed, but it was $70 with taxes for a really bad hotel room. The room was bad, the toilet had a dirty ring around the inside like it had not been used or cleaned in a really long time. Bed was really old and noise from other rooms passed through walls. Like another reviewer said, stay in Meridian.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank KWDTX
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 15, 2009

Not comfortable at all, And I'm not high mainataince, It was so nasty, not what I expected from the Days Inn name (usually trusted), check in clerk had a dirty shirt on, kids screaming in the backgound, sounded like they lived there, garbage (watermelon rinds, empty soda cartons, etc, by a a room seen on the walkway while parking to check in on Friday eve, same still there on Saturday am while checking out, didn't even consider the continental breakfast,
Did complain to the Day's Inn Corporation, suggested a surprise visit for hotels using their name, said they did routinely, didn't get a sincere response, not offered any type of comp or refund, only a "Hope you'll give as another try" . Stay in Meridian Mississippi instead, I passed lots of nice places worth the 30 minute further drive to New Orleans, We just wanted something closer to our final destination. I learned my lesson....

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Traveler
Reviewed July 13, 2008

This property is pretty much what I've come to expect from most Days Inn motels.
I will say that my room was clean and well aired out. That's not necessarily what I' ve come to expect from Days Inns. To me that means that they must have good maids.
I was quite tired when I stopped here and had decided to take the next motel I could find as all I needed was a room to sleep in for a few hours.
That worked out good for me as that's pretty much all you get here.
The room was not in bad shape overall. The easy chair was pretty worn and the pillows were very old. I did have to use 2 towels to dry off. The ice machine wasn't working, the snack machine was empty and there wasn't a drink machine there. The breakfast was minimal.
But, if like me, you really do just need a place to sleep for a few hours you could do worse than this.

• Liked — That it came up at the next exit
  • Disliked — Lack of...anything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank Ozcfied
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Days Inn Forest
#23 of 30 in Meridian
Inn the Oaks
Inn the Oaks
#1 of 1 in Decatur

Been to Days Inn Newton? Share your experiences!