“very pretty but..”

Bonne Terre Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Nesbit
Cuisines: French
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The atmosphere is beautiful, the grounds are beautiful, the buildings are beautiful. My husband and I had dinner for two one Saturday evening in August. We were the only patrons in the entire restaurant! It was awkward, and somewhat boring for that reason. Of course since you are the only table in the place, you get great service, almost too attentive, since the waitress, was probably bored. The food was good, but not spectacular. The atmosphere was lovely, our table was in a sort of sun room overlooking the forest. Sadly it was dark outside so there was not much to see. I would highly suggest this place as a romantic little getaway for a couple, to stay the night. The grounds are good for exploring, they have an outdoor pool and walking trails, etc. There was a wedding in the church on the grounds that night, but the reception was not where we were dining.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I attended a wedding there, and while the setting is beautiful, the staff went out of their way to be rude to every member of the wedding party, especially the bride. They don't allow outside alcohol, so we had to order the wine at 5 times the price (from them). That wasn't a big deal, but the fact that you had to scour the property for someone to order it from, and then they acted like you were a complete bother, and then proceeded to take over an hour to deliver it to the room, was a problem. The head woman there was nosy-asking what was in one of my bags, like it was any of her business. The night of the wedding there, at the time the wedding was over, they took away food and drinks that people still had sitting in front of them, telling them to leave. Everyone I was with was absolutely shocked at how we were being treated. It was so bad, that it felt like it must be a joke. I travel extensively with work, and this is by far the worst-run establishment I have ever been to. You couldn't pay me to go back.

1  Thank elizabethsimpson79
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Had a very quiet romantic dinner with my husband. The views of this place are awesome and the food was great!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The breakfasts are always great and never the same. A wonderful place to enjoy the morning gazing out at nature while enjoying a great meal

Reviewed September 6, 2011

I stayed at the Inn a few weeks ago and when I made reservations for the room was asked if I would like to make dinner reservations at the restaurant that they call the Cafe. Having no other plans, I decided to do so and I was so glad that I did. The food is simply amazing. I've been to a lot of restaurants all around the country and I have got to say that the food at Bonne Terre's restaurant holds its own against any other place.

The time that I went, I had the filet of beef. The moist, flavorful meat was cooked to a perfect medium rare and served over a crispy potato pancake and served with a few spears of asparagus. The first thing that came to my mind was how large the portion was. In this day and age of paying a lot of money for miniscule portions at fine dining establishments, the large portions at Bonne Terre were a refreshing change. I didn't feel ripped off or leave hungry like I have at a lot of places.

If you stop by there, make sure to try their desserts. They are simply divine! I had a dessert that was a riff on a strawberry cheesecake and cannot say enough good things about it. An ethereal cloud of a cheesecake mousse was perched upon a delicate cookie that was shaped like a swoosh-shaped cup. On top of that was spooned a fresh strawberry sauce that decorated the plate like tiny ruby jewels. It was a sight for the eyes and a feast for the mouth and something that I still think about to this day.

Service was exceptional and the views were just gorgeous. We sat in an enclosed section of the restaurant that had floor to ceiling windows that overlooked a wooded area and a small stream. As the sun set, the room just exploded with colors and created the most romantic atmosphere.