“Clean. Wireless Not In Every Room. Got Food Poisoning” 3 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn Express Moss Point
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Moss Point
GreenLeadersSilver level
Texas
“Clean. Wireless Not In Every Room. Got Food Poisoning”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Well, I can tell you the room was very clean and had enough room for four of us. However, we were in the last room in one of the wings and could not pick up the Holiday Inn wireless signal. The kids were not happy with this. The breakfast the next morning was good (as usual for a Holiday Inn), but I am sure I got food poisoning from the eggs. I was sick as a dog about 9 hours after we left (we were on our way to Florida, stopping here to cut the trip down).

So, nice room; no wireless, stay away from the eggs.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Moss Point, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear bphpsu,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Great staff, clean comfortable rooms. What more can you ask for. One of the best Holiday Inn Express I have ever stayed in.
A lot of full service hotels could learn a lot from this place.
Great service from the lady who takes care of the breakfast buffet.

• Stayed July 2013
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

I really hesitate to give this place anything but a complete thumbs up, but I think it must be stated up front that it seemed to me it was built and appointed specifically for long term residence by workers off the Gulf Coast. Travelers passing through or short term visitors seemed to be in the minority. This is not to say that the guests who were there long term were anything but very nice. I just think it is a fact that needs to be stated.

This can be an advantage. Our room had a wet bar and a very spacious counter and lots of space. The guest laundry is huge. It is the biggest we've ever seen in a hotel.

It can be a disadvantage. Their schedule might not sync with yours. An early breakfast can be busier than you think. The price may seem higher than the area warrants, but I think it can be connected to what they know they can get from whatever company with whom they contract. We've come across this phenomenon elsewhere.

But the breakfast is good. The front desk was extremely nice. The room was clean and well stocked. The beds were comfortable. There was a restaurant (Mexican) right across from the parking lot.

Room Tip: This is a busy place where residents don't have traditional hours. A room away from elevators m...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shea1114
Hawkinsville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

My work is all travel and I've stayed in many hotels over the years. This is the first one I've given a 5 star rating. The reason I gave the Holiday Inn Express Moss Point such a high rating is simple, I have absolutely no complaints. During my almost one month stay my sleep was never disturbed, the room was always cleaned properly (thanks Sarah!) and they went above and beyond for breakfast. Breakfast officially starts at 6 AM, same time I have to be on the job, but a full breakfast was always prepared before 5 AM, and the girl that usually attended the breakfast bar was on top of things. She always greeted me and made sure I had everything I needed. Their staff is the best I've encountered.

Room Tip: The hotel is off the highway so all rooms should be far enough away from road noise. Some rooms are...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank David B
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Back in December I had stayed at an HIE in North Jackson and I was about to give this location sterling reviews. After all, the side door in proximity to my room at the end if the hall actually worked! Imagine that. Not one but BOTH elevators worked. The famous HIE pancake maker worked. These features were missing on my extended stay at that location and I was thrilled to have them for my extended stay on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. But, really, those features should be assumed.

What was not to like about the HIE Moss Point.
1) First impression. The second floor hallway had an absolutely over-powering odor of what turned out to be the bath soap. Imagine Ivory soap with a hint of pine and turn that pleasant clean sent up 100 fold. It provoked head aches and nausea. Like most foul odor memories, I still gag when I think back on my first whiff. They don't want you to use cologne and perfume in the workplace these days. Surely this has got to go as well. Over the course of a few days it faded, perhaps the year's shipment of bathroom comp's just arrived.

2) No cell phone reception. This is becoming a deal breaker for me. Just a call back home to the wife to tell her to call back is billed like an overseas call to Kabul. So there is the nightly sight of phone callers and smokers prowling around the side entrances. I got four bars driving past the Motel 6 around the bend, but I had to wait for the wind to blow right to get a bar or two to text the wife and kids poolside.

3) Pruritus. I don't know if it was due to taking the nightly phone call dip in the hot tub or whether my room had bed bugs but I was soon afflicted with itchy bumps on my arms and legs. Hint - Gold Bond Lotion with Menthol relieves the Pruritus enough to get a few hours of sleep.

4) Location - hard to get out when a fleet of Trucks from the next door Pilot is headed out. It is on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and it is closer to Biloxi than, say, Bangor, but not by much.

5) Front desk service - nothing all that bad, but I didn't need much but a pen to sign in. One day I saw a blinking light on the phone indicating a missed call from the wife. The access number was not printed on the face of the phone, so I called down to ask directions. The front desk guy did not know. C'mon, man. To his credit, he called back in 5 minutes with the answer but....c'mon, man.

6) Price - I think it has the highest price "in the block" - the cluster of chains off the exit. It should not command that price with the problems I listed.

Bottom line - you would probably enjoy a stay here. But I expect more for my money these days.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Bbarre
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Moss Point, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Bbarre,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I truly apologize for the not up to par experience you had during you stay with us. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided. Our goal is to provide clean and comfortable stay to all of our valued guest and make their stay a memorable one. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about the cellphone reception will be addressed and appropriate actions will be taken. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

We like to stay at Holiday Inn Express properties in general, but this hotel was way above and beyond! We were greeted by a pleasant, friendly, and professional concierge, who gave us a 'goody bag' for being Priority Club members. He was helpful in directing us for dining establishments, and even called us after check in to make sure our room was satisfactory. The room was immaculate, nicely decorated, and gave a fresh appearance. The bed and bedding was comfortable and inviting. The breakfast was delicious, with lots of choices. The server was attentive and friendly without hovering. We felt spoiled! We were just passing through, but I wish we could have stayed longer!
Thank You , Holiday Inn Express!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Having stayed in several Holiday Inn Expresses while traveling on business, I expected a clean, efficient hotel with just the basics necessary for a quick stop. I stayed here on the way to and from a reunion and found the hotel to have all the amenities necessary for the quick stops. But the bonus is the staff - everyone was warm, welcoming and helpful. Breakfast is good - plenty to eat and fuel up for the road. Easy to reach from the interstate, only a few miles from town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family