“Beautiful 100+ year old carousel, rides only $0.50”

The Dentzel Carousel
Reviewed July 7, 2013

After lunch at Weidmann's, we made the short 2 mile drive to the carousel in Highland Park. Note that the carousel is open from 1-5 pm daily in June and July, weekends in spring and fall, and Saturdays only in winter. The hand carved carousel animals are beautiful! Rides are only 50 cents, and well worth the short drive from downtown or the interstate if you are traveling through the area.

1  Thank SCFamilyof3

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I visit Meridian very often and this past March we decided we would go to see the Carousel. We couldn't find it in the park so I asked two gentlemen sitting in the big gazebo where the carousel was and they said it was closed. Another gentleman in a car drove up beside us and asked if he could help us. We said that we had been looking for the carousel, but that it was closed. He said "follow me" Being in the neighborhood that it is we where a little concerned, but decided that we would....he took us to the building that houses the carousel and he introduced himself to us and that he was the curator.We where given the history of the carousel and then we where asked if we would like a ride. Well the Kid in us sure did want a ride. We where absolutely thrilled by this....and thank you to Brandon....we will be back when we are in Meridian this winter....sure worth the time to see....

3  Thank Bev A
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Carousel is in great condition considering it's age. Rides are only $.50 a person. The music was obviously not original, kidz bop but my daughter enjoyed the ride.

3  Thank Mom51mem
Reviewed May 21, 2013

To find out that you are sitting on an animal that is valued over $45,000... shocked! We had a tour that took us to the park where the carousel is housed, if you are a history buff, it's interesting to hear the stories and the fact that you can still ride this piece of history is incredible! Seems like it would be a great place for birthday parties, not for group functions in my opinion. The park is a bit of a challenge to find, but certainly something to see if you are visiting Meridian.

2  Thank Lisa G
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The carousel is beautiful. I agree with the other comments that it's not in the best neighborhood, but I would still go back (during daylight hours). The carousel is 50 cents a ride and there's a small concession stand with the highest price of $1.50 (for bottled water). Great way to spend a little time and very little money.

1  Thank AnonATL