“Funeral Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn Express
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in McComb
“Funeral Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights here and the room was great, service was great, breakfast was awesome, but the price was high. Employees said it was less than a year old and it was located behind a mall, right beside the interstate.
We stayed in two different rooms, one was a two queen bed and the other was a two queen bed suite. Both were great and they even had a ceiling fan in each room.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gsnpbc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Yorkshire, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

Holiday Inns are expensive and are usually worth the money. This one was not. As Priority members, our goodies bag was not ready and the girl on Reception had to ask us if we wanted it! Our first room was very smelly as if someone had been smoking in it. When we told Reception, we were given another room without argument, comment or surprise. This was slightly better, although still not very good. The room was dated and appeared several years overdue for a refurbishment. Breakfast was okay. We would not recommend this hotel - in fact, it's the worst Holiday Inn we've ever stayed in. You should be able to stay at a Holiday Inn with confidence.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear janiceandbryn,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. It is great to know your concerns were addressed by our staff during your stay. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs and expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with your room accommodation and the service you received. We take all feedback seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I would not recommend this hotel to families. My family stayed here for one night while we were in town for my grandmother's funeral. We had six rooms booked. I have four children and kept two in my room and two in a room with my parents. We checked in with no difficulties at about 4 o'clock in the afternoon and proceeded to change clothes for the visitation at 5. After we were in our rooms about 15 minutes an employee knocked on my door and said that I needed to make sure my children were not running up and down the hallways. Three of my kids were sitting on the bed watching Scooby Doo and my niece had taken my 3 year old, who had been cooped up in the car for several hours, for a walk down the hall to my parents' room (it was pouring rain outside and they couldn't go out.). As the employee spoke with me these two came down the hall toward us and she indicated this noise (that of an 11 year old and a 20-lb 3 year old coming down the hall) is what she had heard downstairs at the front desk. I said ok I'll try to keep them quiet. So we finished getting dressed for the visitation and a few minutes later I received a call from the front desk asking if I want to just move to the first floor so the noise wouldn't be a problem for the other guests. At this point all of the kids were sitting on the bed watching Scooby Doo. We were about to walk out the door for the funeral home, so I had to make a decision whether to move then or wait until we would return at 10pm and the kids would need to go to bed. My parents, sister's family, and I decided to move then rather than later. So we packed up all of our stuff and headed back to the front desk where my family, obviously tired from being on the road, late for the visitation due to the room change, grieving the loss of my grandma, and generally stressed out, are treated with very little compassion by the hotel staff. The lady who wanted us to change rooms even called her manager to complain about us while we were standing there waiting to get our new room keys. We were only in the hotel about 45 minutes to change clothes, adding another 20 minutes to repack our suitcases and change rooms, and I spent the entire rest of our stay there on pins and needles keeping my children silent as mice, scared we were going to get reprimanded. An already stressful and highly emotional trip was made even worse by the hypersensitivity of the staff on their own behalf, and the utter lack of hospitality towards us. Here's the irony--each hotel guest we met during our short stay was very complimentary of our children, including the lady across the hall from us.

Check out was a problem because after all the room-switching they had no idea who was in what room and who needed what receipt.

The professionalism and hospitality of the staff were poor at best, and insulting at worst. I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you want silence, stay on the top floor because you can hear footsteps on both of the other floor...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank cvillemom
Greensburg, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband and i stayed there for two nights in April,his flight was canceled in New York which caused us to get to the hotel a day late however they still saved the room for us,it was clean and very nice,the breakfast was very good and also the late night snack which all came with the room we will stay there again.............

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stormirosebud
Collinsville, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

When on a road trip with the family I always look for the Holiday Inn Express! I love these hotels and they always meet our family's needs. This one is pretty good. The service was excellent. Prices always reasonable. Overall hotel was very clean. Room too was clean, until we pulled out the fold out on the couch, YIKES! Don't think this was ever cleaned. Dust flew everywhere, and there was hair on the sheets. Needless to say our two youngest slept in bed with the wife and I.
Breakfast was the usual nothing to rave about, but nothing to turn your nose up at for a free meal.
Overall a pretty good experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I've stayed at several Holiday Inn Express accross the country and like the others, this one delivers. Great rooms, great service, great price. The only negative I would give is the breakfast. Instead of scrambled eggs they served cheese omelets which were horrible and they ran out of food on the last morning of my stay with about an hour left. Otherwise, great stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Findlay, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

This would not be a place I would stay at again under the present management. The room was not the cleanest and smelled like the help may have been smoking while doing very little cleaning. Front desk lady at check-in was not very friendly. Being a priority member she was the worst service I have seen. Acted like it was an issue that we were checking in on her evening shift. Breakfast was out of items every day we were there. Management needs to wake up.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Bigo1952
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Bigo1952,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. I apologize for the level of cleanliness in your room and for the unsatisfactory customer service at the front desk. We want our guest to have a pleasant and professional experience when interacting with our staff. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. Your comments are being reviewed by the hotel's management and appropriate action will be taken.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near McComb
Hampton Inn & Suites McComb
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brookhaven
Hampton Inn Brookhaven
Hampton Inn Brookhaven
#2 of 8 in Brookhaven

Been to Holiday Inn Express? Share your experiences!