“Stay far, far away!”

Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Stay far, far away!”
Reviewed December 7, 2010

The other reviewers are much too kind! We went on a recommendation because Thai is our favorite food and have never been back. It's a dirty place and the "waitress"/owner disappears frequently. We waited 20 minutes to get our drinks and there was only 2 other tables besides ours. Dishes were piled up on some tables and not cleaned during our 2+hr visit. Tie me to the bedpost and long island tea pitchers were also recommended. Not worth the $9 (average sized)! Sorry, this Meridian, MS not New York or San Francisco! Food is okay, but crazy overpriced!! Our bill was $55 for eggrolls, pad thai for 2, one beer, one tie me drink, and waters! Sorry, we now go to Takrai on N. Hills near Walmart.

1 Thank michelle s

Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Thai in Meridian and we live in Atlanta!”
Reviewed November 5, 2010

This place has been around for 20+ years in multiple locations. They have found a home north of Meridian up Hwy 45. Fun, nice people, who appreciate authentic thai.
Don't be concerned about the double wide, its a charming little spot.

They have occasional Belly Dance shows from a local dance troupe and the locals have date night here with and without the kids.

We stop in frequently when traveling on I-20.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“A Unique Restaurant in Rural Mississippi”
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I went to Faraway Places after getting a recommendation from a local. It's just about two miles Northeast of Meridian and it's pretty easy to find. It's a red doublewide trailer that's got a big front porch built on to it.

The hours are 4-10pm Tue-Fri and 5-10 on Sat.

Inside, it's pretty dark and each table has a small lamp. The waitresses were very friendly. They showed me the good beer collection. They also have some wine and liquor there, and I noticed the other customers ordering drinks.

I got the curry chicken which was pretty good. They asked how spicy I wanted it and I asked for medium. It was still pretty spicy. The eggroll was pretty good, too and had better fillings than most eggrolls I've had before.

I'd recommend it, but let you know that the average entree is $15 and it opens at 4pm.

Landstuhl, Germany
“Best Thai Food I've Ever Had!”
Reviewed October 31, 2009

Being in rural Mississippi I have to say that I had very low expectations. However, after eating at this local joint I have to say it was one of the most zany experiences I have ever had at a restaurant.

First, I should say that this place is in a double, double-wide. Yes, two double-wide trailer homes opened up on the side of a highway to make one building. We pulled up in the rain and went up the first set of stairs we saw. My husband walked face-first smack into a huge spider web covering the stairs. Halloween decorations?! No. Real spiders...and a bunch of them. We realized that we should have entered via the other wooden stairs a few feet down.

Upon entering we came across the host stand, behind which was a blond mannequin with a broken nose and an life sized American Indian chief statue. Caught a big off-guard and looking around we saw everything from beaded curtains, random lamps and candles, Indian tapestries, Coors light bikini posters (on the ceiling), and an array of other decor originating from college dorm rooms and estate sales. It is a dimly lit indie haven. The ceiling was made of ply-board and the floors were solid, expensive hard wood. There was even a fire place and some old sofas in one area. We had a hard time taking it all in...including the big boobed beer posters up in the bar area. The place was simply indescribeable.

We were promptly greeted by a Thai woman who convinced the two of us gals to get drinks called "Tie Me to a Bedpost" and the guys to get pitchers of long island ice tea. A few minutes later we were served with what we guessed to be her Thai son...only he had a flat top and a mustache. The words that came out his mouth had the thickest southern accent I have EVER heard and he said which ladies ordered the "Hook a Brotha Up" drinks?! Apparently, the drinks were pretty potent.

We got our food (vegetarian coconut veggies and some amazing shrimp angel hair dish) and ate every morsel on our plate. In fact, had it not been rude we would have licked our plates. We all agreed it was the best Thai all of us had ever eaten.

We got our bills and discovered our drinks were $9 each (that's a lot for the area!!) and that they charged us for tap water...but in any case, it was the best Thai I've ever eaten!

1 Thank MBroyhill
Meridian, MS
“Quirky little Thai restaurant in Meridian”
Reviewed November 6, 2008

The building is actually a double-wide trailer with a porch that runs the length of it - a converted former fishhouse. They feature favorites from Thailand's Bangkok region, live entertainment (the Queen City Gypsies belly dancers, for one). The walls are filled with art, statues, album covers, books and musical instruments from around the world. The place is 'artsy' and quirky, to the say the least. If they're not too busy Tim (the lady who owns the place) will come out of the kitchen to visit with her guests, discussing everything from thrift store shopping to politics.
Tim sticks to the Thai cuisinary basics, with a few personal variations she's learned from 25 years of cooking Thai-style for the Meridian area's curious and brave. She is proud of her results, and with good reason. If you want something off the beaten path and different from the anticeptic norm, this place is just maybe for you. The food is wonderful, the service personal.

Been to Faraway Places Thai Restaurant? Share your experiences!