“Not bad, but not 5 star”
Review of Strawberry Cafe

Strawberry Cafe
Ranked #5 of 74 Restaurants in Madison
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
jackson ms
“Not bad, but not 5 star”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I had dinner here with friends, partially based on the rave reviews. Friends had red wine, I had a sweet tea martini that tasted just like sweet tea (good!) Two of us had salads, and one had the crab soup. The soup was very good except for a few small pieces of shell. Lots of crab bits in it, though and good taste. The salads were also good. One friend had the mushroom and said it was good. Two of us had the crab cakes. These arrived room temperature at best and were dry. They were nice sized and had lumps of crab meat, but not much taste and really needed a sauce and maybe less cooking. There was a tiny, tiny drizzle of mango coulis but it was not enough to really change the dish. They were not rich or greasy, that's for sure. They were decent quality and looked in-house made but were really lacking flavor and texture. We ended with a piece of mascarpone filled angel food cake that had whipped cream icing and strawberries in it. This was delicious and definitely not "out of a box" - had a real home cooked flavor. The service was fine, staff was friendly, temperature was a little warm and their was an a/c blowing directly on us. So, as much as I wanted this to be stellar, I can only give it 3 stars. If I give it another try to see if we just had an off night, I will update this.

• Visited June 2014

Brandon
“Great atmosphere and food”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We really love this restaurant. Great service, atmosphere and food! We will definitely go back!
In a great location and easy to get to.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank tinakparker
“Good food”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Every time we've eaten here, the food and service has been wonderful. This is our favorite restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Dwnckn
Jackson, Mississippi
“Excellent fried seafood and fish”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This is a regular stop for us. We like the soft shell crab, the fried oyster special, the shrimp and the fish dishes with the sauce on the side because it is so rich. They usually have sweet potato fries. The soups are good but the weakest part of the menu are the salads. Caramel pie is a winner.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank sam m
Jackson, Mississippi
“Cold Food”
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

We were a group of five, and three out of five had cold entrees. Two people sent theirs back to be reheated, the other just ate cold chicken with cold rice. When I was leaving the Resturant, I discovered what the problem was......the food pick-up window is in a hallway that patrons walk by to get to their tables. The front door is not too far from this hallway, so as food sits on the ledge to be delivered to customers it gets cooled by the air coming in the front door. It also seems to be unsanitary to have food waiting on a ledge that patrons pass by......good thing I didn't sneeze or cough as I walked by. But, I did look at it and talk over it.....hope I didn't spit on anything. Prices were a bit high for cold food, and it seems like bread should be served with the meal.

Visited February 2014