“My new favorite habachi grill”
Review of Hokkaido

Hokkaido
Ranked #8 of 74 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I recently made a return trip to Hokkaido for my mother's 84th birthday. The first time I was not impressed, but gave them a pass since they had just opened. I must say they have the kinks worked out. Two things I like better than the other habachi grills in the area: 1) they offer fish - red snapper, tuna or salmon; and 2) their salads aren't swimming in watered down 'pink sauce'. Prices are reasonable, servers are friendly.

2  Thank Shaver's Choice

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Nice people. Love the shrimp tempura. this is one of our favorite places now. My wife likes the sushi there. We eat there so often, we feel like family. The fact that it is affordable to eat there males it even better

Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband and I will typically call in an order here and bring it back to the house. I am usually not a big fan of to-go sushi but for some reason, they just seem to be great. I hate to admit it, but we get the fried rice if we eat to-go. It is HUGE and my husband and myself usually share one order, along with the Foxy Lady Roll and Volcano roll. The wontons are good. They seem to be baked, as they are not greasy AT ALL! I have eaten on the hibachi side only once. It was typical hibachi, nothing to write home about. I have had several lunched and dinners on the regular table side and I have never left hungry or disappointed in the food. Oh, and be careful when ordering the sushi... it is HUGE pieces. =)

Reviewed March 14, 2012

I am rating the hibachi side of the restaurant since that is the only area I've gone to at Hokkaido.

The hibachi food is excellent and is seasoned well - not too salty. I typically order the steak hibachi cooked medium and it is served to me just the way I like it. It's juicy and tender and oh so delicious! My daughter gets the chicken and it's cooked very well also.

I have conflicting feelings for this restaurant. It was my hope to give a 5 star review with glowing praise because I didn't think there was anything terribly wrong with the restaurant until my last visit.

When going to the hibachi, be warned, in my experience they are not neat in the flinging of the rice as they cook it. This is not a huge deal to me, but it is kind of funny seeing the rice flying everywhere. At one point, I covered my water to protect it from the rice invasion. ;)

Now to the serious part. My last trip to Hokkaido still served me delicious food, but I was slightly grossed out. You see, the previous chef had not thoroughly cleaned the cooktop. I saw a small clump of fried rice left on it and had hoped the current chef would clean it up. He didn't. It went in with the rest of the rice cooking. To me, even if no one had touched that rice, it was old. And gross.

Now to a less serious problem, we were placed at a table that was already basically full. This was to expedite our food because there was no telling when someone else would arrive to fill up another table. We were glad to be seated and not left waiting because we were hungry. :) But, they forgot my steak. I had to call over the server and let them know I had been forgotten. No biggie, they got another steak, it was cooked and I was the last person served steak. It was perfect, as always.

So, in short, I love Hokkaido. But, if I see something like rice on the grill again I may have to change my mind...and I'll let you know about it.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

Went with my son for the non-hibachi dinner. The restaurant is divided into a grill side and a standard table side separated by a bar. The decor is nice and the restaurant clean. We ordered wontons and calamari to start both were well prepared but average. The rolls came next which brought my rating up. We ordered the shrimp tempura and crawfish rolls and the Volcano and Super Spider Specialty rolls. In hindsight this was more than we could eat especially considering the appetizers. They don't skimp on the quantity. The Volcano roll was excellent and the Super Spider was equally as good though quite spicy. I will definitely go again but hold back on the order. I did not try the hibachi and it was only moderately busy on that side. We did have to wait about 10 minutes for a table but the bar seating was open. As we left we noticed some tables opening up so I suspect it we just hit it at a busy time.