“Fantastic find”

The Mermaid Cafe
Ranked #15 of 74 Restaurants in Madison
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This is a seafood restaurant owned by restauranteur Nick Apostle. The Mermaid Cafe is always packed on the weekends for two reasons. One, it is the only restaurant in the immediate area, and two, more importantly, it offers excellent tasting seafood dishes.
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Quaint little place. Great menu offering, reasonably priced and excellent service.

Reviewed December 9, 2011

So, this restaurant is a little hard to find, being at Lake Caroline, but well worth the drive. Right on the water, it has a beautiful view (hard to see at night in the winter since it is dark so early). We ate there for my birthday dinner and everything was excellent. We got the Shrimp and Grits appetizer, which was INCREDIBLE! For dinner, I got the Tuna which was also great. It came with some soy/teriyaki dipping sauce that made it even better. My husband got the Filet, which was small but tasty. For desert, we got the White Chocolate Bread Pudding, which was HUGE and heaven on a plate. Please, go there and try it for yourself!

Reviewed November 19, 2011

Nick Apostle's second-tier restaurant and he always does a good job with his restaurants. This place is casual and friendly. The food is better than average, the prices are better but the wait-staff is consistently sub-par which surprises me for an Apostle business. We've eaten there about five times and it's been the same. But the atmosphere is nice and they're always a pretty good bet for a casual and fun nite.

Reviewed September 27, 2011

I'd been wanting to try The Mermaid Cafe for some time, but went with some reservation due to some very critical reviews on Urbanspoon. It turned out to be a very pleasant experience. The restaurant gives the impression of a neighborhood club. Classy casual, with emphasis on the casual. There is outside seating on the front porch.
Service was prompt and efficient, though granted, the restaurant was not busy on this Tuesday evening.
I wouldn't call the food spectacular, but it was quite good and the price was in line with what I would have expected to pay. My wife had a Caesar salad followed by the salmon with spinach and herbed butter. A nice portion and well prepared. About as good as you might expect this far from the Pacific Northwest. I had a cup of the gumbo which was excellent. Non-traditional in that it had both seafood and sausage, but very tasty. I followed that with the fried oyster platter. The first good oysters I've had this year. Excellent flavor and size and cooked perfectly. Finally, we finished with their hot brownie/chocolate chip cookie with hot fudge and ice cream. Oh, my.. ! Perfect ending.
I recommend this place. It's a bit out of the way but worth the occasional drive out to Lake Caroline.