“Should have stayed in tunica”

Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lula
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lula
Alexandria, Alabama
“Should have stayed in tunica”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Check in was supposed to be 4pm. There were no rooms ready when we arrived. Finally got one at 6. The check in staff were afraid that if they smiled their faces would break. It is very hard to earn enough comp for a buffet so we decided to eat at the snack bar. There is one snack bar in the whole place. We got in line at 815pm and did not get our food until 9 o'clock. There is nowhere to eat outside the casino for many miles. We were supposed to be at the coral reef hotel but were put at palm terrace instead. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

Nice, clean and a lot of fun! Breakfast buffet was good. The evening buffet needs work, great place to stay overall!!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Nancyclark0916
Moore, Oklahoma
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Grounds: Kept up well and quite attractive. Nice fountains at the entrance and a courtyard on the Palm Terrace side with a small footbridge and lily pond.

Front Desk: Professional and courteous. These ladies do an excellent job serving the customer.

Rooms: Was told the Coral Reef side is the newest and nicest side but alas, it was booked solid. We stayed on the Palm Terrace side. The rooms looked and smelled clean, very clean – this included a pet room that another family member stay in – she was quite surprised. The housekeeping staff is to be commended. The furniture is worn and in some cases in dire need of replacement.

Food:

Snack bar - It is clean and the food is good. Hot wings were excellent. Staff is very laid back but very courteous.

Buffet - Food was just ok. The area needs a serious overhaul. Rug and tile areas are nasty – you can feel your shoes sticking to it in the walking areas as well as under the tables. Because of the floors, I just could not get comfortable. Again, the staff is very laid back but very courteous.

Casino: There were newer slots as well as oldies but goodies. Was able to maintain play for a while. Didn’t walk away a winner but I did have fun. I preferred the atmosphere of the casino on the Palm Terrace side. The Coral Reef casino was jam packed (seemed to be favored).
Overall my 3 day stay was a little less than average because I am rather snobby when it comes to hotel stays. When I am on vacation, I expect to live at the standard I keep my home if not much better.

Would I visit Lula again to play, yes; however, NO I would not stay at this property again. If I eat, it will be in the snack bar!

Of no surprise is that Customer Service was Exceptional!

Room Tip: Was told the Coral Reef side is newly renovated.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TheBuick
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I read the reviews on the hotel but did not know the name of the city. I wish I had.
This is a birthday trip for my mom. I booked the hotel under both of our names specifying non-smoking and two beds. First my key did not work. When I went to the desk the line was so long with complaints that I decided to just go back to the room. A heard a few guess state that when the opened the door to their room it was already occupied. A worker stated that this is how it is every weekend.
My mom waited in the hallway until I got back to the room. When we entered the room it had only one bed and guess what it was a smoking room. I was so exhausted from the long ride that I could not make the long walk back down to the lobby. I laid down and waited afraid that someone might mistakenly get a key to our room. About two hours later I went to the desk to fix the key problem. Another guess who was originally in the line with me, was headed to another room because he was given the key to a room that was occupied.
I was afraid to ask for a room change in fear that I might walk into someones occupied room. I just got another key to the smoking room with one bed. It was my mom's birthday and I did not want to ruin it with a bad attitude.
We did not notice until the next day that there was urine on the bottom of the commode. Obviously the room had not been mopped. Nasty!!!!!
The food was average. If I had to pay for it, I would have complained about the price for what was offered. The only good thing I can say was the staff was very friendly in all areas; the front desk, the wait staff, and anyone we passed or questioned. Do not stay at this hotel. Go to the casino if you want to, but don't stay overnight.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BhamLinda

Travelers are raving about these Lula hotels

Tennessee
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Being a pilot we flew into Helena due to there being no rental cars that day in Tunica. We started to drive to Tunica but came across the Isle of Capri and stayed there. Had a great time. The casinos are a little smaller than most, but quite nice, slots about average (we lost), but the comps for meals and free rooms are good. The buffet is average and Farraday's has excellent food for good prices. The staff there can get overwhelmed when it is busy. The rooms are clean and nice. We did find a strange bug in the bathroom, but it is the deep south and with the heat and humidity, you can't get rid of all the bugs. Be careful of the tile areas around the casino hallways and entrances as they develop condensation and become quite slippery. My wife fell, but luckily no injuries other than some bruising and soreness. Be advised, othert than the casino, there is NOTHING in LULA. Overall, one of our favorite casinos. Not as fancy as most, be we like it and are going back in February.

Room Tip: Book early if there is a concert or headliner.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jerrobbin
USA
Reviewed January 6, 2012

A comfortable place to stay, but rude security made for a less than great experience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
chicago
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Stayed here with another couple for three nights to attend the Juke Joint Festival in Clarksdale, MS.

There is NOTHING else in the immediate area so you pretty much get stuck staying here if you can't get reservations in Clarksdale. Stayed here for three days. The food was horrid, both in the restaurant and in the buffet.

The rooms are standard hotel rooms. We had a king room, with a view overlooking a field, a fire truck with 7 7 7 slot machine numbers all over it, and a parking lot on the back side of the building. I'd rate this place as a "socks on" place due to the number of people that probably cycle in and out of here. There is nothing special about it. It was clean enough and because I had an attack of an ongoing acute illness, I unfortunately became intimately familiar with the toilet and shower.

The bathroom was clean and functional, the bed was big and semi-solid and the pillows not hard. I can't say that I enjoyed my stay because I was so sick, but I did spend literally two days in the hotel room and the staff was nice enough to leave me alone in my misery. I hated the wildly colored and patterned bedspread...but that's because i spent two solid days and nights with it.

There was supposed to have been a shuttle that ran between the Juke Joint festival in Clarksdale (abt 1/2 hr south) and the hotel on the Saturday of the festival, but for some reason, it didn't run. This was a huge disappointment because one of the reasons we chose to stay there in Lula was because we'd read that there WAS a shuttle. And because it was the only place with availability. BUT since we'd read that there was a shuttle, no prob. Alas.

Being the only place to stay for miles, tho, these guys have a monopoly on the accommodations. There really isn't any other place to stay out there other than Tunica and Helena.

Net Net: Just another place to stay with the addition of it being attached to a casino.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank ciarrasbc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lula
Hollywood Casino Tunica Hotel
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Tunica Resorts
Hampton Inn Clarksdale
Hampton Inn Clarksdale
#1 of 6 in Clarksdale

Been to Isle of Capri Casino Hotel Lula? Share your experiences!