“Holiday Inn Express Lite”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lucedale
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lucedale
Reviewed February 16, 2013

If you stay at Holiday Inn Express hotels frequently, you may find this facility on the "lite" side of providing the service that you have come to expect from the brand. Nevertheless, it is likely the best you will find in the area. The location is very convenient and accessible.

One example of the "lite" nature of the hotel is that they place just shampoo and conditioner in the room for the guest's convenience. In the Ooltewah, TN Holiday Inn Express, for example, they also provide at least mouthwash and hand lotion. If this hotel was a bargain, I wouldn't mind the reduced amenities. Since they charge similar rates to other main line HI Express locations, it comes across as just being cheap.

Some rooms have older model heating/cooling units that have a very noisy blower. If you are sensitive to that noise level, you may have trouble sleeping. (I didn't, but it was very noticeable). The next night I stayed there I got one with a newer digital control panel and the low fan setting was very pleasing.

I was in three different rooms at this facility, and each one had a bit of a smell. The first was supposed to be non-smoking, but my sensitive nose suggested that somebody had smoked in that room previously. My companion in another room also noted that there was a smell too. Not bad, but just not good. Note that I would still stay at this facility again, so the smell wasn't bad - it just wasn't as inviting as one would desire.

They started part of breakfast very early, which was appreciated by the workers that had to depart just after 5 am to start their day.

Room cleanliness was decent, especially considering what I have seen at most places in the deep south. Staff was very friendly and helpful. I found the beds very comfortable. Rooms include a ceiling fan with a on/off & speed control on the wall.

Overall, a reasonable place that I would stay at again but I wouldn't rave about it.

Room Tip: Newer digital control A/C units have a much quieter low fan setting.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lucedale, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Dear SGillinois,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind words for the staff. It is also nice to know that you found the beds comfortable. On the other hand, please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lucedale

Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here after a long days drive. Room was reasonable and clean. The people were very helpful and friendly. The room had a small frig and microwave which helped us. Breakfast was the average continental. I would stay here again.
If you order pizza from Dominos it took them well over a hour to deliver.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Tim M
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The air conditioner had mold growing in it and it stunk. The bed was like sleeping on a concrete slab. The shower didn't drain as a result I had to take a shower bath. We did not even what to attempt breakfast there.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Lhewitt001
Management873, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lucedale, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2013

I was disappointed to hear of the issues you experienced during your stay, and I appreciate you submitting your detailed review of the property. Feedback such as this is valued and will be taken into consideration, as we are always striving to maintain a high level of excellence. I would like to discuss your concerns further, please contact me at 601-947-2099.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

As hurricane Isaac loomed toward Ocean Springs, MS., the two of us and our 6 year old cat made reservations at the Lucedale, MS HIE. We arrived long before normal check-in time, but were immediately checked in to an available pet friendly/smoking room. The desk clerk was extremely efficient and friendly. The room was on the third floor across from the elevator. It was so clean and smelled so fresh that we thought they had made a mistake and given us a nonsmoking room by mistake. We called the desk and were told that there was no mistake.

We were told that there were winds of 50 to 60 mph and torrential rains of 10 to 15 inches. We heard nothing in the room and only knew that it was raining when we opened the drapes and looked out. The gas station next door had trucks at it, we never heard them. The TV(a fairly new flat screen) had all the networks and the local channels from Mobile, AL. and New Orleans LA. as well as HBO.

We went to breakfast the first morning expecting a sweet roll and coffee. Much to our surprise, we were greeted with scrambled eggs,link sausage, hot sweet rolls, hash browns, toast, coffee, fruit juices, dry cereal, milk, and all the usual condiments. The second morning, the rolls were missing and the link sausage had been replaced with sausage patties. The rolls came just as we were leaving.

After two days and nights, our checkout took a friendly 2 minutes and we were on our way back home to the coast and flooding with the memory of good people and a great hotel fresh in our minds.

Thank You HIE.

Steven A. Cote, Ocean Springs MS.

Room Tip: the higher floor was both convenient and excellent
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2012

The Good : The rooms were very clean , they had a outdoor pool , breakfast was great , staff was very friendly , air worked great , and the rooms were very large .
The Bad : Some lights flickered when you turned them on and it was by a by two gas stations .
The Ugly : Their was a small stain the shower , and the pool was a little dirty .
I would also reccomend Bumper's Drive-In which is close to the hotel for lunch or dinner .

Room Tip: Get a Two Queen Suite The Sign by the pool says the pool hours are 8am-Dusk , But the front desk sa...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Beachperson1579
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I think that the management of this property is running the property on the cheap and not to the standard I have come to expect at Holiday Inn Express.

I am happy to pay a little extra for Holiday Inn Express for the little extras and services that they provide. However, this property was like a budget hotel at Holiday Inn Express prices with few if any of those extras.

First off, as a Platinum Rewards Club member, when I check in to a Holiday Inn Express I usually receive a small ditty bag with some snacks and a bottle of water. These are great for the next day when on a long drive. At minium I received a cold bottle of water, refreshing after a long drive. None at this property. The desk clerk said that the management had cut them out.

The room I had was classified as non-smoking. However, it smelled of stale cigarette smoke and there was a obvious burn mark on the rug. Although the room was basically clean, the shower also had dirty grout where the soap dishes were. I would have changed the room, but after 9 hours of driving – I was just too tired to deal with it. The bed was comfortable and clean, but the TV would not bring in the local CBS station (So I missed a show I wanted to see).

The next morning, the breakfast was not fully out until 10 minutes after opening. The pancake machine was not working because, according to the attendant, there was no mix. There was also no fresh fruit or meat on the breakfast bar (two items that are common at the other Holiday Inn Express properties where I stayed.

I will not return to this property.

Room Tip: Check the room before you take it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lucedale, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Dear SteveBressi,

Thank you for being one of our Platinum Priority Club Member and I appreciate your willingness to share your experience. It is disappointing to know you did not enjoy your overall experience with us, and regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your stay so we have sent you a private message.

Irish V
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 27, 2012

We have extended family in Lucedale, MS and go often, so the Holiday Inn Express was such a wonderful addition as there were VERY few choices to stay. The hotel is very well maintained and staffed by folks who know the meaning of Southern hospitality. By chance, we ended up in a suite which was enormous. There was a problem with the a/c which they tried to fix, but could not. They offered another room (not a suite) which we chose not to do, so they ended up crediting back some of the points we used to book the room. Breakfast is great and generally very busy. Very impressed and will stay each time we visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Amber02

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lucedale? Share your experiences!