“Stay in a piece of history”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lorman
Rosswood Plantation
Ranked #1 of 1 Lorman B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Your breath is almost taken as you drive by the white fence and then see the house off in the distance. As you drive up the long drive towards the home, you feel like you are going back in time to the antebellum South. Mrs. Jean is a gracious lady and her son gave us a wonderful historic review of the home. The house is actually open for tours daily, but we stayed overnight in the upstairs B&B rooms. The reason it survived the Civil War is that is was used as a field hospital for both sides. You could stay there all day reading the ledgers of the former owners, etc. The 2nd floor porch is inviting to sit and swing and talk and look out over the grounds. Ms. Peggy prepared morning tea/coffee prior to breakfast and served us on that porch. She was a wonderful breakfast hostess and the food (especially their "special" omelet) was terrific. You will note that I give the sleep quality a "less than excellent" rating. One reason for that is because we were there when they were having to treat for bees. Just be sure you do not stay during "bee-treating" time! I highly recommend this home for an overnight stay in "history".

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bill K

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We had rooms 2 and 4 last Friday night. Ms. Peggy greeted us with enthusiasm and hospitality when we arrived and prepared an amazing breakfast for us the next morning! It will be one that I never forget. I felt like royalty. The Hylander's were also gracious and the house is beautiful. The view from the upstairs balcony in the morning through the mist and spanish moss was amazing!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Melissa M
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We reached the Rosswood plantation on our road trip on September 22nd at around noon. It was a lovely, sunny sunday. Great weather.
We wanted to take a tour, as stated in our tour guide and at the entrance of the plantation, but after waiting for a good 45 minutes, we knew nobody would come. Just shortly after we arrived, another pair from Virginia also came for the tour. They waited with us for about 20 minutes, even called the number they found on the plantation website, without an answer, and finally took off again.
We then walked all the way up to the mansion. It felt abandoned - there was nobody there. We knocked, but no sign of anything alive, except a swarm of wasps that were building their hive under the roof. (And I don't mean high-status Americans.)
The little lights that marked the footway were in a moderate condition, some even out of place lying on the grass.

We would've loved to take the tour. Or at least say hello to someone. We probably just didn't have any luck.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank vontaris
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I have had the pleasure of staying in many B&Bs but Rosswood was exceptional. It wasn't so much the accomodations as the people. Mr. Walt gave me a very long tour which I loved. He loaned me one of the diaries to read that night and was just so gracious! Ms. Jean was a lovely Lady and we talked for hours. Peggy is a fab cook and she went all out. I was the only guest and felt strange sitting at the huge table by myself so Ms Jean came and kept me company. The food was so good and I am not a breakfast person. I was the only guest sleeping upstairs but I had a lot of 'activity' to keep me alert. There are ghosts but what can you expect for a house so steeped in history. I found them very entertaining! The only negative I can say if the lack of places to go for dinner. I tried the Country Store which other reviewers have raved about but I must have gotten there at the wrong time. I would not go back. Very expensive for dry, cold chicken and hardtack cornbread. Be sure and look the buffet over before deciding to spend the money!

Room Tip: If you don't like remote this is not the place for you. But if you like being spoiled with coff...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Donna G
Reviewed September 15, 2013

If you want to go back in time this is the place to visit.Nothing is to much trouble for a lovely southern lady (Miss Jean) and southern gentleman (Mr Walt) and the housekeep (Miss Peggy)
What a great experience and great pleasure to meet such lovely people,and their welcome to their house is unbeleivable.
I could not recommend this experience any higher than a great big THANK YOU to our hosts they are the epotone of Southern living and great people

Room Tip: Enusrre that you visit the Store before turning into the road to the plantation for the best feed I...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank james P
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The hosts greet you like long lost friends and made us feel special guests. The house is amazing and full of history of the days of growing cotton. The house is in need of decorating and some TLC, but the welcome overcomes this. The breakfast is served on a massive table with full silver service, just like dining in a National Trust house! The food was something else - all absolutely great, fresh made scones, omelettes, fruit, eggs etc etc. we left the table full for the day.
we had to climb into the four poster beds they were so high!
an experience of country living in a bygone age......

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Rooke
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stopped at this beautiful plantation--a little out of the way--but worth it. We were greeted by Peggy and introduced to the owners Jean and Walt, who are so pleasant and knowledgeable. Plan to spend time with them. The antiques are fabulous and Jean knows about all, since they are from their worldly travels. The house is a little worn, but very comfortable, and you can spend the night very comfortable. The upstairs porch off of the bedrooms was cool and breezy, What a wonderful tour with sweet people.

Room Tip: Huge antique beds, very beautiful. Be prepared to climb up--as they are the traditional high antiqu...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cmcJaxFl

Been to Rosswood Plantation? Share your experiences!