“What a pleasant stop along the Natchez trace”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lorman
Rosswood Plantation
Ranked #1 of 1 Lorman B&B and Inns
jax fl
“What a pleasant stop along the Natchez trace”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stopped at this beautiful plantation--a little out of the way--but worth it. We were greeted by Peggy and introduced to the owners Jean and Walt, who are so pleasant and knowledgeable. Plan to spend time with them. The antiques are fabulous and Jean knows about all, since they are from their worldly travels. The house is a little worn, but very comfortable, and you can spend the night very comfortable. The upstairs porch off of the bedrooms was cool and breezy, What a wonderful tour with sweet people.

Room Tip: Huge antique beds, very beautiful. Be prepared to climb up--as they are the traditional high antiqu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cmcJaxFl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Always wanted to stay in a plantation home, and finally was able to do so. Found Rosswood Plantation on the internet while browsing Natchez, MS, and I am so glad I did. It is a beautiful antebellum plantation home with a interesting past. We arrived very late after my daughter's martial arts tournament, but Mrs. Jean said, "take your time, enjoy the ride, and we'll be here when you get here". As we drove up, there was a long driveway that led up to Rosswood, and yes, true to her word, Mrs. Jean left the porch light on, and was there to meet us with true southern hospitality. As we entered the home, I felt a sense of "home". Our room was beautiful, with a tall, antique four poster bed, furniture, and fireplace. We then went out on the 2nd floor gallery, which was furnished with wicker furniture, my favorites being the swing and rocker. As I sat in the rocker, listening to the quiet, only crickets and tree frogs, I could feel the stress ebb out of me. I very seriously thought about sleeping in the swing. But, as I crawled into the bed, I felt sleep come easily. The next morning, we were met by the voice of Mrs. Peggy, the housekeeper and cook, saying "Good Morning!" She had brought up coffee, tea, and orange juice, just as Mrs. Jean said she would. We then were met with a true southern breakfast. Mrs. Peggy had made eggs, cheese hash browns, bacon, biscuits, and peaches. I am not a big breakfast person, but I truly enjoyed this breakfast, and looked forward to tomorrow's. Mr. Walt, a retired colonel and WWII veteran, gave us the history of Rosswood and Mrs. Jean gave us a tour of the home. What a history this home has. Mr. Walt showed us copies of pages from the original diary of the homeowner. He also showed us part of the cannonball that he found buried in the yard. Mrs. Jean then told us about her antiques from all over the world. One of the most interesting parts of the home was the slave quarters downstairs. They had some of the original furniture from that time. Mrs. Jean offered to move us to room 4 that evening, which has 2 antique sleigh beds. As we left for Natchez, we got our first look at the home in the daylight. It was beautiful. Two story, stately, a touch of history that we rarely get to see today. Room 4 did not disappoint, it was just as beautiful and inviting. Again, I went straight to the gallery, and just felt relaxation come over me. The next morning's breakfast was just as delicious. Mrs. Peggy met us with our morning beverages outside our room, and told us breakfast would be ready at 9. This morning, Mrs. Peggy had made fruit,cheese omelets, lemon crepes, bacon, sausage, biscuits, and pears. More than enough to prepare us for the day ahead. As we prepared our bags, we felt a sadness about leaving Rosswood. My 12 year old daughter did not want to leave. We took pictures with Mrs. Jean and Mrs. Peggy and said our goodbyes. As we left, I told Mrs. Jean that we would definitely be back, hopefully with my parents. Mrs. Jean already was planning on which room my parents would be in! Knowing we would soon be heading back to the real world, I knew it would not be long before I would return to Rosswood.

Room Tip: They're all good! Room 4 has 2 sleigh beds, the others have 1 bed, but they will provide a roll...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sjuddot
Tomball, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came upon Rosswood on a trip to Alcorn State University. Jean and Walt, the owners were very nice and welcoming. As others have said...the biscuits were great! Miss Peggy even made a second batch for us. The balcony at night was very relaxing and we enjoyed meeting the other guests. We will stay again when in the area.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Wapakoneta, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

In April 2012, my family stayed at the Rosswood Plantation. Thank you to Mr and Mrs Hyland and Miss Peggy for the most enjoyable, relaxing stay that we have had in a long time. The environment was very friendly for my 8 year old and Miss Peggy even went out of her way to familiarize herself with his food allergies. He did not go hungry at breakfast and is probably the only northern child to love grits. From the 8:30am coffee on the balcony to ending the night listening to the owls and mockingbirds. The magic never stopped. Saying goodbye to Mr and Mrs Hyland and Miss Peggy was like saying goodbye to lifelong family friends. I think about them and their wonderful home often.

Room Tip: Take your pick, the rooms are all beautiful. We stayed in Room 1, first door on the left at the top...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

We had no idea how it would be staying at an old plantation. The owners were so gracious and delighted us with many stories about their antique furniture and the history of the house. They even have a journal about the original owner building the house and living there until shortly after the start of the Civil War. Best of all is Peggy the cook, she made us wonderful Southern breakfasts with fresh biscuits and delicious egg dishes. She is very enthusiastic and helped make our trip

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NancyPatrick
College Park, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

I was travelling from Austin, TX to Maryland. I stopped by some plantations (Oak alley, Laura, and Nottoway) before finally arriving at Rosswood. Oak Alley has the most fantastic ground view. However, the B&B was not good. They accomodate you in some small cottage in slave quarter, but who wants to experience a slave's life? I stopped by Nottoway, the place is more like a theme hotel. That's it. Nothing more. I read the reviews of Rosswood, and I decided to give it a try.
The place was really hard to find. My GPS navigated me to nowhere in the middle of jungle of Mississippi. I arrived at the plantation midnight. The owners, a very friendly couple, stayed up just to welcome me. I stayed in one of the bedroom on second floor. The canopy bed, the rolling chair, the paintings, decorations were all wonderful. It's the experience like nothing else. The restroom was cleaner than I expected. I was woken up at 8:30 am the next day and had breakfast at 9 am in the dinning room. Again, everything there was fantastic. The owners kept a huge collection of antiques. I had a long talk with the owner. He was very nice and knowledgeable. The servant was also great! If you like the movie GWTW, or want to experience the authentic Old South, Rosswood is the best place to spend one night.
PS: I forgot my iphone wire on the bed, so the owner mailed to me. Thank you.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front gate is good.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Jack1234_2
Lookout Mountain Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at this lovely property on several occasions and it has become our favourite part of our trips to Natchez. If you are looking for a sterile, business-like hotel environment (as many b and b's sadly are) this is not the place for you. If you enjoy the feeling of actually being a visitor in a gracious home, it definitely is. The plantation is located about 25 to 30 min from Natchez and is a wonderful jumping off point for trips to the surrounding area. The rooms downstairs are lovely, and the tour of the home you will get is both interesting and informative, but our favourite part of the experience is just relaxing and enjoying the feel of times past. Walk around the grounds, sit on the porch and above all enjoy what is probably the best breakfast you will ever have! Peggy (the plantation cook) is very kind, and will write her recipes out for you but trust me, you wont be able to cook curly lemon pancakes as well as she can!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DorianMilam

Been to Rosswood Plantation? Share your experiences!