“Room with a view”

Holiday Inn Express Long Beach
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Long Beach
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My husband and I needed a quiet weekend getaway. We found it in Long Beach. The hotel was very clean and staff were excellent. At check in they had placed us on the second floor. I asked for something a little higher with a view of the gulf They moved us to a beautiful room with a great view. Long Beach is still in the rebuild stage but they have some very good restaurants and a little quieter, away from the hustle and bustle of Gulfport. We rode our bikes through the neighborhoods and felt safe at all times. Very friendly folks. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2012

Reviewed March 14, 2012

We were coming back from New Orleans and wanted a relaxing night that was peaceful with good food. Long beach met all of our expectations. THe Holiday inn Express had a great hot breakfast and nice clean rooms. Since we drove up and did not have reservations, we were very lucky to get one of the last two rooms. We did not get an ocean view but the lobby had access to the view of the beach. If you are planning ahead it is worth asking for an ocean view.
The staff was friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view if available. We were given the handicap room and the bathroom was large and s...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Long Beach for a long weekend, 2/24-2/27/2012. We stay at Holiday Inn properties a lot, mostly because we are confident in the experience we will get. This one did not disappoint. Friendly staff, clean rooms, the usual breakfast that you'll find at an HIE. I think they are rolling out pancake machines now, the last two places we have stayed had them. They were pretty good even if the machine did take a while to make one pancake. If it had been crowded, you couldn't have counted on getting one. Everything else was good and hot and it's all free. The lady who refreshed the buffet was Southern nice and attentive to requests.

The rooms are the usual good sized American hotel rooms. Everything worked fine and it was clean.

The location is away from the action in Biloxi and Gulfport. That was fine by us, I could see in the summer where that would be a real advantage, more beach space to less hotel guests. If you're going to the Mississippi Gulf Coast for the casinos, you'll have to drive a bit.

We would stay here again certainly.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the beach view rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2012

On a recent trip to New Orleans, we ventured over to the Gulf area to feel an ocean breeze. We saw a Holiday Inn Express listed and hoped we would have easy beach access and a view from our room, which we did! The hotel is newly built , in the midst of old oaks. ( It probably was originally the sight of a home lost during Katrina.) There was a sense of peace and tranquility in that area, and a little sadness. So many empty ocean front lots! The sands are white, the water crystal clear and the sky is an unusual shade of blue. I will definetely return to the gulf region for a longer stay and I'll book this Holiday Inn Express - $99 a night, what a deal!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank mercolumbus
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Long Beach for business the week of February 13-17. I had passed the hotel many times on various trips to the Mississippi coast and always thought it looked like a great property. I found that to be true during my stay.

I was able to check in prior to 8AM as they had a room available. My room was on the sixth floor facing the Gulf of Mexico. From that vantage point, I had a great view of the beach, the Gulf and the pool area. The room itself was comfortable enough with all the amenities you might imagine, including a small fridge, but no microwave. The bed was comfortable, the linens and pillows clean and the comforter looked clean and bright. The TV was a good flat screen model with a pretty nice Cable TV selection. The bathroom was adequate, but as is typical with HI Express properties, the shower water flow was severely inadequate as the shower head only produced a small stream.

There was quite a nice breakfast bar downstairs each morning and the person working the bar was pleasant and efficient. The bar had hot items such as sausage and scrambled eggs and as well as the typical cold continental offerings. A nice surprise was the pancake maker which actually made pretty good made to order pancakes. The room was pleasant, with comfortable seating and clean surroundings. Each evening, cookies are also available for the guests in the breakfast area, which was a nice touch.

CHECK IN: Efficient and a pleasant experience, as was check out. Front desk personnel were personable and pleasant to deal with.

ROOM: Good, albeit on the small side. View of Gulf was great and overall amenities good. Shower head is one downside to overall good room experience.

BREAKFAST: Good selection, nice environment.

DOWNSIDE: The elevators were among the slowest I have ever seen. A trip to the sixth floor seemed like an eternity. Apparently they were getting stuck also, because I heard the staff speaking about someone being stuck in the elevator on the sixth floor. No microwaves in room; would be a nice touch for long term stayers.

Would definitely recommend it. Really there are not much choices in Long Beach, but its probably the nicest hotel around.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Gulf of Mexico! Gorgeous views!!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Ldenny818
Reviewed January 19, 2012

This is a recently built hotel, very nicely decorated and laid out. We had a large room on the end of the building with a view facing the gulf. The property is is nicely landscaped. The area was very quiet, very few tourists, and the beaches seemed empty.

The staff were friendly and efficient. We were given a goodie bag because I am a member of their loyalty club.

We found a nice restaraunt nearby called the Harborview Cafe. A good mix of seafood and Cajun on the menu, and absolutely decadent desserts.

The negative points are the same for all HIE hotels: the rooms are not brightly lit, the low-flow shower heads always annoy me, and while the sheets are clean, they are always rough- feeling to me.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fisheswithbears
Reviewed January 15, 2012

I stayed three nights for business and picked the Holiday Inn Express as it's close to Gulfport (about five minutes by car), on the beach so good for a walk, and cost effective with breakfast and parking included in the rate.

The staff were nice but I guess you get the service you pay for - my luggage went astray on my flght to Gulfport and when it was delivered to the hotel nobody bothered to call up to my room to let me know.

The hotel is new but built to spec, so the rooms are neither well sound proofed or light proofed. But they are large enough and mine at least had a bath. The TV is a large flat panel and the desk spacious enough to work at.

My iPad would not stay connected to the hotel WiFi and while the third party help desk guy was pleasant enough, he could not determine the problem, finally suggesting that he'd need to reboot the complete system across the whole hotel which he was reluctant to do. Conincidentally, we suffered a power outage that evening for a couple of hours, but that unplanned reboot of the WiFi system did not fix my iPad problem and the lack of consistent Internet was annoying.

But there is a "business centre" - two very, very slow PCs and a basic black and white printer. It was fine for browsing (well, not "fine" exactly they really were slow) but not for much else as they lacked the Microsoft Office apps.

Breakfast was good. Yoghurt, cereals, bread for toast and fruit were on offer. I ignored the muffins and other sugary treats (seriously, what's that about for breakfast) but sadly, many did not. My only little quibble was that they closed up shop at 9:30am which is not that holiday friendly.

Probsbly the only downside is that the whole area is still recovering from Katrina so there is precious little around. I wandered up to Steve's Marina for dinner, which was pleasant both for the food and the walk. But apart from that, the hundreds of empty housing blocks are vey sad.

You'll need a car, as public transport seemed non-existant, but traffic while I was there was equally non-existant.

So, a good, basic hotel in a reasonable location at a good price.

Room Tip: The hooting of the train in the middle of the night is loud in the north-facing rooms
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Hollywood Casino & Hotel Gulf Coast
Silver Slipper Casino Hotel
Silver Slipper Casino Hotel
#3 of 4 in Bay Saint Louis

Been to Holiday Inn Express Long Beach? Share your experiences!