“Pricey small portions, good atmosphere”
Review of Darwell's Cafe

Darwell's Cafe
Ranked #1 of 55 Restaurants in Long Beach
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Description: Come in for some Great Food and Music. Remember BYOB on all Adult Beverages.
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Most locals and visitors I know love Darwell's but I have never understood why. My most recent visit confirmed my decision to avoid if possible. The food was okay but the prices terribly inflated for this area and the portions small. The overcooked hamburgers my friends ordered were just a tad larger than a Krystal burger and bland. Given the size of the patty, the large bun made it look like a joke and difficult to eat. I think it is a comment on the quality of the rest of the menu that I can't even remember what I ate there. It was not horrible but forgettable. A few dishes are good but most mediocre.

The atmosphere is fun. Great beachy- artsy decor. Generally nice and memorable staff. Very good bands and relaxed family environment. As my pa-in-law said about crab apples, good if you like 'em.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is a great little hole in the wall, local favorite run by a Gulf Coast native and his dad. Chef Darwell and Papa D serve up their own variation of traditional dishes as well as a few personally developed recipes. The yum yum sauce is a must try. Don't be put off by the size of the side portions. Most of them are so rich that you couldn't eat much more than they serve anyway. Whenever I visit the coast, I always work in a Darwell's trip. you get great food, good atmosphere, pleasant service and most nights live music to boot.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

You have to stop in this place! This is the best food we have had! We were stopping in from Houston on our way to Biloxi. My boyfriend said the crawfish etouffee was the best he has ever had! I had to prime rib sandwich; it was out of this world! Darwell himself gave us a bunch of samples and came and talked to us at our table for about 30 minutes. They also have outdoor seating with live bands and byob. I wish we lived out here because we would be regulars. Also you gotta try the beans topped with pulled pork! Wow is all I can say!!! Also the customer service was very very friendly. Everybody was so nice! I can see why Guy put this place in the best of the best of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives! You definitely have to stop here if you are in the area!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Me and my boyfriend were on our way to Biloxi. We watch Diners, Drive-in's and Dives all the time. We wanted to see if Guy had visited any restaurants in Mississippi. This is how we found Darwells. We stopped there for lunch on a Monday. First I'd like to say, we were greeted by the nicest employees, including Darwell himself!! He is the nicest guy ! There is so much to say about this experience; this is why we stopped in again when we were heading back to Houston. He explained the whole menu basically and gave us numerous samples. I ordered the prime rib sandwich. It was the best I have ever had. My boyfriend ordered his famous crawfish etouffee. He said it was the first time he didn't have to add pepper, salt, or hot sauce. He said it was the best he has ever had! Also the beans were out of this world. They were topped with pulled pork! This is the coolest place. If I lived out this way, I'd be in there weekly. Also, the outdoor area is really cool with a bunch of tables, live music, and BYOB. Anybody that is in this area has to visit this place!!! I have told everyone I know about it. Thanks to Darwell! What a class act he is!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

On a trip to visit my sister she took me to Darwell's in Long Beach, MS. I loved this quirky restaurant! I had a Blackened Mahi sandwich along with Jack D's baked beans and their soup special, sweet corn and crab bisque. All of it was wonderful!

Been to Darwell's Cafe? Share your experiences!