“Review”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Laurel
Alexander City, Alabama
“Review”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I reserved a suite and was very pleased with my accommodations. The room was very clean and I really enjoyed my stay. The complimentary continental breakfast is a bonus and worth the stay. I will stay there again on my next trip.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

I love southern hospitality. The staff is friendly and efficient. The room is average. But what the rooms lack is made up by the bubbly and courteous staff. We enjoyed our stay and will probably stay here again when we return to Mississippi.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Albertville, Alabama
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I called en route to the hotel and spoke to the lady at the front desk asking what time we could check-in because we had arrived earlier than expected in town. It was about 10am. She said we could check in at 12pm. We had lunch,did some shopping and arrived at the hotel at 11:50am. I walked into a musty smelling lobby to a girl with blue & green hair, a hook of some sort through her nose and some other facial piercings. Another woman was standing off to the side of the counter in a tank top, her bra showing under her arms, her hair disheveled writing on what appeared to be a schedule or clip board. The young girl looked to her for some sort of affirmation when speaking so I would assume she was some sort of management. I explained to the girl that we had spoken on the phone and that we were there to check-in. She looked to the other lady and said our check-in time is 2pm. We can't check you in until 2. I said, but you told me 12 on the phone and she said well, no, our check-in time is 2pm. You will have to pay for another night to check-in now. These women were just "nasty". In appearance, in attitude, in professionalism. Now, keep in mind the parking lot was fairly empty. I am sure the hotel was not booked up so that this request of an early check-in could not be made. I asked could I just go ahead and cancel the reservation and we would go find somewhere else to stay and she said, No, you have already been charged for this room. So, you already have my money, but I can't check-in to my room, that I have already paid for????? I know this is not the standard practice of allowing an early check-in as I travel for business all the time, but I also know that there can be exceptions made... these women didn't want to help, didn't act as though they even cared about their job and certainly didn't care about their appearance to the public.

We went across the street to the parking lot to the Holiday Inn Express. The lady at the front desk greeted me when I walked in the door, was very clean and professional and actually seemed happy to be doing her job. She looked in her computer and was happy to make the accommodations for us to go ahead and check-in right away. She even had a young girl come from the back to watch how to maneuver a reservation around in the computer to accommodate an early check-in. I explained to her what had happened at Comfort Suites and that I needed to cancel the reservations I had with them. Knowing I had a room at the Holiday Inn and we could go ahead and check-in to at 12pm, I called the 1-800 number online for Comfort Suites and was told I could not cancel the reservation because I had secured a discounted rate by booking ahead. No one I spoke to, not even the supervisor, would cancel the room for us. Our choice at this Choice Hotel was to wait until 2pm to check in when we had been told we could check in at 12pm OR to lose the amount of our room altogether and incur another expense to change hotels. With no reasonable option, we decided to go on to our families house and have Christmas and come back later in the day to check-in.

Later in the evening we came back and was greeted at the front desk by a man named Tony. Tony was very friendly, professional in manner and service. Except for the mold and mildew around the tub in the bathroom/shower, the stained and crumbling corner of the ceiling in the bathroom, the room(106) was fine. We slept well and breakfast was great the next morning. The breakfast attendant was very sweet and friendly and I enjoyed talking with her. And, I will add she had a facial piercing that was very becoming of her. She didn't look nasty like the other women and she looked very professional and actually seemed to be happy with her job.

Would I ever stay at this hotel again? NO. Would I ever recommend this hotel,? NO. Why? After having a decent room and a better experience when I actually checked in? Because I wouldn't want any one I know or care about arriving to check-in and thinking I referred this hotel and what (the nasty girls) was working at the front desk, when we arrived, is acceptable. It is not and one would think if this is your standard of service, what is your standard of cleanliness? The only choice we had out of this, was a monetary loss and during the holidays, that is not feasible to anyone's budget.

Room Tip: Choose the Holiday Inn Express across the parking lot.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank MissyPrince

Travelers are raving about these Laurel hotels

Hunlock Creek, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was nice enough, although a little overpriced for the area and hotel itself. The staff was amazing and so friendly, always with a smile, friendly greeting, and curious to know how you were doing (love the Southern hospitality). The breakfast was great and there was plenty of room for the 6 of us that traveled together! The hotel itself needs a little updating and TLC but all-in-all, was a pretty good place that was close to everything.

Stayed September 2013
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The hotel appears sketchy when you pull up. While I was getting my luggage I saw a couple of cars pull up then pull away. If I hadn't already paid for my room online I may of gone elsewhere. On a Friday night there were only a handful of cars in the lot. My kids thought it looked like a hotel in a horror film just because we only saw one other guest. Our room looked clean. The bath is a different story. It looked fine until I turned on the hot water to wash my hands. There was a gush of green/brown water. After running for a few minutes it cleared up so it was slightly off color.I have a feeling it had been a long while since our room had been used. Needless to say there were no baths taken while we were there. The place looks like it is trying to get back on its feet. Customer service was decent, not overly welcoming, but not rude. I won't be stating here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Leighof3
Douglas, GA
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I'm staying here for the first time tonight and I'll be honest I was a little scared when I pulled up to the property as outside is not well kept and the main entrance small entry door is not very welcoming. However as you get into the hotel it started to look better. As a veteran traveler I've stayed at more than my fair share of hotels and have brands that I like and Comfort Suites is usually one of those brands. However this hotel is older, outdated in some regards and a bit overpriced for what you get. I'd say this hotel is about $15 to $20 too high in price for what you get. It is more in line with a Comfort Inn or Sleep Inn than the newer Comfort Suites. Hotel choices are limited in Laurel, and this hotel is not horrible, just not what you expect for a Comfort Suites. The last time I stayed in Laurel was about 6 years ago and then I stayed in the old Hampton Inn, which is now the Best Western Laurel Inn and that hotel was better for sure and will likely go back to that hotel from this point forward since the price range is about the same. The fitness center seemed fine and even has a sauna in it if you like saunas. The hotel does have a weird layout as it has somewhat of a triangle shape to it and makes it unique in that respect. Overall I'd say it is an average hotel that is a little overpriced and can definitely use a nice facelift outside of the property. If this review helped I'd appreciate a helpful vote. Thanks!

Room Tip: This hotel does not have an elevator, so if stairs are an issue you need to know this.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank wofiii
LorrieS468, Front Office Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, July 26, 2013

Beau Blackledge
Front Desk Manager
Comfort Suites, Laurel MS
601-649-2620
Crystal Springs, Mississippi
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Good location right next to I-59 and 16th St., which appears to be the main strip for Laurel; and not far from downtown either. Also, 12 minute drive from Ellisville and Howard Industries area.

This hotel is 2 stories with no elevator - not a real problem but be aware. The layout is like a very irregular polygon. It does circle around back to the lobby but if your room is at the far end there are no short cuts so it could be a long walk.

free breakfast which is good. free internet

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
LorrieS468, General Manager at Comfort Suites, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.
We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit through Laurel.
Lorrie Sumrall
GM-MS109
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laurel
Hampton Inn & Suites Laurel
#4 of 11 in Laurel
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#5 of 11 in Laurel

Been to Comfort Suites? Share your experiences!