“It's an okay place, but careful with bed bugs.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Laurel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Laurel
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I've stayed here PLENTY of times and only once did I have a problem with bed bugs - but once is enough. Aside from that, the staff is generally friendly and helpful (except for Jennifer who has not once been anything close to friendly to me - ever). The hotel manager is a really nice and warm person though. It's not a bad place to stay, and although it's not the cleanest hotel in the world, it's not awfully dirty either. It's a little run down, but nothing horrible. I would have continued to stay here for work had I not encountered the bed bugs. I had them in room 310 and in 212 after I switched rooms. I will say that they were very apologetic and the manager called me to notify me that he would take care of the problem. I hope he does. I took pictures of them in case the front desk wanted to see them but they didn't. They also didn't charge me for the room after I checked out around 10 PM. Overall, in the couple of dozen times I stayed there altogether, I had a positive experience except for the very last one. It's a shame. I don't think I will be returning any time soon. I rated "Terrible" for Value, Cleanliness and Rooms just because of the bed bugs.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear gdouai1,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. Your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Heavy deodorizer from the moment we walked into the elevator, masking musty odors. Hallway carpets had bleach stains. Once we walked into the room the smell was worse. Found a live cockroach in bathroom, dead ones in tub which by the way looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a good while. Wife & daughter refused to shower there. Went to nearby gas station to buy bleach to clean it ourselves but found nothing. Tried to watch TV but video was fuzzy or had no sound. One channel had OK video but the sound was on a different channel. Would have checked out immediately had I not driven 12 hrs and arrived so late. Will never stay here again! Don't be fooled by the exterior appearance or the name. Stay away!

• Stayed: January 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear BojanglesG,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We are so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret the room you received did not live up to your expectations. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly.

Joel B

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I enjoyed my time at this hotel. It was convenient driving to Baltimore and 6 miles from the DC Metro stop at Greenbelt. I was also able to do my work at Fort Meade. The suite was spacious, clean, and the bed comfortable. The breakfast was a good morning starter which included all the standards one would expect. The front desk and housekeeping went above and beyond the call for whatever I asked.
There are lots of high end chain restaurants nearby. I do recommend having a rental car for this location to work. The Baltimore airport is 30-40 minutes away, depending on traffic/time of day.

Some items that would have made this excellent included quicker arrival of hot water - on a cold morning, room 220 took 5 minutes for the water to warm up. On other mornings the hot water was there immediately. The jacuzzi was hardly warm and sprayed water out of the pool, so much so that a hose was always in the pool to partially refill after each use. There must be some missing nozzles/jets.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Booked here on recommendation of a colleague - should have looked at the review which I normally would do but he was convincing. Front desk staff were accomodating, breakfast was comparable to this level of hotel, convenient to the highway, shopping and restaurants, but that is where it ends. Carpets in the halls were very stained, woodwork chipped and scratched, some room numbers were falling off, room air unit had to be turned down very low to keep room at a comfortable temp since it would keep cutting off. Mold starting to show around tub. TV was set on sleep mode to cut off every 90 minutes (have started to see this at some properties and it is really annoying - one honest employee at another hotel told me the manager did that to save energy!) Sent laundry out and it came back without being pressed - they said I didn't put that on the ticket. Are you kidding me? If I send something out with a note "shirts - no starch - on hangers" I always get them back pressed - not here - be aware. They are refunding my money however. One Business center computer worked sporadically. Will not stay here again and will not recommend it!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear UTCFan,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. I am very sorry you were not satisfied with your recent stay at our hotel and offer my sincere apologies for the unusual conditions you experienced, which are certainly not up to our usual standards. Rest assured this will be looked into. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving our hotel.

Connie D

Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed in June a couple of days after the carpet was "cleaned". From the moment we entered the hotel, we could smell a moldy odor. It got much worse in our room. We turned the air way down to combat the smell. I even had to get up in the middle of the night just to get fresh air. I let the manager know all of this - he apologized.
We suspect this hotel has a mold problem due to leaking when it rains. This hotel is not up to par - I never want to stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are staying here - make sure you ask to check your room first! - or just don't stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Dear Happyhiker2000,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am sorry you were unable to enjoy your stay because of the smell. We are very proud of our high cleanliness level here and this will most certainly be looked into. We appreciate your comments as they let us know where we need to improve.

Katie J

Reviewed March 29, 2012

The hotel is located on a side street in walking distance to DownTown Laurel. We stayed here for three nights whilst visiting friends in the area. The grounds are quite large and there is free parking for guests surrounding the building. There are restaurants and shops a short walk or drive away.

The reception area is compact and our welcome from the staff was friendly and efficient. Interior public areas are non-smoking. Both smoking and non-smoking rooms are available, and there are larger “suites” (at a nominal extra cost). There is a health and fitness centre, indoor pool, and complimentary WiFi throughout.

Rooms are very spacious, clean, and appeared fairly new and modern, although the carpet in the corridors appeared a little soiled. The bed, in particular, was excellent. Standard equipment including TV, coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, iron, hairdryer etc., were all present and correct. Being set a little way away from major traffic flows and so on, we experienced no disturbance from outside noise, and the hotel was fairly quiet whilst we were there so we noted little or no disturbance from other guests. The hotel and rooms are air-conditioned throughout.

There is no restaurant, but there is a breakfast room where, as standard for the “Express” segment of the Holiday Inn chain, a complimentary breakfast buffet is offered. This was of reasonable standard with a functional range of both hot and cold foods, drinks, dairy products, fruit and bakery goods.

In summary, then, if you have cause to be in this area, this hotel represents a good choice and beds, in particular, are very comfortable. If your reason for being here is in DownTown Laurel, it’s ideally located.

Room Tip: A few extra $ buys an even more spacious "suite" room with additional furnishings and parl...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SCAN60
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Bad Management. Lets start from the top, the Manager Patish is extremely rude, and I hope you read this by the way and use for improvements. Front Desk agent wore the same white t-shirt and black jogging pants the whole time throughout our stay which was three nights. We even saw her at Wal-Mart one of the nights she was off work and guess what, still wearing the same thing. Mixed up our reservation so we had to switch to a room that ended up having a broken air conditioner which ended up making us having to switch to another room. Maintenance man was courteous. Housekeepers extremely rude. We tried the breakfast on the last day which the Front Desk agent was trying to run the front desk and the breakfast at the same time. That was also a mistake. They had picked over biscuits and sausage, but no sausage gravy. One carton of milk left. We had to wait 10 minutes for a cream cheese packet. The juice that was offered was water downed. The hotel feels old and dirty. The exercise room had two pieces of equipment and extremely hot. Their rate of 109.00+tax is extremely over priced. Overall one of the worst stays in a Hotel ever!

Room Tip: Don't plan on booking a reservation here!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Marcus M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laurel
Hampton Inn & Suites Laurel
#4 of 11 in Laurel
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#5 of 11 in Laurel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Laurel? Share your experiences!