“The room smelled like mold”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Laurel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Laurel
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed in June a couple of days after the carpet was "cleaned". From the moment we entered the hotel, we could smell a moldy odor. It got much worse in our room. We turned the air way down to combat the smell. I even had to get up in the middle of the night just to get fresh air. I let the manager know all of this - he apologized.
We suspect this hotel has a mold problem due to leaking when it rains. This hotel is not up to par - I never want to stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are staying here - make sure you ask to check your room first! - or just don't stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Laurel, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Dear Happyhiker2000,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am sorry you were unable to enjoy your stay because of the smell. We are very proud of our high cleanliness level here and this will most certainly be looked into. We appreciate your comments as they let us know where we need to improve.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Laurel

Reviewed March 29, 2012

The hotel is located on a side street in walking distance to DownTown Laurel. We stayed here for three nights whilst visiting friends in the area. The grounds are quite large and there is free parking for guests surrounding the building. There are restaurants and shops a short walk or drive away.

The reception area is compact and our welcome from the staff was friendly and efficient. Interior public areas are non-smoking. Both smoking and non-smoking rooms are available, and there are larger “suites” (at a nominal extra cost). There is a health and fitness centre, indoor pool, and complimentary WiFi throughout.

Rooms are very spacious, clean, and appeared fairly new and modern, although the carpet in the corridors appeared a little soiled. The bed, in particular, was excellent. Standard equipment including TV, coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, iron, hairdryer etc., were all present and correct. Being set a little way away from major traffic flows and so on, we experienced no disturbance from outside noise, and the hotel was fairly quiet whilst we were there so we noted little or no disturbance from other guests. The hotel and rooms are air-conditioned throughout.

There is no restaurant, but there is a breakfast room where, as standard for the “Express” segment of the Holiday Inn chain, a complimentary breakfast buffet is offered. This was of reasonable standard with a functional range of both hot and cold foods, drinks, dairy products, fruit and bakery goods.

In summary, then, if you have cause to be in this area, this hotel represents a good choice and beds, in particular, are very comfortable. If your reason for being here is in DownTown Laurel, it’s ideally located.

Room Tip: A few extra $ buys an even more spacious "suite" room with additional furnishings and parl...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SCAN60
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Bad Management. Lets start from the top, the Manager Patish is extremely rude, and I hope you read this by the way and use for improvements. Front Desk agent wore the same white t-shirt and black jogging pants the whole time throughout our stay which was three nights. We even saw her at Wal-Mart one of the nights she was off work and guess what, still wearing the same thing. Mixed up our reservation so we had to switch to a room that ended up having a broken air conditioner which ended up making us having to switch to another room. Maintenance man was courteous. Housekeepers extremely rude. We tried the breakfast on the last day which the Front Desk agent was trying to run the front desk and the breakfast at the same time. That was also a mistake. They had picked over biscuits and sausage, but no sausage gravy. One carton of milk left. We had to wait 10 minutes for a cream cheese packet. The juice that was offered was water downed. The hotel feels old and dirty. The exercise room had two pieces of equipment and extremely hot. Their rate of 109.00+tax is extremely over priced. Overall one of the worst stays in a Hotel ever!

Room Tip: Don't plan on booking a reservation here!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Marcus M
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Conveniently located just off the highway. I was pleasantly greeted when I arrived. Room was clean and shower was fine. Also convenient to dining. A Buffalo Wild Wings is right behind the hotel. A block away you can go to a Waffle House or a Shoney's. The breakfast was standard Holiday Inn Express so head for the cinnamon rolls. The fitness room can use an upgrade; only a couple of machines.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank djpick
Reviewed July 16, 2011

I reserved a balcony room overlooking historic Laurel. Only one room had a balcony and it overlooked a restaurant. NO rooms overlooked downtown, too far away. No sports court, the fitness room has two old pieces of equipment and was probably just short of a 100 degrees. Refrigerator did not work and had a cinnamon roll left from the previous guest. The room was always damp and the entrance to the hotel leaked. I try to stay at Holiday Inns for points but will stay at the Hampton next time Laurel.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed May 12, 2010

I booked this hotel on the recommendation of a business acquaintance. The first impression was a poorly maintained entrance. When we got to our room, the bathroom floor was dirty and slimy feeling. Luckily we had slippers. If it hadn't been so late we would have left.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2009

I travel to Laurel a few times a year to visit family. This weekend (4th of July) was our family reunion and so the family elected to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites. When I made my reservations, I was shocked to find rooms in this small town at $129 per night. The suites are not suites at all. Two beds, a sofa, and a mini kitchen. Upon arrival we found out this small hotel had booked three...yes three family reunions. When I woke up after my first night, I noticed ants!!!! I called the front desk and was informed that I had to wait until the manager arrived. I questioned this explaining that we had ants all over the place. The lady at the front desk said she was sorry but the manager was the only one who could handle the ant problem. When I asked when the manager would be in, she stated that she didn't know. Vienna sausages were in the water fountain, and our conference room was very small. This hotel has only been opened for a little over a year and I must admit I expected more. We usually stay at the Hampton Inn across the street, which is much cheaper, but my family thought this hotel would be nicer since it was much newer. They were wrong! Did I mention that the walls were paper thin. We could hear our neighbors having conversations all night long. The next time we travel to Laurel, MS we will be staying at the Hampton Inn, where the staff is nicer, more efficient, and the rooms are cleaner!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank auburn74
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laurel
Hampton Inn & Suites Laurel
#4 of 11 in Laurel
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#5 of 11 in Laurel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Laurel? Share your experiences!