“Absolutely charming house and hosts”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Laurel
Wisteria Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Laurel B&B and Inns
Nottinghamshire
“Absolutely charming house and hosts”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We were spending a few days driving from Florida to Memphis before returning to England and can't believe how lucky we were to stay over at Earl and Peggy's lovely house. From the moment we arrived until leaving the next morning we felt welcomed and extremely comfortable. What a fabulous room we were given with a gigantic bed you had to force yourself to get out of - just as well because the breakfast was waiting and not to be missed. Chatting to our hosts over the coffee made it so much more inviting and interesting. The house and furnishings are fascinating, thanks again and don't forget - they don't shake hands, they give you a big hug in the South..

Room Tip: Only saw one room and what a room it was - on the ground floor next to the breakfast room. Ask for t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AAGrille

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Wisteria during the first week of a three week road trip around the south. Laurel was chosen as a destination because my grandmother grew up there and I didn't know anything about the town and wanted to do a little investigating. I had no idea what to expect from the town or the lodging. Laurel itself is charming and interesting and, has been noted by other reviewers, has an interesting and complex history in its own right. The Wisteria--Earl and Peggy to be specific--will always have a special place in my heart. They are truly wonderful hosts, extremely proud of their historical home, and genuinely concerned with the comfort of their guests. It turned out that Earl grew up in Laurel and so he was able to provide extra insight into my questions about the town in decades past and he seemed happy to do so. Both Earl and Peggy were gracious, delightful, and engaging. The breakfasts were truly southern--delicious and abundant. The Lauren Rogers Museum is right across the street, which is quite an impressive museum for a town of Laurel's size. I can't say enough good about the Wisteria. I look forward to going back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Courtney F
Texas
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My lady and I were en route from Texas to Canada for Christmas, along with Mrs Jones - our Chesapeake Bay Retriever. We wanted to take our time and do some sightseeing along the way. Of course with a dog this can be difficult - just don't tell Mrs Jones she is a dog though. I was planning the route and saw the Wisteria on TA as a pet friendly B&B in a quaint town. And that was bang on. Ms Peggy was a little hesitant at first as they usually only take smaller dogs but, with all of her natural Georgia graciousness she allowed us to reserve. We are very glad she did. We had a very comfortable ground floor room in their beautiful house. The breakfasts both mornings were excellent. Both Ms Peggy and Mr Earl were wonderful hosts, full of details about the house and the history of the area. We have both been running so hard it was nice to relax for a day in a beautiful spot. Even Mrs Jones enjoyed herself in the local parks. We were so relaxed the day we spent there that Mr Earl declared to me " you all are moving so slow you ain't worth killin' today"! I laughed so hard at that. In summary, a beautiful spot, wonderful hosts and a very relaxing stay. If you are heading east from Houston area it's a one day drive and take the back roads - if for nothing else than the great assortment of small town names - including the unforgettable Hot Coffee Mississippi - ask Earl, he'll explain!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roger61Texas
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I travelled to Laurel for a wedding that was held at the Lauren Rogers Greenhouse. We decided to stay at the Wisteria Bed and Breakfast instead of the Hampton Inn, which was the suggested hotel for the wedding guests, and weren't disappointed in the least. First, Wisteria is located right across the street from the Lauren Rogers Greenhouse. That was very convenient when it came time to head over for the rehearsal and the actual wedding. Secondly, having been our first experience staying at a B & B, Earl and Peggy made our stay comfortable and very enjoyable. We were made to feel at home and the breakfast was fabulous. Finally, the room came with free Wi-Fi and cable. In addition, the bathroom had the most beautiful claw foot tub!

Our stay at the Wisteria B & B was an experience of Southern hospitality at its best!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mparker32655
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Laurel Mississippi is a beautiful town with an intriguing and complicated history, a must-visit for anyone heading down I-59 or making a pilgrimage to the Deep South. During the 1960’s Laurel became one of the main stages of the civil rights and anti-civil rights dramas, home to many courageous champions of racial justice in the South as well as to the White Knights of Ku Klux Klan of Mississippi, the most violent of all racist and anti-Semitic organizations during the movement years. Moderate whites in Laurel eventually supported school segregation while so many southern towns saw whites retreat to private academies. All this to say: Laurel is not only a good place to stop on the way to New Orleans, but well worth visiting and studying on its own merits. (Okay, it’s also the hometown of Blanche Dubois, Leontyne Price, and Parker Posey—a perfect trinity for sure.) Still, all this color and energy is not the best reason to spend a day or a few hours walking along the eerily quiet oak-canopied boulevards or researching local history. The Wisteria Bed and Breakfast is a veritable national treasure. I could be happy disappearing in any of its three lush guest rooms for days with a stack of novels and occasional forays down to the Earl and Peggy’s abundant table. How many ways I could praise this elegant and inviting Bed and Breakfast--no doubt my new favorite in America—and its engaging and gracious hosts.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Binxontheloose
Katy, Texas
Reviewed July 17, 2012

The Wisteria B & B was the first stop on a road trip my husband and I recently went on. The home and the grounds are lovely. We stayed in the room on the first floor and found it to be very inviting. The bed was very comfortable! Breakfast was delicious--we got to taste peaches from Lane's Orchard in Georgia and they were so good that we decided to make a detour to visit their packing facilities. Peggy and Earl were wonderful hosts. All in all, we loved our stay at the Wisteria B & B!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nr Oxford, England
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We stayed here one night as part of our road trip. From the moment we arrived, hot and sticky, we were made welcome by Earl and Peggy to their gracious house. There they were sitting with their guests/friends on the verandah at the back of the house. Earl showed us to our room upstairs. There are 3 rooms, and ours was (I believe) the smallest but was still perfectly fine. We did have to cross the landing for our bathroom, but it was for our sole use. (I did think I saw someone coming out the next morning - but no matter) The appointments in the bathroom were not modern, but ticked my desire for the unusual very well and still gave out a lovely hot shower. Earl had details of local restaurants and recommended a local one (The Loft) within 10 minutes walking distance which was excellent. This gave us the opportunity to look at the wonderful historical houses all along the road. The house (which was painted in a lavender/wisteria colour) was stuffed with ornaments, decorations and interesting collections, with beautiful glass panelling by the front door.
Next morning all the guests congregated for breakfast around a big table. The food, biscuits, grits, fruit, eggs, buns phew! Earl and Peggy were charming, as were the other guests, all in town for a school reunion, and wishing we had not booked the 3rd room!
I just do need to mention that I left a jacket there and when I discovered this, I contacted Earl and asked him to send it to my friends in Florida. He contacted my friends to make sure all was okay and there the jacket was waiting when we arrived. This was above and beyond expectations and I would highly recommend this B & B if you are passing through Laurel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smilerviv
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laurel
Hampton Inn & Suites Laurel
#1 of 3 in Hattiesburg
Super 8 Laurel
Super 8 Laurel
#4 of 11 in Laurel

Been to Wisteria Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!