“It's just fine...”

Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Jackson
Fairfax, VA
“It's just fine...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

After reading reviews on here, I have to admit I was a little concerned. I'd stayed here once years ago and now was set to go back for three nights in September.

Check-in was smooth and as I went to my room, I noted that the interior decor is looking dated, but not unclean. In my room, same story, very clean, but not as modern as I've become accustomed to. I checked the bed linens specifically -- no sign of anything unclean.

So I had planned to write that everything was just dandy, until my second morning when I left my room around 7 a.m. and nearly tripped over a dirty room service tray that had obviously been left out overnight and never picked up. The same thing happened on the third night of my stay.

Couple of other observations: the walls are thin and it's easy to hear conversations in adjoining rooms; the ice machine on my floor remained broken the length of my stay; a maintenance guy arrived promptly when I called to report my TV broken and it was fixed within a couple of minutes; the pool needed a good cleaning; generally the staff was very pleasant.

Overall, though the hotel needs a complete remodeling/redecorating -- and someone needs to make sure that room service trays are picked up before the next morning -- this hotel is not nearly as bad as other reviews state. I agree with someone else on here who recommended the restaurant across the parking lot -- Huntington's, I think -- quite lovely.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ButchKin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

Clean room, nice layout, pretty carpet, nice bar area (good beer selection). Service was good, checkin/out went smooth even though they were very busy. Very pretty lobby. Several nice restaurants in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank John W
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

This was my first time in Mississippi and I needed a room for one night. The staff were all pleasant during check-in and check-out. I really liked the free airport shuttle service, as I was not renting a car. The hotel looked nice on the surface, but upon further inspection, I could see that it wasn't as clean as I originally thought. The carpet looked dirty and the grout was dingy. I also read in another review that they noticed a remnants of a red stain on the linen. I, too, saw red stains on the bed sheets as well as the towels. I would think that the maid service would notice this and dispose of these, but I guess not. I also noted that the old wallpaper looked stained and peeling in some areas.

The other thing that I didn't particularly care for was that they allow animals. I just feel like animals should not be allowed in places that are not their owners' homes. I automatically felt as though the hotel wasn't clean because of this. It didn't help that there was a fully grown, large German Shephard with a guest during check-in. The restaurant in the hotel closed at 11AM for some reason. The service and food in the bar area was average. My best part was the restaurant next door to the Hilton. I believe that it was called Huntington's. I went for dinner and although the service was a bit slow, the food was delicious.

I basically chose this hotel because of the free airport shuttle and I needed a place to stay for one night. I will be returning to Jackson next month for a wedding, but will be looking to stay at a different hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JMac711
HiltonJackson, General Manager at Hilton Jackson, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. We are currently planning an extensive renovation and I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our Guest experience so that we may incorporate that into our renovation plans. We are a pet friendly Hotel. The night that you stayed with us was the day after Hurricane Issac came ashore and the Hotel had a large number of evacuees from New Orleans and the Gulf Coast. A lot of the evacuees had brought their pets north with them, rather that abandoning them to the storm, so we did have a large number of pets in the Hotel during your stay. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and our Huntington's Grille located in the parking lot adjacent to the Hotel. I would like to invite you back to stay with us and let us know how we are doing the next time your travels bring you to the Jackson area. Thank you again for your feedback.

Skipper Westbrook
Gulfport, Ms
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Let me start by giving bonus points for the bed and shower. While the building seems to be an older building, the Hotel seems to have been renovated and is at overall level that you would expect from a Hilton. The room was a little bit small but they had all of the features needed in our double. This included a flat screen, desk, chair and safe. The bathroom was spacious and well lit with a shower head that actually had some water pressure behind it. On the downside, when people in other rooms would shower, you could hear the "whine" of the water pipes which was a bit disturbing in the early morning. All of the door hinges needed to be oiled. One squeaked badly and the bathroom door hinges seemed tight. We did find a door tag in the room specifically for maintenance issues and filled that out and left it on the door when we left.

We had breakfast comps to the attached restaurant so I don’t know the cost. Very good spread. They had made to order omelets an waffles. On the bar they had just about everything one could want; from a wide variety of fruit and granola to oatmeal, breakfast potatoes, corn beef hash, eggs benedict, fresh breads, pancakes, bacon, and sausage and more.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manchester England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

The welcome on checking in set a poor tone -very rushed by the one person on duty. Found the bathroom not cleaned-it looked like the maid had been called away half way through her work and forgot to return. reported to reception when we went to dinner but wasn't rectified on return. Dinner was a major let down-the restaurant is in the hotel car park and positions itself as fine ding but the waitress didn't know the menu-we had a problem with my wife's main course and instead of re preparing the meal we were given a completely different meal " because we would like it better" Restaurant manageress was excellent and recovered the situation but on top of the room problem it means we would not rush back

Room Tip: There appears to be no real difference whichever location you have here
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Rochester, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Where do I start with how bad this place is...the walls are paper thin and you can hear everthing. The beds are small and uncomfortable. The pillows are useless, the room smelled and the a/c barely worked. No provided breakfast like other hotels. To top this all off they wanted to charge full price despite a late night arrival and complaints, way over priced. DO NOT STAY HERE...your car is a better choice!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jackson, Mississippi
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

this was the worst stay ever.Where should i start i checked in this past weekend aug.2012 for my daughters sweet 16 bday trying to surprise her to the hotel that she has been wanting to visit since a young girl..while entering the room we noticed opened water bottles from other guests pink and brown spots on our sheets inspecting the bed its seems to be dog hair...ughh! i also noticed that we didnt have a refrigerator to keep my daughters 175.00 bday cake in so it melteed ..pissed i was also the floor smelled like dog urine the beds were so small i also video this room it was horrible the beds were uncomfortable and after asking the front desk for sheets and cover my daughter just slept in that old chair..thanks so much for ruining my babies sweet 16 bday.also upon leaving i had to mention this this room was 150.00 after speaking with the manager he reinbursed 33.00 i was like omg...please please check your rooms they made my day terrible my daughter still is talking about this all i could do was cry,...

Room Tip: only go to a comfort inn suite you will lovge it..nothing like this
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family