“Nice place to stay, even if you live in town!”
Review of Old Capitol Inn

Old Capitol Inn
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed August 13, 2014

No two rooms are alike and they have balconies! They helped me with a company conference and with friends trip. Parking is free and gated for extra security. It's also a great place for an event. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bbreazey

Reviewed July 28, 2014

I saw photos of this hotel online and just had to book for a night while in Jackson. It was absolutely charming. Our room was impeccable and had great personality and design. We had double doors that opened to a beautiful view of the courtyard from the third floor. Much to our delight, complimentary wine and cheese was offered in the early evening as we were heading out for dinner. The staff was very polite, prompt, friendly, and professional. My boyfriend and I did have a private complaint that was expeditiously addressed and resolved completely by staff and hotel owner, Mende Malouf Alford. If you have any concerns at all, you can be comfortable expressing them as the staff will go to great lengths to ensure that you are satisfied with your experience at Old Capitol Inn. I highly recommend staying at least one night here if you're in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Regan O
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stopped here for a night to break up the journey from Memphis to New Orleans. We immediately liked the hotel. It was small, southern and had a shady courtyard with some big fish in a pond. Plus the car parking was free.

However reception had misplaced the booking made by our travel agent and the following morning they charged us for the room even though it had previously been paid for. Luckily I spotted this and had the bill changed.

The room was was furnished and tidy. There was a small ante-room with swing doors where you could leave your luggage.

Our nights stay came with free wifi plus breakfast which we took full advantage of. Nothing like bacon, eggs and grits for breakfast.

We had a pleasant enough stay before heading off down south. Jackson the town/city was empty and finding a place to eat the previous night was a struggle. But I will save that for an another review.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We were in town for a family wedding and the reception was was in the hotel so we stayed there. Our room was okay but the hotel was not the experience we were hoping for.

First off, due to a miscommunication with one of our sons, we accidentally booked one too many rooms which was not discovered until we checked in. The manager on duty, Jamie was so rude about it, the very nice young man (wish I had gotten his name) felt the need to apologize for her and she needed apologizing for. She told us they had a 48 hour cancellation policy which of course we knew and there was nothing she could do. About an hour later, that nice young man who checked us in tracked me down to tell me they had no issue re-selling the room. Jamie is not the person they want dealing with guests. That experience alone would keep me from returning.

Secondly, the room just needed a face lift. The paint is patched in places, lights and sockets didn't work and it was generally not what you would expect. But the best was yet to come. In the middle of the night, I killed a thumb size roach in the bathroom. In case that was not bad enough, I forgot about it the next day and the housekeeper left it! YIKES!

My husband grew up here and we visit occasionally because we still have family there. We prefer the Fairview Inn and will stay there in the future.

Consider the Fairview!

Room Tip: Rooms on one side are smaller than on another. Ask for a room with a sitting area.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank GinnyH5566
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We stayed here for a little overnight romance on our wedding anniversary. Sadly, we didn't have the time to get too far away from home, so this was our compromise. We looked at the Hilton, the Marriott, and the King Edward, and assorted B&B's in the area, but finally, settled on the Old Capitol Inn, since we both like boutique and historic hotels.
Well, it wasn't such a compromise after all!

We were thoroughly impressed with the service, and with our room. We had a balcony suite with a very large two person jacuzzi, and a nice sized walk-in shower with body jets. On arrival, we found we had roses and a chilled bottle of wine in the room, and the staff bent over backwards to make our stay special.
The room itself is quite large, with a very comfortable king bed, and remote ceiling fans that move the air quite nicely. the furnishings are very nice, and they have Aveeda toiletries.
Prepare to be awakened at 7:30 or so if you are on the front of the building, however. They are right on State Street, which is one of the busiest thoroughfares in the city.
Breakfast was MUCH better than, as another reviewer put it "Holiday Inn" food. The cheese grits are fluffy, light and delicious, and the coffee is perfect. We recommend breakfasting early to get the table on the patio under the ceiling fan, right next to the koi pond in the courtyard. (The courtyard is gorgeous, and was voted "Best Place To Hold A Wedding Reception" in a local magazine.)
The only thing that keeps us from giving it a full 5 stars is the fact that, well, it's a four star hotel. There is no bellman, no dinner restaurant, and no room service. No knock on the hotel itself, it is what it is. Other than that, the Old Capitol Inn is just superb. We will be coming back again for additional romantic rendezvous!

FYI, our room was most definitely NOT handicapped accessible.

Room Tip: Get a balcony Jacuzzi suite. We recommend "Beauvoir"!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MoonlitMagnolias
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Thought I was making a quick one day trip to Jackson for work and was quire unhappy when we ended up having to stay...until we checked in to the Old Capitol Inn. We were greeted with a smile and true southern hospitality by Burkie at the front desk. He is a tremendous asset to the Inn and I truly hope the owners appreciate his hard work. Actually, all staff members I came in contact with was friendly and pleasant. I stayed in the Star By Faith room, which was beautiful and very comfortable. I felt like I was at home and not "stuck in a hotel". The breakfast was absolutely delicious!!! By far the best breakfast I've ever had at any hotel I've ever stayed!! They should NOT change a thing!!!! The gardens were beautiful and very relaxing. The Inn is filled with every ounce of southern charm you could want. As a Mississippi girl I was proud to see the traditions of the south and the hospitality we are known for represented so well at the Old Capitol Inn.

Room Tip: The few rooms I was able to see were all beautiful. I can't imagine there would be an unpleasan...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

First, this is not a Marriott or Hilton with tons of amenities. This is a small, boutique hotel in the heart of Jackson. The rooms are really small with very little storage, but they're unique and unlike any hotel room you've seen. The staff here is incredible. Everyone is incredibly friendly and helpful.

Stayed: June 2014