Sal & Mookie's New York Pizza and Ice Cream Joint
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I found this place on TripAdvisor and was very excited to eat here after reading the reviews and it being ranked high. The pizza was great. We did the half and half. For dessert I had the Creme Brule it was just ok. Now the food was good but our service was not!! Our waiter Vincent was not friendly at all. When he came to the table to greet us he just stood there and never said anything. He just stared. The time that we spent here he never asked us how we were doing and never came to check on us. This is my first review where I have had bad service at a place and had to write about it. On top of all that he charged us for the wrong meal. He mixed up our table with another couples table. This rating of very good is just for the food. I would rate the service just below average, but not poor because he wasn't rude just not friendly.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

If your looking for good Pizza, I haven't found a better place in Jackson. You have a choice of NY style, or whole wheat crust, and they are both good! There Empire state pizza has fresh ingredients if your looking for a veggie style. The Greewich Village Panini is also a good choice... I love the roasted eggplant, and caramelized onions. The menu has a good variety of salads, sandwiches, and soups as well. Service is usually prompt from being seated, through being served.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

This is definitely a family place, but there are also lunch meetings here. There is a large outdoor covered patio/deck which is nice when its breezy. Great lunch menu includes gourmet style pizza, pasta, burgers, calzones, and sandwiches. Somewhat seasonal menu. Desserts are simple but good (ice cream, cheesecake, brule, bread pudding, etc.). Some minor inconsistencies within the same items on different visits, but not so much as to be an issue.

Waitstaff is good overall, but could be better trained (our conversation has been interrupted on occasion - with no "excuse me" or similar). Hostesses are wildly inconsistent. Some have been great, others not friendly at all. Seating sometimes defies logic. Managers sometimes check up, a good sign. Sometimes they hide.

There is also a separate small bar area with a great (microbrew) draft beer selection. Prices overall are reasonable for the menu.

Have been here many times (more than 50). Recommend.

Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Good food. Good atmosphere. Kid heavy, but large enough that they don't distract. Try the chicken alfredo!

1  Thank Jericho C
Reviewed May 29, 2014

This was a really fun place to go with our family. Although our "kids" are grown, it was fun to go and watch the little ones choosing their special cones of ice cream...and did I mention the pizza is fantastic!