“Not a NYC Pizza parlor, but the pizza is close enough to be.”

Sal & Mookie's New York Pizza and Ice Cream Joint
Ranked #10 of 380 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: Italian, American, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York City, New York
“Not a NYC Pizza parlor, but the pizza is close enough to be.”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I love pizza. Not every pizza. I’m from NYC so I'm spoiled because my favorite pizzas are from NYC, which outside of Italy is where the best place pizzas are made. Not everyone will agree, but that’s fine because after traveling around this entire big world and having eaten pizza in lots of cities in lots of countries, I can say without a doubt that this is the truth and a fact. I no longer live in NYC, so I’m always on the lookout for a decent pizza joint that makes great pizzas, if not a NYC pizza.
So, whenever I hear of a place claiming to have “NYC pizza, etc.” I have to try it. I’ve tried some bad tasting pizzas in my travels from goat cheese pizza to totally burnt pizzas; from plastic tasting cheese to frozen dough. Now, this is what pizza is all about. It is definitely, without a doubt NYC pizza with the exception that NYC pizza doesn’t have all the fixings on them, like this place does. Traditional NYC pizza is just plain cheese, with pepperoni or the thick square slices called Sicillian stlye. NYC pizza also doesn’t come in whole wheat. From what I saw and tasted on my first visit here, this pizza does it right from the smell, sight and texture, though the crust should be a tad bit thicker so the slice doesn’t bend and the pepperoni doesn’t fall off. Other than that, if you are looking for an authentic tasty NYC pizza, such as the terrific city of NYC makes, this is the place to go for it.
Sadly, Mississippi, like Hawaii, doesn’t have pizza joints, with the exception of Pizza Hut and Domino’s, which in my opinion is a sad substitute for pizza. Pizza Shack was it for me, though not the best pizza I ever tasted, or the worst, and not a NYC pizza, it was the best , so far in Mississippi. Not anymore. Now that I found Sal and Mookie’s, and as long as they don’t change anything, this will be the pizza parlor (which is what we call them in the Big Apple) for me. Great pizza, though a bit pricey: Never in my life did I ever pay thirty bucks for a whole pizza pie, and I’ve lived in Hawaii, Alaska, LA and NYC. Comfortable ambience: It’s more of a restaurant and less of a diner. There is wait staff and both inside and outside dining. And the ice cream cones aren’t bad either. I had a huckleberry one, which was delicious and refreshing on a nice hot Mississippi day.

• Visited May 2014

Mattoon, Illinois
“Good pizza in a party atmosphere.”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We did do an early dinner at Sal and Mookie’s New York Style Pizza and Ice Cream Joint on a Sunday evening. It turned out to be another pretty good choice. We had a half-and-half pizza: Joan’s half, “Rockaway Beach” was made with three cheeses (mozzarella, Provolone and sharp yellow cheddar), grilled chicken, and sautéed green bell peppers and onions. My half was called the Meat Packing District - Italian plum tomato sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, spicy Italian sausage, prosciutto, and Genoa salami. We drank water with our meal as we were planning on treating ourselves to a malted milkshake after the pizza. And that plan was executed perfectly.

$43 with tax and gratuity.

Visited April 2014
Jackson, Mississippi
“Expensive for pizza, but it is worth it!”
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

THE place for pie in Jackson! As mentioned it is pricey, but the food IS EXCELLENT! The atmosphere is good, outdoor seating is a bonus.

Brandon, MS
“Great pizza and ice cream!”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Light-hearted atmosphere, great for families or a group of friends. Pizza is wonderful, as is their ice cream for dessert!

• Visited October 2013
Jackson, Mississippi
“Best pizza in town!”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

One of the best local pizza places in town! I always order the South Street Seaport, the Meatpacking District or the Rikers Island. You can't go wrong with either a pizza or stromboli. The wings are great too. I'd recommend this place to anyone

• Visited March 2014