“Always good, but get there before the lunch rush!”

Sal & Mookie's New York Pizza and Ice Cream Joint
Ranked #10 of 380 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: Italian, American, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
anywhere
“Always good, but get there before the lunch rush!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I often eat here when I'm in Jackson and have always had a good experience. The place fills up during lunch and parking gets scarce. So, go early or late!

Visited September 2013

DFW
“Great Pizza!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here when traveling to Florida. Called and was told wait would be an hour but we went anyway. Drive up and they have a policeman directing traffic and helping with parking. Yes it was that busy! However, our wait was only an hour so the adults went to their Pie Bar and had a drink. The BadaBing was great! Service was a bit slow but our waiter was entertaining and accommodating for our nieces birthday. Had the chicken Alfredo, gambino pizza, meatball sub, wings, mozzarella sticks, and greens salad. Blue cheese dressing was great. All food was very good and a regular pizza which has 6 slices was HUGE! Could have fed easily 6 of us! Great place to stop and eat!

• Visited August 2013
Jackson, Mississippi
“Local Favorite”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This is one of my favorite places to eat in the area. I've had several menu items and they're all very good, but the pizzas are my absolute favorite. Every pizza I've tried has been outstanding, but my favorites are the Central Park and the classic pepperoni and sausage. For dessert, they have many different options, and you definitely can't go wrong with any of the ice cream sundaes. When I'm with a large group, we love to split the Grand Central Station. 10 scoops of ice cream with all the toppings you want...it's a lot of fun!

• Visited August 2013
United States
“Outstanding eggplant parm sub”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Ok, I am from NY and an eggplant parm snob. Not only was this sub the best egg parm sub I've had since I left NY, it might actually rival (gulp) the egg parm subs I had WHILE in NY. I hope lightning doesn't strike me as I'm writing this. My son had the meatball sub and loved it, too, and the great thing is that both of our sandwiches came with the Caesar salad option as a side. We took cheesecake to go and my only critique is that the cheesecake (yes, I'm also a cheesecake snob) is not the quintessential NY cheesecake. What I mean is that it wasn't as dense and luxurious on the tongue as I prefer, it almost seemed to have other ingredients whipped into the batter other than cream cheese and sour cream. Also, the graham cracker crust did not have enough butter mixed in to keep it dense and moist, too. Other than my lament over the cheesecake, I will go here again and check out the pizza. Southern service in a NY joint, how perfect is that?

• Visited July 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
“Catering menu = delicious meals to take home for a crowd.”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Flew into Jackson and had an 1 1/2 hour drive to visit family. Called Sal and Mookie's a day or so ahead and ordered from their catering menu. Picked up appetizers, large salad, hot pasta entrees and dessert tray for 10 people. Then drove 1 1/2 hours and arrived at their home at suppertime with a bountiful and delicious dinner for my relatives - nobody had to cook - everyone got to visit. I ordered one additional catering size entrée (hot pasta section of the menu) that could be heated and served during my visit. This catering menu is what I have been looking for in Jackson as I travel on my way to visit relatives. http://www.salandmookies.com/catering/

• Visited May 2013