“A wonderful glimpse into the life of a writer” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Eudora Welty House

Eudora Welty House
Ranked #8 of 53 things to do in Jackson
More attraction details
Owner description: The restored gardens of this deceased Mississippi writer.
Signal Mountain, Tennessee
120 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“A wonderful glimpse into the life of a writer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

This house museum does what all such places should do: it provides a sharp insight into its resident. Miss Welty was a Jackson treasure and so is her former home. Highly recommended.

Visited May 2012

Rhode Island
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

A must visit for any Welty or literary fans! Very knowledgeable, local tour guide. The house is full of family belongings, books, and art. It looks like Eudora just stepped away for a walk! Her presence in the house is palpable. The intro video is helpful in putting her life in context. The gardens are lovely and visitors are encouraged to sit and enjoy the cool oasis. It's located in the picturesque Belhaven neighborhood, a gem in itself. Highly recommended.

Visited April 2012
Sharpsburg, GA
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

I am amazed that such care and attention to detail were taken in order to present the author's home as it was the day she passed away. It was a nice tour and I enjoyed learning about a Southern author.

Visited May 2011
San Antonio, Texas
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

Ms. Welty was an amazing artist, photographer, and writer, The house and gardens were amazing.

Visited March 2012
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A Visit to the Home of writer, Eudora Welty, is a Must in Jackson, MI.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

I had never been to the state of Mississippi before, and was determined to visit a new venue to increase my appreciation for this fantastic country in which we live. I did not plan ahead very wisely, but just thought that I would like to go there since I had never before been there.

When my plane landed in Jackson, MI, I thought to myself, "What am I doing here?" When I got off the plane and walked into the airport, all doubts were erased from my mind.

The first thing I noticed when I entered the airport interior was a photo exhibit focusing on sports. It was not focused on any particular, just sports of all kinds and of all interests from professional sports to little league sports! I was very impressed.

After looking at the photography exhibit, I proceeded to the departure area and noticed a wonderful exhibit featuring information about Medgar Evers, a Civil Rights leader from the 1950's who was assassinated on June 12, 1963. I spent some time at that exhibit looking at the Ever's exhibit which contained photos, sculpture, press releases, and other very interesting information. I thought it was a very outstanding tribute to Mr. Evers, and I am very glad that I had the opportunity to visit it.

Next I noticed a few exhibits that included products that are either grown or manufactured in the great state of Mississippi. If one knows as little as I did about Mississippi prior to going there, these exhibits were very interesting and informational.

Next came my only disappointment from my visit to Jackson. The only transportation available to the downtown area from the airport was a taxi. I had not made reservations for a car rental; therefore, my only option was to take a cab which cost me almost fifty dollars. In any case, there were no cars available for rental when I arrived in Jackson.

I arrived at my hotel, Days Inn on Lakeside. around four PM. I stowed my gear and walked to the downtown area of Jackson. I walked around for about three to four hours which was topped off with a visit tot he Eudora Welty Library where I met two wonderful ladies who were very helpful in setting me out on a very interesting visit to their marvelous city.

The next day I visited the Welty home, and was simply fascinated with what I saw and heard. I had two wonderful guides - I was the only person on that particular tour - and I really hated to have the tour end. One of the things I learned on that tour was that Eudora Welty was a mentor to one of my all-time favorite writers, Reynolds Price! I had studied Price and Welty in a college course I took on Southern Writers at Roanoke College, but I did not know or had forgotten that the two writers were acquainted. Sadly, I also learned that Reynolds Price had died last year of a heart attack.

At the end of my tour, my terrific guides, Beverly and Jessica took me to the yard of the home where I was allowed to take pictures. Photos are not allowed inside the home. Then the two young ladies took me back to the business office where I was able to purchase a couple of Welty's books, Eudora Welty - Photographs, and Welty -Stories, Essays, & Memoir.

My decision to go to Jackson was a good one. There is plenty of exciting things to see and do there, and the people are among the friendliest I have ever met. Anyone planning a trip to the south should pencil in Jackson, Mi. It will be a trip you will not easily forget, and one that you will completely enjoy.

Visited February 2012