“Pleasant Stay”
Review of Jackson Marriott

Jackson Marriott
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Have seen numerous write ups discussing the hotel is 'dated', and certainly you could consider the room decor as such, but we had a room last weekend on the 11th floor. It was very clean, quiet, an excellent view, and the TV was flat screen. I think the service is good and very friendly staff. We ate lunch in the hotel restaurant, which was a bit slow, but the food was quite good. The location of the hotel is prime for downtown activities, particularly gov. meetings etc. The Gov. Mansion is a block away, Capitol is within walking distance along with several other public buildings. I felt completely safe during the day, although there have been concerns voiced about night walks alone. We had no trouble with parking. Security has a presence in the garage. The lobby is lovely. Elevators worked just fine. They don't have any of the pay TV channels for free like HBO etc.. and internet is $12 per day as is parking, so those are some extras you won't see at the Hilton across town. The beds are great, very comfortable, and they do have a nice size frig in the room which comes in handy (don't have that at the Hilton). Lots of meeting rooms...this is a big hotel. There are lunch spots very close by but not really nice restaurants. Right across the street you have Chick Filet and Subway with a coffee shop. Not much of a walk to some other sandwich places. Overall, if you want to visit Jackson and see the historical district by just walking out the front of your hotel, this is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: I'm a Marriott member, so maybe easier to get these, but ask for the upper floors to get a reall...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sam J
There are newer reviews for Jackson Marriott

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks for work. Night staff isn't the friendliest. They charge for everything(getting a package delivered). The area is a little suspect. Had to go back to my room as I forgot something parked in front of hotel and ran into a homeless person. He told me he was HIV positive and the homeless shelter is full, wanted money. The area is ok during the day but at night it's completely different. Go out in groups at night.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed May 5, 2013

If there were a choice for poor plus, this would be more accurate. The bellman, food service staff, even the engineers were exceptional. Now that being said, you may wonder why I know so much about the engineers. First, on entering our room we met with a loud rushing noise, sounding like the toilet overflowing. Called front desk who didn't seem concerned but they sent the engineer. He kindly checked it out, said he heard the noise, but didn't think it would be a problem. I asked about another room, but he said it is the same all over. Ok, it does become somewhat of a white noise after a while. So, got in and settled, my son and I wanted to find a movie to rent on demand, but found that the tv didn't work. So, called front desk, they sent engineer. He eventually shows up, struggles for about half an hour, but manages to replace the back of the tv and gets it going for us. I asked him to help us find the on demand channels. After looking for a while he understands what we want, but this Marriott has no movie access. Ok, thanks. So we think about getting movie on laptop or iPad. But there is no Internet access. So, called front desk, they sent the poor engineer back to our room. He brings a cable, which does not work. So, he gives us a help number to call. Called them, they go through a long list of instructions, which I have already followed, to no avail. I tried to assure them that it isn't that I can't follow directions....so they ping a few hotspots and eventually get a weak signal to our room. After which we have to call in with the web address for each individual device. Signal too weak to watch said movie, but I am exhausted at that point and have resigned myself to my fate....
On to the hotel itself, the room is small, wallpaper peeling from the wall in several places. The decor screams 1980s from the top of its lungs. The wallpaper in the bathroom is Christmas themed, really, holly and berries. There is one set of towels, one bathrobe and one bottle of water in our room. Even though the resv was for two. I get the impression the hotel might go under if they put two bottles of water in the room!
I have seen this before at some of the Courtyards, but never a "full service" Marriott, the "shop" to purchase snacks is sort of behind the front desk as if they are afraid that someone might lift a package of M and Ms. It just seems a little creepy.
They do have a buffet breakfast which is poor quality except for the omelette station. The lady cooking up some omoletes, eggs, French toast, etc is a ringer. Great French toast and pancakes, too. She is definitely the star of the show, waiters and waitresses were nice.
Given that I am a frequent traveler and have gold status, I would have comped the breakfast to me but they did not. I had been told when making my resv that the concierge room would be open only on the first night of our stay as Marriott doesn't keep it open on the weekends. As it turns out, someone had reserved the lounge for a private party, so it wasn't even available for the first night. There should be some compensation for that, but none was offered. This is the most expensive hotel in Jackson, but it doesn't come close to any other hotel in the region, except maybe it's only slightly better sister hotel in Baton Rouge.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank spott
JacksonMarriott, Manager at Jackson Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2015

As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience during your travels, we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal during your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure that this was an isolated issue that is corrected moving forward.

Upholding our commitment to provide a memorable experience with exceptional service, we hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Jackson
Dave R

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here as a family of four traveling through. We were very impressed with the hotel. It did show its age a bit but the building is in historic downtown so you would expect things to be a bit older. The Breakfast was outstanding and free for children. Overall loved the room, it was very large and very nice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed at the subject hotel due to a conference. Several items I consider over the limit:
Room was $130 but I paid $ 180 due to group rate deadline passing (my fault). But even at $130 it is way overpriced. Due to Government is handy and was where the meeting was. The room was okay, but they wanted to give me 2 doubles instead of a King as I had reserved, and we were right by the elevator, ice machine, and so forth, so they obviously did not read the reservation. The staff was extremely nice or the score would have been a 1 or worse.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bob B
Reviewed April 9, 2013

As a PLATINUM level of Marriott's frequent guest program, my rooms are usually always perfect. My preferences (away from elevator & soda/ice machines & no feathers) are always respected - EXCEPT HERE.

I had to change rooms, as they put me next to the soda/ice machine and across from the elevators. To top it off, my bed was complete with feather pillows and a down comforter.

The Concierge Lounge was comfortable. The breakfasts were good, and the evening snacks wee not quite enough to make a meal out of.

Staff was friendly, but front desk was disorganized.

Room Tip: INSIST on something that is not under the Concierge Lounge. Otherwise, you hear them setting up for...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank TiredWorldTraveler
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We travel to Jackson regularly and always stay at this property. The parking is so convenient and the breakfast buffet is always good. The bar offers some food as well. It is downtown, so there are no restaurants within walking distance in the evening, but it is easy in and out. Walking around downtown in the daytime is great, the capital is very close. The Catholic Cathedral is on the same block too. The staff could not be more accommodating and the views are pretty cool!

Room Tip: Ask for a room up high, it is fun to see the city below.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family