“A pleasant revisit”

Nick's
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I return to Nick's after a long hiatus only because their change in location was not as "familiar" as before. Being a patron for many years in the Lakeland location, I have forgotten the excellent service and quality food presented at Nick's after the move. The restaurant decor is nice and the bar area is comfortable for those looking for an after work place to enjoy a happy hour and appetizer. My wife enjoyed one of the best filet mignon she has ever had, while I had the soft shelled crab and oyster appetizer. Top notch. All was very well prepared and presented. We will return on a regular basis as we feel as if we have been reintroduced to an old friend.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

The occasion was our 50th wedding anniversary, just the two of us. Nicks has always been our special occasion restaurant. I looked them up on trip advisor. What happened? The reviews said it all. Expensive, gone down, old menu is gone. All were correct. But now, the menu has gone back to the old favorites. The up the hill trendy restaurant is now rated number one in Jackson and it is good, but not fine dining. Nick's tried to match them and found out that they have their own place in the restaurant business - Upscale fine dining. Fine dining is expensive, that why trip Advisor has the dollar signs to indicate the type of dining. Four $ signs is for special occasions.
That is what Nick's is in the evening. The food we had was excellent, the service was excellent, the atmosphere was excellent. For that we paid $120 including a glass of wine each and dessert. It was worth every bit we paid. My brother wanted to take us out two days before the special occasion so we went to the up the hill restaurant. I will review it too. They are both good, but for slightly different reasons.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I visit Jackson every couple of months or so and we are always looking for great places to eat. We were looking for a place that served brunch on Sunday and we came across an article on Nick's now serving brunch. While the article was flattering, the recent reviews of Nick's on TripAdvisor made us a little wary. Nick's reputation, however, was excellent, so we decided to give it a try. Boy, are we glad we did!

We arrived a little before noon so we had to wait a few minutes before the Bloody Mary bar opened (thanks, Mississippi liquor laws). We chose to sit in the outdoor area, which was nice but not especially scenic. A glance at the interior made a very positive impression.

Our waitress was very accommodating and suggested monkey bread while we waited. Very good but very sweet. The Bloody Mary bar was almost overwhelming; too many choices! Suffice it to say, it was excellent. As I read somewhere, since it is free refills, you need to either pace yourself, have a designated driver, or order food to mitigate the alcohol. We ordered the Mexican Shrimp and Grits and, likewise, we were pleased. Not spicy, but flavorful.

Several of the previous reviews complained about service, or food choices, or price. None of these were an issue to us. Service was great, the food was excellent, and the price reasonable (around $25 per person). Of course, this was brunch and it may be different if we came for dinner on a Friday night. But if brunch is an indication, Nick's lived up to its traditional reputation.

Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I used to really like this place. We went here recently, and it was not the same. Crowd was small, and food just wasn't very good. And it was expensive!!! One bartender for bar and whole restaurant! We will not be returning.

1  Thank John W
Reviewed March 23, 2013

service was great and atmosphere was top notch. However the food was hardly what should be expected for the price. It costs nearly six hundred dollars for a group of seven to leave disappointed and still hungry.

2  Thank michael a