“Good, Happy Food”

Hickory Pit
Ranked #85 of 394 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We heard that this place has consistently been voted best barbecue in Mississippi, so of course we came by! The place has that southern homey-feel, with the red and white checked covers on the tables, and display case of fresh pies. You order at the counter, and they give you a number, kind of like at a Whataburger. The food came pretty fast, and it was all perfect! Perfectly smoked meats. Go there. Go with my blessing.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Its a must for any trip through central MS. Yep, I'll go way out of my way to make sure I get some chicken, pork, and hershey bar dessert when I'm passing through.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were looking for some good, inexpensive, Mississippi BBQ while in Jackson for the afternoon. It's a small place with just a few tables in side and out, nice guys behind the counter on early Saturday evening. There were three tables full of people inside and a constant flow through their drive trough.

One chopped pork and one chopped beef sandwich plate. Three different sauces on the table, Hot was good, mild was tasty the sweet was too sweet for me. Sandwiches were decent sized...with a but of lettuce/cabbage on top of the meat. The meat was tasty but nothing terribly exciting. The 2 table spoons of beans were good...but too small a portion. The mustard potato salad was wonderful, Sour pickle and yellow mustard just like my mother-in-law's! Just not enough of it.
Bottom line is not bad BBQ...just a little under portioned...for $10 each.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

this was an excellant stop for our family. The chopped pork was incredible and the slaw was perfect. The staff was friendly and the place was clean.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I had lunch at the Hickory Pit today, January 8, 2013. I had the Rib Plate (1/2 rack), and tea. I had the dry ribs. They have a rub on them, and I found them to be very good. The rub was good, but not overpowering, and the plate was more than I could eat. The price was reasonable. Having said that, however, there really isn't anything to set the Hickory Pit apart from most Bar-B-Q restaurants. I will certainly go back, and I would recommend it to anyone, but I can't find any reason to rate them more than average.

Been to Hickory Pit? Share your experiences!