“Best B-B-Q in JACKSON”

Hickory Pit
Ranked #167 of 388 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed June 16, 2011

As a native Jacksonian I can say I have been going to the Hickory Pit for over 20 years and have never been disappointed. They have pork and beef B-B-Q and both are delicious. Often I just buy a pound of pork and make sandwiches at home. They have mild or strong sauce,both of which are great. When we eat at the restaurant, I often get a plate with a B-B-Q sandwich and side dishes which are all good. I particularly enjoy the slaw which is fairly sweet but tart enough to compliment the sandwiches. I read another review that said he loved the B-B-Q but didn't try the deserts. Well. he missed one the the best things going. the Hershey Bar Pie. I can't describe it, just try it yourself, it's to die for. One piece and you'll buy a whole one to take with you. Since they have been in north Jackson, many other B-B-Q restaurants have come and gone including chains like Corky's, Sonny's, and Red,Hot & Blue. Why? You figure it out.

1  Thank tamacker

Reviewed November 14, 2008

While visiting Jackson I read that the Hickory Pit was voted best BBQ in 2008. My wife and I tried it. She ordered the pork plate and it was OK. I ordered the ribs, luckily I ordered wet. The slaw was on the sweet side which I like. The beans were also good. The ribs were hands down the worst I have ever had! The meat on the ribs could have been past off as jerky. They had a slight after taste like stale peanuts. Even after drowning the ribs in the sauce I could not gag down most of the ribs. I walked out leaving most of the plate on the table. I can't believe that this was best BBQ.

1  Thank Paul T
Reviewed June 12, 2008

Oh My Goodness!! after one good and one mediocre review I was skeptical. I got the pork ribs and the pork sandwich just to try a few different things. The sandwich was alright, nothing special BUT THE RIBS!! I've been traveling through the south and these are the first ribs that have truly been fantastic!!

The portions are HUGE with the ribs, I was full after 1/4 rack and sides (and a couple of bites of the pork sandwich), but I HAD to keep eating. The ribs are a little more pricy (I think 13$) but well worth it!!

Check it out if you're in town!

Reviewed April 13, 2008

This bbq joint was listed on dixiedining.com. Dixiedining.com has never let me down. The relatively small restaurant is easy to find, right off I-55. The folks behind the counter are nice. You order and pick up your food and take it to one of the tables. Drinks are self serve. The iced tea was authentic southern. Just the right amount of being too sweet. I had a pork sandwich and the smoky flavor was evident and enhanced by the sauces on the table. I like sweet sauce and this took it over the top. They have hot sauce for the more adventuresome. I also had a bowl of brunswick stew. It had a real tomato taste to it, which I liked. It had nice chunks of meat and just the right amount of corn. I was too full to try one of the pie slices for dessert. Next time I find myself there, I will not have the stew and save room for the pie that caught my eye, oreo cream. I highly recommend this joint for true bbq lovers.

1  Thank mjacob1818
Reviewed December 19, 2007

A bit over-priced for BBQ, but a pretty good pork sandwich.