“Surprisingly delicious”
Review of Julep Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Julep Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Northside Drive and Frontage Road
Description: At Julep we believe too much of a good thing can be wonderful. And that's exactly what you can expect when you experience the delightfully creative menu featuring the freshest and finest ingredients presented in the most unexpected fare imaginable!
San Diego, California
“Surprisingly delicious”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We went here on New Year's Eve, & were pleasantly surprised by how delicious the food was. I had crawfish étouffée & my bf had their famous chicken dish. Amazing!!! The crawfish had a nice spice to it & the chicken had a nice honey flavor that was delicious. We have already made plans to eat here again.

“Thoroughly Pleased!”
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

A group of 5 of us dined on a Monday evening. We were seated fairly quickly and were greeted by our server promptly. We ordered the Crawfish Egg Rolls, the Redneck Sausage & Cheese Plate and the Shrimp Toast for appetizers. The egg rolls were very good and the sausage and cheese plate was a pleasant treat. However, the shrimp toast was phenomenal! 2 of our group had the Crawfish Etoufee and the rest had the Shrimp and Grits. I was told by the others that their dishes were very good. But my Shrimp & Grits were far better than I expected. The server was attentive without hovering. The restaurant was clean and well maintained. Do yourself a favor and put this on your list of places to go.

Texas
“Service Made the Difference_DvB”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I eaten at this restaurant once before; about five years ago I had dinner while in town for a multi-day exam. I passed with flying colors so the meal could not have hurt.

This occasion was a lunch reunion with a few friends who suggested this as a first option. The prices were slightly higher than lunch usually costs, especially for Mississippi. The friends suggested the fried chicken, which had a note about award winning quality. The flavors of the chicken were rich without being overpowering. The chicken was moist and tender. The accompanying mashed potatoes were very good if a little bland. I think this may have been to highlight the quality of the potatoes used since the natural flavor was very prominent (this is easier to explain if you have tried chicken eggs from a small farm as compared to store brand eggs; these potatoes were equivalent of the former), but my personal preference is a more seasoned potato side. Still, the green beans were my favorite part of my meal and the most distinct from other restaurants’ offerings. Portion quality was sufficient, but I am not sure that the chicken deserved any spectacular recognition beyond “very good.”

I sampled the chicken salad-salad and I probably would have preferred that for my lunch. It was perfectly seasoned and light. I also tried the hummus appetizers that served four portions of neatly stacked hummus on pita with vegetables. The biscuits presented prior to the meal offered flaky, buttery delight.

Our server, Ryan, was attentive and exceptionally polite. His attitude and manner easily qualify him for any five-star establishment. He was pretty sharp too… when he took my plate, I slipped him my card in the hand underneath and unlike many previous servers he made no obvious acknowledgement. When he returned for the other dishes, he brought a closed to-go container and smiled as he handed me the box. Inside was my ticket of course. My friends were shocked that we had handled the bill without exchanging any visible signals.

I think our waiter made the experience. Excellent service is one way to encourage repeat business, and our server exceeded expectations. To assure patronage, this service was coupled with well-prepared food. All of us enjoyed our respective dishes without going overboard with praises. The main pa

Ocean Springs, Mississippi
“Disappointing”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

My family ate here for Saturday brunch, on recommendation from a friend, for my birthday. The hipster, artsy vibe of the place is great, with a mix of young and older folks from all walks of life. They have several great beer on tap, including some local breweries. The host was very nice, and seated us promptly. However, things went downhill from there. The waitress, who was also making drinks at the bar, did not seem particularly interested in serving our table versus her younger crowd at the bar. She took a long time to bring drinks and take our order, despite the small crowd. We ordered beignets, shrimp and grits, fried green tomatoes Napoleon, and the kids Mac and cheese. They brought out the adult plates ten minutes before the kids...never a good idea. The shrimp was overcooked, however the grits and sauce were okay. The fried green tomato dish was just okay, the goat cheese overwhelmed the tomato. The beignets were dry, definitely no Cafe du Monde. The kids approved of the Mac and cheese, but it is hard to screw up Mac and cheese. I heard such excellent things about this restaurant, and had such high hopes. Very disappointing for a birthday brunch.

Oxford, Mississippi
“Average”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Food is average, service unenthusiastic. Took quite a while to get lunch.

The club sandwich had bacon and turkey on one half (cut in 2, not 4) and only ham on the other. Either a slipup in the kitchen or an unexpectedly unwelcome innovation on a familiar sandwich.

The salad was better and got a good review.

We would return only if we could not get in some place better.

• Visited October 2013