“not the restaurant we have loved in the past”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mayflower Cafe

Mayflower Cafe
Ranked #17 of 380 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Brandon, Mississippi
“not the restaurant we have loved in the past”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

I usually dine here at lunch.
It is struggling to stay open with the endless street construction.
Service is always good with a friendly atmosphere.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank lpw2014

“Good Food - Interesting Atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Walking in this place felt like walking back 50 years in time. They sure know how to squeeze every dime out of the furniture and decor. Not sure whether to admire them for their thriftiness, or think of them as cheapskates. However, you can tell that this place is treasured by many generations in Jackson. We had the stuffed flounder, which was very good and tasty. Our server was stressed, but friendly. The place is small and quickly got very crowded. One party's table was moved three times while they sat there to make room for other parties. We were glad we were in a booth. It's a great place place to people watch! The price was a bit high for what you got. Make sure you go early, as they ran out of many entrees and desserts by 6:30.

Visited June 2014
Jackson, Mississippi
“Incredible food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

This little restaurant may look like your average greasy spoon, but it's much better than that. The food is great, the prices are right, and the atmosphere is unbeatable. Can't wait to go back!

Visited April 2014
Jackson, Mississippi
“Will Never Return”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

I have not returned to this restaurant for a couple of years but was just asked to review and I feel I need to pass on my experience. While the food is moderately ok I feel that the owner does not have his customers' best interest in mind. I left something on my table and realized it within 10 minutes of leaving the restaurant. I immediately called and the waitress said she would check with the bus boys. I told her I was on my way back but when I got there she said nobody had seen my phone. Not possible, I just left! After about 2 weeks of trying to get the security tape the owner said he could see the busboy take it off the table but if I would like to offer a reward he may be able to get it back!! Every word of this is true and while I want nothing more than a privately owned business to be successful this attitude concerns me for the patrons.

• Visited June 2013
Huddleston, Virginia
“The heart and soul of Jackson”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Mayflower is more than just a great restaurant, it is where civic leaders from Jackson meet to share ideas and chart the future, usually on Friday nights. It is a highly unlikely venue for power-broker lunches & dinners. Don't judge this book by its cover!

The seafood is the best in town. (Be sure to try the Snapper.) Portions are ample and no one leaves this place hungry. The prices are quite reasonable, probably due to the fact that the restaurant has not been renovated for literally decades.

If you are visiting Jackson, the Mayflower should be at the top of your "must visit" places. Not only will you enjoy a great meal at a reasonable price, you can experience a core element of the living history & local culture in the heart of Mississippi. It is eclectic, old and is a wonderful throwback to some of the better aspects of living in Jackson 50 years ago.

• Visited November 2013