“Really great food, but very grubby”
Review of Two Sister's Kitchen - CLOSED

Two Sister's Kitchen
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We visited the Two Sisters Kitchen, whilst en route from New Orleans to Birmingham, based on its Trip Advisor and Man v's Food reviews.

The restaurant is a self serve buffet, and all of the food was really good. In particular, the chicken, and the spaghetti. We arrived just in time to catch the end of the sitting, so there was no dessert left, but we were full anyway.

The staff were lovely and really friendly, and it was exceptionally cheap.

So far so good...

The ONLY thing that let it down was the bathroom. It was absolutely filthy... Think of the Saw films, and you might get the idea. I was glad I had already eaten before I went, otherwise, I don't think I would have wanted to eat there!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

The very best food, service, atmosphere, etc in the South! Nothing else to add-------------------------------------------------------WoW!
Jerry

1  Thank Jan L
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Our second Sunday lunch at Two Sisters and it did not disappoint. It is not haute cuisine, the plates don't match, and you may have to pick your way thru the crowd, but it's still a smokin' good place to eat. The building which houses Two Sisters could have come from the set of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane - which only adds to the character. I'm going to trust that it is clean where it needs to be clean. BTW, this is not the kind of food that you should eat every day. At least not unless you have the kind of job that burns off 4,000 calories a day. But occasionally, it's just what the Dr. ordered. I suspect the menu (at the buffet line) stays pretty much the same. Crowder peas, fried okra, greens, creamed corn, mashed potatoes, lima beans, rice and gravy, pork chops, fried chicken and smothered steak. I don't think anything served had ever seen the inside of a can. Is that southern enough for you? Deserts include apple crisp, peach cobbler and bread pudding. Don't be an idiot (as one reviewer was) and ask for hot tea. I mean, really! When the weather is pleasant, as it was today, there is ample outside dining in their courtyard - complete with live music on Sundays. This is not fine dining, but it is really satisfying food in a very interesting setting. I think it would be a great place to bring guests - particularly if they haven't experienced "southern cookin'" served in an old columned home that has seen better days.
This is a bit of an aside from the food and restaurant review, but thought I'd mention it. When my wife and I were seated and our server brought our ice tea, I started looking for the hidden camera. I was sure we were on some sort of reality tv show. Our server was one of the most stunningly attractive women I've ever seen. My wife suggested I pay more attention to my fried chicken - so I did.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

This is lunch dining must when you are in Jackson, MS. Two Sisters' Kitchen is open only for lunch and features a southern cooking buffet that changes daily. As mentioned in other reviews, the restaurant is a converted home with dining available in just about every room and out on the patio during good weather. The food is truly magnificient, and the price, at only $12 per person, is more than reasonable. There were two buffet tables that I saw with each holding about 12-14 different items. The cuisine is totally 'down home cookin' and the food was fantastic. The sweet tea cannot be made any better, and the fried chicken was about the best I've ever had, and believe me, my family knows how to fry chicken. So Two Sisters chicken is in a place all by itself. The desserts were so scrumptious that my wife asked to try a small portion of 3 different desserts and she was amazed at the taste of each of them. The restaurant also allows take out, so if you don't have a lot of time, that may be an option. The only place I've liked better is Ma Wilkes Boarding House in Savannah, GA, but that's two whole states away.

1  Thank JohnSandy
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Down the street from the state capital, this house is a bit run down but that 's part of the deal. A lunch buffet that has lots of southern favorites is very good.

1  Thank pageezer