“Good service and high quality food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Char Restaurant

Char Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Char Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 379 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: E Northside Dr.
Description: Char restaurant offers modern Southern cuisine with distinct spirit and charm. Char offers great lunch specials during the week and a jazz brunch on Sunday. Our specialties include USDA Prime and Choice cuts of beef, veal and lamb, along with seafood and shellfish roasted to perfection. At Char we give you excellent service and food in a warm and entertaining atmosphere. Char is locally owned by the same folks that brought you Amerigo Italian Restaurant, Sombra Mexican Kitchen, Anjou Restaurant and Saltine Oyster Bar. Located in Highland Village, Char offers reservations and private dining rooms for special events. If you prefer to host your event at your venue of choice, we'll bring fine dining to you! Char offers delivery and full-service catering options for groups of any size. Our Sales Manager will work with you to create a customized menu with flawless execution of your special day.
GA,
“Good service and high quality food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

the service was good although too long a wait for being served. Waiters were too few and had lots to do

Visited August 2012

Vicksburg, Mississippi
“Simply put, I won’t be back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Simply put, I won’t be back. This was my first visit to Char and I wasn’t impressed. Compared to most fancy restaurants I’ve been to lately, the “free” bread was unimpressive. The meal was way too expensive for the small portions. The service was mediocre especially considering the price.

On the plus side, appetizers of gumbo and shrimp cocktail were good. The “special” of redfish was a small portion of slightly overcooked fish for $32 (more than any fish dish on the menu). Also ordered was duck that was tough and chewy.

I really wanted dessert because #1 I was still hungry and #2 I wanted to see what a $10 piece of chocolate cake looked like. But Char already had too much of my money so I left and had dessert elsewhere.

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“Dinner and Music”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

A night to relax and enjoy some music on the piano. Staff was very friendly and made our DATE NIGHT very personal. We were treated like regulars even though it had been a year since our last visit.

• Visited August 2012
Orlando, Florida
“First class, don't miss it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

I had the pleasure of dining here for Sunday brunch a few weeks ago. First, I was struck by the fact that in a depressed economy, and in a city like Jackson that's had so many economic setbacks, the place was packed. It made my heart leap up. What was once a Shoney's, where I enjoyed many late night breakfast buffets in college, has been transformed into a chic, modern space. There's a baby grand piano in the bar, and when we walked in, there was a Dixie Land band playing. I only wish we could have been seated closer to the music. My friend and I had 25 years to catch up on, so we weren't in a hurry. Our server could not have been more accommodating. My friend ordered the chicken Asian salad, which was beautiful. She said she orders this salad every time she has lunch or brunch here. I had the eggs benedict, which were served over crab cakes. The crab cakes, in all fairness, are my favorite of all time. There is very little filler, and not one shell was left behind. Even they way they toasted the English muffin was buttery and delicious. My only complaint, is that my eggs were a little over done for my taste. I should have specified I didn't want the yolks cooked at all. They also have a great wine/champagne selection, which we took advantage of. I'll definitely be back, on my next visit to Jackson.

• Visited August 2012
Jackson, Mississippi
“Steaks and Salads”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

I like this establishment because although the menu isn't extensive, they do what they do- really well. Steaks, salads, and according to my son, burgers, are really great. Their steaks are always good cuts- I may have a disorder because this is REALLY important to me!! They are a little pricey, but they are fair in the portion sizes. The bar seems to be a great place for more mature locals, but isn't really my scene. Lunch is my favorite time to go- especially on weekends, because the atmosphere is relaxed and slow.

Visited September 2011