“Unable to get reservation”
Review of Ciao Bella - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I wanted to try this restaurant and saw a groupon offer. I bought one for me and another for a friend. I tried to call multiple times to make a reservation and had no luck. I left a message. No luck. I left a request on an email with possible dates I would like. No answer after one week. I tried to go to the restaurant directly but the door was locked at 5pm on a Tuesday. I was beginning to think it had closed. I make one other attempt to call and finally got an answer. They indicated they had not gotten back to me yet! WOW, great customer relations! They had no reservations available until August. My coupon expired in March. The restaurant still looks intriguing but getting in is a roll of the dice.

2  Thank NancyW958

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We bought a chef's tasting 8 course deal for two in mid-December from Groupon for $89, and would do it again in a heartbeat. From our degustation experiences at Charlie Trotter's, Commander's Palace, Emeril's Delmonico, etc. I would value this meal at $70 to $80 per person.

The background story of the manager/owner and the Maitre 'd was amusing and adds to the charm of this work in progress. We will be sure to return as soon as they get their liquor license.

The courses were obviously fresh and prepared with care and passion. The timings were spot on, and both the manager/owner and the Maitre 'd took care to explain each dish and tell its story. They seem to love what they do, and that makes for a fine night out.

1  Thank Brugun
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Its hard to write a meaningful review of Ciao Bella because it seems to be still a work in progress. My dining experience came as a result of a Groupon offer; an 8 course French tasting dinner for two. It sounded like fun, so I bought the Groupon for $89.00. Supposedly, this was a $200.00 value. More about that later.
I had some initial concerns about the deal when I found it very difficult to contact the restaurant to make reservations. Their web site was rather confusing about hours of operation and how and when reservations would be accepted. Emails to the restaurant were unanswered, and voice messages left on their answering machine were not returned. Finally I was able to reach the restaurant and made reservations just before the Groupon was to expire.
When I made my reservations I was told that they did not yet have a wine and liquor license, so I would need to bring my own wine. No problem. In fact, they gave me some excellent suggestions for wines to bring to compliment the menu they would prepare.
We arrived to find a very small and intimate restaurant. No more than 12 tables, several of which were for 2 people. The atmosphere was dressy without being pretentious. Very nicely done.
The Maitre 'd showed us to our table and the manager came over to introduce himself and explain how the tasting would work. It was pretty basic; we were served 8 different items, in sequence, along with the appropriate wine pairing. The servings were quite small, as the tasting format would require - and were absolutely delicious! The preparation was perfect as was the presentation. We had almost too much time between courses, but it was an excellent time to just enjoy the wine and the conversation. BTW, from start to finish the meal took just under 3 hours.
Despite my initial misgivings about being able to make reservations, the entire experience turned out to be delightful. It's a place we'll return IF they are able to make everything come together. I hope they are successful since Jackson has so few restaurants that would qualify as fine dining. As of right now, I don't think they have any business at all except their Groupon offerings. They have no menu and do not accept walk in's. Their manager told us that as soon as they get their wine/liquor license they will open up an upscale wine bar adjacent to the restaurant. I understand that for awhile they were serving a breakfast and brunch, but not sure if they still do that.
I mentioned the Groupon cost: The Groupon price of $89. was a fair price for the tasting menu. I don't believe it would have been marketable at the $200. they claimed, particularly since it did not include any wine. Still, I was very happy to pay $89, plus a generous tip, for a totally enjoyable experience.
When (If) Ciao Bella becomes a viable restaurant, we'll be regular customers, and I would recommend it to my friends. BTW, their version of Vichyssoise, served warm instead of cold, was incredible!

1  Thank macwim
Reviewed November 27, 2012

If you want to feel like you're taking a trip around the world for dinner, you must try this place. We did the 8 course tasting and every bite was mouth watering. I'm a vegetarian but with a few days notice the chef was delighted to prepare mine sans meat (and mine was just as tasty, maybe better). Each course was explained and the host will take as much or as little time with you as you like. The atmosphere was cozy and we can't wait for the downstairs jazz bar to open. When we went they didn't have their liquor license but we called and the host made some wine recommendations to go with our meal so we stopped on our way there. He was spot-on with his recommendations. The ingredients for each dish is flown in from the country they represent. We will go back!

2  Thank JWinMadison