“French Old Masters TO Monet Exhibition” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 52 things to do in Jackson
More attraction details
Owner description: The Mississippi Museum of Art is the largest art museum in the state and has been a community-supported institution for more than 100 years. Come enjoy our exhibitions, events, and The Art Garden year round. Admission to the Museum is free, with the exception of some special ticketed exhibitions. Art is the story. Find it here.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
New Orleans
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“French Old Masters TO Monet Exhibition”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The 50 French Paintings are arranged in chronological order. There is some information by each painting but not as much as required. My daughter is an Art History student & she said in the National Gallery in London there is much more information given. The exhibition has major French names inc. David, Manet, Monet, Delacroix. But the paintings shown are not the major works. However my daughter was thrilled to see 2 paintings from her art exams on display. An audio tour would've been a nice inclusion. The museum parking is a nightmare. It has no dedicated car park. As it was Sunday we parked in a 2 hour small lot & hoped for the best. We were fine. Actually the exhibition took an hour. If you are an Old Masters art lover then this a rare chance to see them down here in the Deep South. Truthfully my grading is better than OK but not great due to the parking & the rest of the Museum. So 3.5 stars.

Visited June 2013

Lakewood, Colorado
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“We enjoyed the free permanent collection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We visited in May, 2013. We walked through the free permanent collection and spent more than an hour looking at the paintings and photographs. I'm not an art person, but I really enjoyed some of the scenes and the images. I'd go again.

Two things: while we were there, there was apparently some work going on in back. Not only could we hear hammers banging and saws wailing, but the workers were also playing (loudly) a radio. I realize that progress happens, but the noise was very distracting. Also, I asked about a coat check or storage lockers where I could put my backpack. The girl at the reception pointed me to their coat closet, which turns out to be an unsecured cubbyhole where a few disorganized hangers hung on a rod. I certainly wasn't going to leave a backpack full of my valuables there.

The current traveling exhibit, "Old Masters to Money" costs $12 per person. We decided we'd seen enough art and the additional cost wasn't worth it to us.

Visited May 2013
Mobile, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Monet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Although small, a great museum. The Impressionist exhibit was very good and so their permanent collection. The grounds are beautiful.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Margie C
Atlanta, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Nice assortment of art”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I saw the current exhibit (Old Masters to Monet). It was a very interesting presentation of French art. The works showed the progression of French art over hundreds of years. There were lots of familiar names but only one or two of each of their works. I felt like I was back in my college art history class. We briefly viewed some of the other exhibits but were limited in time. The gardens outside were beautiful, too.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank AnonATL
Ridgeland, Mississippi
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Excellent regional museum.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Saw "Old Masters to Monet" exhibition last week. Museum exhibits both works from it's permanent collection and prestigious traveling shows. Nice cafe and Art Garden on the campus.

Visited April 2013