“We enjoyed the free permanent collection”

Mississippi Museum of Art
Ranked #5 of 53 things to do in Jackson
More attraction details
Owner description: The Mississippi Museum of Art is the largest art museum in the state and has been a community-supported institution for more than 100 years. Come enjoy our exhibitions, events, and The Art Garden year round. Admission to the Museum is free, with the exception of some special ticketed exhibitions. Art is the story. Find it here.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We visited in May, 2013. We walked through the free permanent collection and spent more than an hour looking at the paintings and photographs. I'm not an art person, but I really enjoyed some of the scenes and the images. I'd go again.

Two things: while we were there, there was apparently some work going on in back. Not only could we hear hammers banging and saws wailing, but the workers were also playing (loudly) a radio. I realize that progress happens, but the noise was very distracting. Also, I asked about a coat check or storage lockers where I could put my backpack. The girl at the reception pointed me to their coat closet, which turns out to be an unsecured cubbyhole where a few disorganized hangers hung on a rod. I certainly wasn't going to leave a backpack full of my valuables there.

The current traveling exhibit, "Old Masters to Money" costs $12 per person. We decided we'd seen enough art and the additional cost wasn't worth it to us.

There are newer reviews for Mississippi Museum of Art

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Although small, a great museum. The Impressionist exhibit was very good and so their permanent collection. The grounds are beautiful.

1  Thank Margie C
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I saw the current exhibit (Old Masters to Monet). It was a very interesting presentation of French art. The works showed the progression of French art over hundreds of years. There were lots of familiar names but only one or two of each of their works. I felt like I was back in my college art history class. We briefly viewed some of the other exhibits but were limited in time. The gardens outside were beautiful, too.

1  Thank AnonATL
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Saw "Old Masters to Monet" exhibition last week. Museum exhibits both works from it's permanent collection and prestigious traveling shows. Nice cafe and Art Garden on the campus.

1  Thank CassidyBayou
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Right now (mid-February), there are no blockbuster exhibitions on view. (The French Impressionists from the Wadsworth Athenaeum in Hartford, Conn. have not yet arrived.) However, it is worth going to see the museum's permanent exhibition of "The Mississippi Story," with great paintings, photographs, statues, textiles, and some books. This is shown in many, many galleries, and is organized geographically (the Delta, Jackson area, etc.) or technically (portraits). The walls bear interesting quotations from some of Mississippi's many, many talented writers (Eudora Welty, William Faulkner, Willie Morris, etc., etc.) In addition, there are currently two other exhibitions: (1) of extremely good art students' work, and (2) paintings and prints that are for sale as a fund-raising endeavor.

3  Thank Professional-Pilgrim