“good but limited choices”
Review of Abeba Ethiopian Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Abeba Ethiopian Restaurant
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Jackson, Mississippi
“good but limited choices”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I have never eaten Ethiopian food before, so have nothing to compare it with. Most of the food is vegetarian, served family style. The bread is spongy, but good. Salad was good. Meat dishes were spicy and cooked like a stew. Nice waiters and very attentive service.

• Visited January 2012

Mississippi
“Glad that the city has an Ethiopian Restaurant but disappointed with the food”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I was looking forward to the grand opening and having Ethiopian food without having to drive to Memphis or Atlanta.
We tried 2 meats chicken and beef and also ordered a veggie platter but the veggie dish didn't have flavor. The chicken was spicy and it was OK. The beef was not as good as the chicken. There was no other flavor but heat from spicy.
They didn't offer any traditional hot or cold tea they used Lipton which was a big let down since I was looking forward to some really good tea.
I had to ask for a coke because even the tea had a funny taste.
I will continue to drive to Memphis to get good Ethiopian.
The atmosphere was also pretty bad. They didn't bother to turn on the lights or have music and due to the lack of customers we could hear ourselves eat. It was not a welcoming environment.

• Visited October 2011
MS
“I wish them well, but.....”
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Jackson, MS has little in the way of diversity in its dining choices, so I was anxious to try Abeba. I’d eaten in Ethiopian restaurants in Wash DC, and while the cuisine is not my favorite, it can be interesting and I enjoyed the presentation. What I found at Abeba was not at all like what I’d experienced before. Part of the enjoyment of eating in ethnic restaurants is the setting, usually having some connection or relevance to the type of food served. Abeba looked like a cross between a soup kitchen and a church fellowship hall. The only décor I noticed was a lighted Corona sign.
This was a lunchtime visit, so I tried their buffet ($15.00 including tax and tip). Ordering from their menu may have been better, but I’m not familiar enough with Ethiopian food to know what to order, and the server suggested the buffet as a way to get a taste of several different dishes. The buffet consisted of 4 vegetable dishes, 3 salads, including a mixed green salad, and two versions of a meat dish – spicy and bland. I was not impressed with anything I had. Ethiopian food is traditionally eaten with your fingers, using a twist and scoop motion with a piece of torn bread similar to a flour tortilla. The bread at Abeba was more like a thin pancake. Soft and spongy. I have no idea which is the more authentic, but the spongy texture of the bread made it very difficult to do the twist and scoop thing. I found the vegetables to be uninspired. Imagine eating creamed corn and collard greens using a piece of pancake as a scoop. I couldn’t discern any particular spice or seasoning. Neither were the salads to my liking. Unappetizing to look at and with a flavor I just didn’t care for. The meat dishes were very small pieces of beef in a thin gravy or broth. One had a moderate amount of heat, the other pretty bland.
Service at Abeba was consistent with the food. There were only two servers during lunch, but given that there were only five customers, including myself, not a bad ratio. Guess that should have been a clue, huh? Both appeared to be totally disinterested in their job.
I realize that this review reads as if it were written by some crotchety old malcontent that doesn’t like anything. That’s not the case. I eat out often and well. Most of the reviews I’ve written have been very favorable.
I wish I could find something positive to say about Abeba, but it’s just not there. I wish this restaurant well, but I doubt that it will be around very long.

Visited November 2011