“Management does try but”

Best Western Plus Jackson Downtown-Coliseum
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Jackson
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Pros:
First off, you can see that management has been trying to improve this hotel. They have a strict non-smoking policy that you have to sign for and they are undergoing a significant renovation project. The hotel is also conveniently located right next to the interstate so its definitely an easy exit and easy stop for travelers.
Cons:
The renovation left nothing usable in the lobby. Breakfast had to be served in one of the downstairs hotel rooms. They have a key activated security gate that is good for safety but instead somehow just shows how the area is unsafe. The pool in the back is in-between parking and the garbage that is not at all inviting to swim in. They had a notice in the bathroom that states "due to the popularity of our hotel items" that items in their rooms are available for purchase from the housekeeper and that when items are missing then they assume that guest have pre-approved the corresponding charges on their credit card. The worst was that the receptionist mentioned that the hotel has a strict non-smoking policy since, and I quote, "people used to smoke pot and management has been trying hard to get rid of the smell". That made me want to leave and run! I would have except I already paid for the place online sight unseen.

All in all, i appreciate the hotel management's efforts to improve the hotel and keep guests safe but I would not go back and stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
2  Thank CRISTINA S
Love2Travel00101, Manager at Best Western Plus Jackson Downtown-Coliseum, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thank You so much for your review. We appreciate your concern regarding our property and I assure you we are doing the best we can in making this hotel the best it can be. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during breakfast; however, our breakfast quality and HOT items are readily available for all guests during this temporary breakfast relocation. We are working extremely hard to quickly finish our lobby for an even better experience for our guests. In addition, our gated property was installed for parking issues with our property. Best Western Executive Inn is situated next to the MS Coliseum where the largest events in MS take place on this exit. During these events parking is very crucial and a gate was installed to assure each guest a parking space. Located off I-55 with much traffic - our location is in fact very safe. By the end of January 2013, our lobby will be completed with a refreshed look and many hot breakfast items. The 100% non smoking policy was instilled to keep our hotel fresh and clean for all guests and has been non smoking for almost a year now. Thank You for your review and we hope you give us another opportunity to offer you a better experience in the future. We care about our guests and are listening to make Best Western Executive Inn one of the best hotels in Jackson, MS.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Jackson Downtown-Coliseum

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Recently had a one night stay at Best Western Executive Inn. The room had been renovated and was very nice. The lobby was still under construction. Breakfast was available in the mornings. We will definately stay here again when in Jackson.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We recently booked into the Best Western Executive Inn due primarily to the location, price and latest Tripadvisor reviews. All of the rooms have been renovated although the lobby expansion was still underway. We understand that this area will be completed with a greatly expanded breakfast offering before the year is up.

Access is right off I - 55, easy to find and enter. However, when you park in a gated, fenced in parking area in a downtown location you can feel that you need to look over your shoulder. After considering what we didn't see in the area, street people, we decided that the secured parking area was probably due more to the Jackson Trade Mart (convention complex) immediately across High Street than the neighborhood.

Rooms were clean without that old hotel smell and offered amenities and comfort beyond expectation. We were well satisfied even if the price had been higher.

There is an area worthy of note. Someone in management at the hotel apparently realized that friendly courteous service in a service business is important. We dealt with two different desk clerks while here and thought they did a fantastic job. I even meant to mention one of the ladies by name, got her card, but messed up and lost it. Typically in lower priced operations you find people who are just doing a job and not interested in doing it properly, not the case here. We had taken over one of the breakfast area tables after dinner and saw the lady on duty running around with her bottle of cleaning solution spot cleaning all over the place. Again, this is in an area that was under renovation, but visible to the guests.

Room Tip: We were on the back side and never heard traffic from the street or parking lot.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My stay at the Best Western was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had at a hotel. The staff was very accommodating and the rooms were immaculate! Not only are the rooms newly remodeled, they were also very clean, which is very important to me and my family. Along with the hospitality from the Front Desk, the housekeeping staff really knows how to do their job! The breakfast bar was full of different choices, which was super helpful for my picky family. Another plus was the gated parking. This hotel is one of the only ones that has a gated parking parking lot, which is a serious plus. All in all I really enjoyed my stay at the Best Western Executive Inn and I would recommend them to everyone. If you are looking for a caring and helpful staff, clean rooms, and a host of different amenities then this is your place. Cant wait to come back!

Room Tip: If possible, get a groom facing the highway. Nice view of Jackson.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vanessa J
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Would NEVER EVER stay here again. They are working on renovations to the public area but everything needs refurbishing. The rooms were clean and the linens fine but, those were the only positive. They cleared breakfast before 9am and my husband had to chase down the syrup and silverware for his waffle. No southern
hospitality in evidence from the breakfast crew! We were approached by a panhandler as we loaded our car at the front door.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lisa B
Love2Travel00101, Manager at Best Western Plus Jackson Downtown-Coliseum, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

First and foremost I would like to thank you for your review and would like to apologize with your experience with our hotel. We are currently renovating our public areas and rooms at the current moment and are expected to be completed by first quarter 2013. This does not excuse us from not providing great service. I would like to research your stay with us further. Please inbox me your contact information so I can look into this issue.. Thanks again -We hope you give us another opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed here recently and the rooms were newly renovated with a gate around the hotel to ensure safety for my family, even though it was very quiet. The manager Dave was very polite and helpful in making our stay as comfortable as can be in a hotel. The hotel is very convenient because it's close to the airport. Overall very nice rooms and comfortable beds!!! Highly recommended..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thanks for your review! We are doing our best to make this hotel the cleanest and safest hotel in Jackson, MS. Come back soon!

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel few weeks ago and just wanted to say it was the cleanest and a very friendly place I have stayed in a long time. When me and my husband checked in the desk Clark was very friendly offered us everything we needed. The next morning at check out the housekeeper who was on our floor spoke to us and asked us how our stay was and if we enjoyed it. It very rare to find employees like that. The rooms were absolute clean and smelled very fresh. I'm very please that my money went to this hotel!

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you so much for your review! We have many new changes coming to our hotel..come back to see us again soon.